This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manjaro 16.08

I was perusing YouTube for distro reviews and saw this fellow explaining why he was switching from Ubuntu to Mandaro 16.08. Curious, I DL'd the 64b version, verified its sh1sum and created a guest OS of it on my VB installation. I installed it directly from the ISO without burning a LiveCD or LiveUSB. I gave it 2 core, 4GB of RAM and a 100GB VDI, of which 8 GB was SWAP. Manjaro is a rolling release, meaning that you are always on the front edge (not the bleeding edge) of software updates. Supposedly, you'll never have to reinstall from a point release again, although point releases are created as a means for new users (and re-installers) to install Manjaro for the first time.

During the first attempt at the install the graphic installer seem to freeze at the 26% mark. I opened ksysmonitor to see what was taking all the time. Immediately the installation program crashed with a complaint a kernel installation failure. I restarted the installation program but this time let it set on the 26%. After more than 5 minutes, it moved off of 26% and finished the installation. About 20-25 minutes. Rather then reboot, I shut the LiveISO down, removed the ISO from the virtual CDROM, and restarted it.

It took about 1 minute to reach the login prompt and another minute to present a desktop. For a plasma5 installation populated with lots of services that is just about right. The more services you've installed the longer the boot times for both the system and the desktop.

Octopii, which I have used before when I played around with Arch (which Manjaro is based on) was pulsating in the system tray, announcing that there were 268 packages ready to be updated. I left clicked on Octopii and was presented with the Octopii GUI for adding and removing packages. I selected the update option. It synced several repositories and then proceeded to do the update. Almost immediately it reported dependency errors and was forced to quit. Repeating the process brought the same results. Knowing that, in Kubuntu, when the GUI sometimes gives a failure the CLI does not. I resorted to using pacman as root, but it reported exactly the same errors. Catch-22. This installation could not be upgraded until the repository fixed their dependency errors.

I decided to browse around the installation to get an idea of what it could do. My first impression was that unlike Neon or Maui, The Manjaro desktop was ... ugly. It appeared to be a combination of Qt's graphic API mixed in with ASCII Art bits, although there wasn't really any ASCII graphics on the desktop. Of course, anyone who knows how to use KDE could customize the desktop however they wished rather quickly. When the various utilities were called up (Dolphin, SystemSettings5, etc...) they looked like the standard basic KDE utilities. Even the menu system looked standard.

I focused on the SystemSetting5 GUI, which tells me just how much of Plasma5 is active and ready to use. I saw the Systemd GUI, the good one, present and ran it. Nice. But it is NOT in Neon, yet. Then I noticed some services. xF86config? I hadn't seen that video configuration package on any distro in years! Just like Kubuntu 16.04, Manjaro 16.08 was a combination of sysVinit services via Upstart, plus Systemd services. The /etc/init.d/ directory, just like Kubuntu's, was filled with Upstart/sysVinit scripts to start, stop, reload services. Neon has about 66 files in /etc/init.d/ and so does Manjaro. Sometime in the near future, for both distros will remove Upstart entirely and depend totally and only on Systemd. Conversions take time.

Besides the temporary inability to upgrade packages with either pacman or Octopii, the only compelling reason to use Manjaro (or Arch) is the rolling release feature, which I find is an insufficient reason. I like the idea of an LST release, especially for the 5 year model. In five years one can build up a lot of historical data and application cruft. Reinstalling from an LTS point release after a backup of all data, gives the distro a clean foundation. Also, 6 years is two computer generations. In two months my laptop will be a grandfather: 3rd generation. It's CPU thermal paste is drying out, the HD is losing reserve sectors, the letters are wearing off of the keys, and both the CPU and the GPU are too slow. If I weren't paying off two gigantic hospital bills this msg would be coming from a new System76 laptop with a 17" display, an i7 CPU, 16GB of RAM and an NVidia GPU with 8GB as the primary, and a 2TB HD. But at the earliest that's two years away. By then, 2019, both Kubuntu 1404 and 16.04 will be at EOL and we'll be ready for the next 5 year LTS.

