This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maui 1 "Aurora"

Well, Blue Systems finally releases what appears to be the successor to NetRunner 17. It is based on KDE NEON. I updated my Asus as seen in the sig below. Fresh clean install.

In all very impressive. Seems more ironed out than KDE Neon itself. To date no KWIN crashes like I have with KDE Neon on the Desktop. Though I can't say apples to apples there as the Asus has an Intel Display and the Desktop NVidia. I'm fairly sure it's the NVidia driver causing KWIN to crash.

Maui comes with the normal defaults as NetRunner 17 did. Look and feel is nice and smooth, especially for a low end system like this Asus.

Kudos to Blue Systems on this one!

http://www.netrunner.com/netrunner-lts-becomes-maui/
    Last edited by MoonRise; Aug 16, 2016, 06:21 PM.

Just finished installing this into an Oracle VirtualBox VM. Installation was without incident. Posting this from my shiny new Maui 1 "Aurora". I'll play around with it off and on so as to see how it performs and how package updates effect it.

Added
    :
    Just updated the package cache -- pulls from xenial repositories -- and doing a full-upgrade (apt). 171 packages updated.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 16, 2016, 10:05 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160817_092814.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	643277

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Just finished installing this into an Oracle VirtualBox VM. Installation was without incident. Posting this from my shiny new Maui 1 "Aurora". I'll play around with it off and on so as to see how it performs and how package updates effect it.

Added
        :
        Just updated the package cache -- pulls from xenial repositories -- and doing a full-upgrade (apt). 171 packages updated.

I did the same, Snowhog, using my new VMof choice, virt-manager!

I must say, Maui 1 is extremely well polished and VERY beautiful.
        I wasn't aware of its origins and was surprised to see ubuntu5 files flowing down the pipe when I updated it.

Did I mention that Maui one is extremely well polished? I also installed openSUSE Leap-42 as a guest OS and compared to Maui it looks depressing. Instead of beautiful images of various features and installed apps it had a bold black title, some bullet points, a 48 pixel icon and the package name.

Did I mention that Maui1 is extremely well polished?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Did I mention that Maui1 is extremely well polished?
          Among those well-polished features are:

1. Mint Update Manager
          2. Synaptic Package Manager (Muon available in repositories)
          3. A more well developed collection of applications
          4. A nice! collection of default themes
          5. It is every bit as stable as Neon

Now the less than ideal news:
          1. Keyboard shortcuts to specific activities are not working (but they don't work in Neon, either).
          2. Organization of System Settings is classic Netrunner. Not a show-stopper by any means, but it does take getting used to. Tip: Can't find something? Look under Advanced > Other.
          3. Maui lags Neon