Meanwhile, I'm upgrading Neon and I've deleted Manjaro's guest OS.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 03, 2016, 10:21 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Good report, thanks. I will save me some testing time by skipping Manjaro.
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

The AUR is the best part of Arch, & because Manjaro is just a freezing of what the devs consider stable- the AUR doesn't always play nicely with it

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
      Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

I never really liked Mandrfake / Mandriva or it's packing system or even the artwork, but...

I did no less than two (2) of their "install parties" at the college over a two year period.

I e-mailed and asked for the promotional packages, etc, to give away to the students, never got a reply.

i took digital pics of the students..... the first go around was 16 I think that the next was 11 or 12 and they all had fun.

The students had dutifully went to the Mandriva links, etc and also saw...........that I was giving them stuff photocopied at the school....

Got nary a reply post install party......

I e-mailed for the last one that they had , got nary a reply and dropped it..

A couple of years, or maybe one year later it went defunct and was reborn as Open Mandriva.. or something..but i had completely lost interest.
        woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Interesting experience you had there, woodsmoker! I would say that in the Linux world we need more "1,000 papercuts" sessions to create the best user experiences possible, and not more "distros" for the sake of having more "distros".
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

lol i had not thought of THAT! lol

I'm sure that if Kubuntu or say..... Mint had such parties that the follow through would be quick and complete , it was probably a situation of "thrashing around" to keep the distro relevant and too many chefs to make the soup.

There was never anything inherently wrong with the distro it just was not my particular taste.

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
              I never really liked Mandrfake / Mandriva or it's packing system or even the artwork, but...

I did no less than two (2) of their "install parties" at the college over a two year period.

I e-mailed and asked for the promotional packages, etc, to give away to the students, never got a reply.

i took digital pics of the students..... the first go around was 16 I think that the next was 11 or 12 and they all had fun.

The students had dutifully went to the Mandriva links, etc and also saw...........that I was giving them stuff photocopied at the school....

Got nary a reply post install party......

I e-mailed for the last one that they had , got nary a reply and dropped it..

A couple of years, or maybe one year later it went defunct and was reborn as Open Mandriva.. or something..but i had completely lost interest.
              woodsmoke
              Woodsmoke, the OP was not reviewing Mandriva but Manjaro. Two different distributions
              systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
              Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                I was perusing YouTube for distro reviews and saw this fellow explaining why he was switching from Ubuntu to Mandaro 16.08. Curious, I DL'd the 64b version, verified its sh1sum and created a guest OS of it on my VB installation. I installed it directly from the ISO without burning a LiveCD or LiveUSB. I gave it 2 core, 4GB of RAM and a 100GB VDI, of which 8 GB was SWAP. Manjaro is a rolling release, meaning that you are always on the front edge (not the bleeding edge) of software updates. Supposedly, you'll never have to reinstall from a point release again, although point releases are created as a means for new users (and re-installers) to install Manjaro for the first time.

During the first attempt at the install the graphic installer seem to freeze at the 26% mark. I opened ksysmonitor to see what was taking all the time. Immediately the installation program crashed with a complaint a kernel installation failure. I restarted the installation program but this time let it set on the 26%. After more than 5 minutes, it moved off of 26% and finished the installation. About 20-25 minutes. Rather then reboot, I shut the LiveISO down, removed the ISO from the virtual CDROM, and restarted it.

It took about 1 minute to reach the login prompt and another minute to present a desktop. For a plasma5 installation populated with lots of services that is just about right. The more services you've installed the longer the boot times for both the system and the desktop.

Octopii, which I have used before when I played around with Arch (which Manjaro is based on) was pulsating in the system tray, announcing that there were 268 packages ready to be updated. I left clicked on Octopii and was presented with the Octopii GUI for adding and removing packages. I selected the update option. It synced several repositories and then proceeded to do the update. Almost immediately it reported dependency errors and was forced to quit. Repeating the process brought the same results. Knowing that, in Kubuntu, when the GUI sometimes gives a failure the CLI does not. I resorted to using pacman as root, but it reported exactly the same errors. Catch-22. This installation could not be upgraded until the repository fixed their dependency errors.

I decided to browse around the installation to get an idea of what it could do. My first impression was that unlike Neon or Maui, The Manjaro desktop was ... ugly. It appeared to be a combination of Qt's graphic API mixed in with ASCII Art bits, although there wasn't really any ASCII graphics on the desktop. Of course, anyone who knows how to use KDE could customize the desktop however they wished rather quickly. When the various utilities were called up (Dolphin, SystemSettings5, etc...) they looked like the standard basic KDE utilities. Even the menu system looked standard.

I focused on the SystemSetting5 GUI, which tells me just how much of Plasma5 is active and ready to use. I saw the Systemd GUI, the good one, present and ran it. Nice. But it is NOT in Neon, yet. Then I noticed some services. xF86config? I hadn't seen that video configuration package on any distro in years! Just like Kubuntu 16.04, Manjaro 16.08 was a combination of sysVinit services via Upstart, plus Systemd services. The /etc/init.d/ directory, just like Kubuntu's, was filled with Upstart/sysVinit scripts to start, stop, reload services. Neon has about 66 files in /etc/init.d/ and so does Manjaro. Sometime in the near future, for both distros will remove Upstart entirely and depend totally and only on Systemd. Conversions take time.

Besides the temporary inability to upgrade packages with either pacman or Octopii, the only compelling reason to use Manjaro (or Arch) is the rolling release feature, which I find is an insufficient reason. I like the idea of an LST release, especially for the 5 year model. In five years one can build up a lot of historical data and application cruft. Reinstalling from an LTS point release after a backup of all data, gives the distro a clean foundation. Also, 6 years is two computer generations. In two months my laptop will be a grandfather: 3rd generation. It's CPU thermal paste is drying out, the HD is losing reserve sectors, the letters are wearing off of the keys, and both the CPU and the GPU are too slow. If I weren't paying off two gigantic hospital bills this msg would be coming from a new System76 laptop with a 17" display, an i7 CPU, 16GB of RAM and an NVidia GPU with 8GB as the primary, and a 2TB HD. But at the earliest that's two years away. By then, 2019, both Kubuntu 1404 and 16.04 will be at EOL and we'll be ready for the next 5 year LTS.

Meanwhile, I'm upgrading Neon and I've deleted Manjaro's guest OS.
                Thank you for your review of Manjaro, I would just like to say...

What a load of rubbish!

As someone who has been using Manjaro for the past 2 years or so, using various desktop environments (Gnome shell, XFCE, KDE, LXQT, Cinnamon, Mate) I can say that Manjaro is one of the most stable and well built distributions out there. Testing Manjaro (or any distribution) in a virtual environment will not let you experience it in real world usage. Your review also reads that you never sought help with the issues you experienced through Manjaro's forums or IRC channel or Wiki pages. Instead you came across a few issues and decided to remove it from a virtual environment without properly testing it or using it.

I get the impression from your review that you are not happy with any distribution except Ubuntu (with KDE).

I would like to suggest that the next time you carry out a review of a distribution, that you install it the proper way (not in a virtual environment) and that you give it a decent length of time to test the entire distribution and not remove it after 10 minutes or so.

One other thing, Manjaro has never used Upstart, it is based upon Arch and has only used systemd, although you can replace systemd with OpenRC details of which can be found on their wiki pages.
                systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
                Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Comment

Manjaro 16.08

Rubbish? I suspect that you are referring to my experience and not Manjaro.

As some one who has used various versions of Linux as my main OS since 1998 and have rarely found a distro I didn't like, my experience with Manjaro is just that, MY experience. The ISO was downloaded from a link on their site. It was verified using sha1sum against their posted sum. It was run as a LiveUSB first. It ran fine in that scenario, but I never tried to update it while running the LiveUSB. I installed it as a guest OS, which IS a proper way to run it, contrary to your assertion. I've run dozens of distros as a guest OS in VirtualBox, and many reviews shown on YouTube are screen recordings of a distro running as a guest.

That I could not get Octopii or pacman to install pending updates was no fault of VB

That I considered the Manjaro desktop ugly is my opinion of what I saw. I said the same thing about KDE's Plasma5 desktop and were it not for KDE's customization ability I wouldn't be running it right now.

If you think I prefer Ubuntu your assumption is wrong. I prefer a distro that uses the deb packaging system and I've advocated rebasing Kubuntu on Debian DIRECTLY for years.

BTW, there is medicine that can treat your knee-jerk symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 08, 2016, 09:30 AM.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I take it that there is a Troll about here?

Comment

Trolls? Here? Pish and Balderdash! Let us not tolerate such behavior!
                      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                          I take it that there is a Troll about here?
                          Probably not. Just an enthusiastic Manjaro user who confused a personal opinion with FUD.
                          In case he comes back an excellent article on FUD by the founder of Linux Mint, "Clem", is here.

And, here is a posting of the latest OS statistics on DistroWatch:

Statistics for: DistroWatch.com
                          Last Update: 08 Oct 2016 - 21:00
                          Reported period: Month Oct 2016
                          Operating Systems
                          Windows 10,769,962 40 %
                          Windows XP 397,162 1.4 %
                          Windows Vista 959,338 3.5 %
                          Windows (unknown version) 71,785 0.2 %
                          Windows NT 5,046,548 18.7 %
                          Windows ME 71 0 %
                          Windows Vista (LongHorn) 78,520 0.2 %
                          Windows Mobile 141 0 %
                          Windows 98 195 0 %
                          Windows 95 4,101 0 %
                          Windows 7 4,187,595 15.5 %
                          Windows 2008 1 0 %
                          Windows 2003 19,889 0 %
                          Windows 2000 933 0 %
                          Windows 3.xx 3,683 0 %
                          BSD 91,864 0.3 %
                          OpenBSD 23,526 0 %
                          NetBSD 2,202 0 %
                          GNU/kFreeBSD 22 0 %
                          FreeBSD 66,114 0.2 %
                          Linux 13,051,611 48.5 %
                          Vine Linux 92 0 %
                          Ubuntu 609,225 2.2 %
                          Suse 2,474 0 %
                          Red Hat 204 0 %
                          PCLinuxOS 534 0 %
                          Mandriva (or Mandrake) 792 0 %
                          Gentoo 395 0 %
                          Fedora 803 0 %
                          Debian 2,489 0 %
                          Centos 124 0 %
                          ASPLinux 1 0 %
                          Google Android 1,061,244 3.9 %
                          GNU Linux (Unknown or unspecified distribution) 11,373,234 42.2 %
                          Macintosh 1,573,273 5.8 %
                          Mac OS X 1,569,308 5.8 %
                          Mac OS 3,965 0 %
                          Others 1,422,154 5.2 %
                          Unknown 1,301,596 4.8 %
                          Unknown Unix system 98,039 0.3 %
                          Java Mobile 11,539 0 %
                          Sony PlayStation 3,053 0 %
                          Java 2,575 0 %
                          BlackBerry 2,487 0 %
                          Sun Solaris 1,434 0 %
                          Nintendo Wii 499 0 %
                          Symbian OS 473 0 %
                          OS/2 147 0 %
                          GNU Hurd 96 0 %
                          RISC OS 60 0 %
                          iOS (iPhone/iPod/iPad/...) 52 0 %
                          AmigaOS 28 0 %
                          BeOS 28 0 %
                          Irix 21 0 %
                          Commodore 64 17 0 %
                          OSF Unix 6 0 %
                          Dreamcast 2 0 %
                          WebTV 2 0 %

Comment

Working...
                          X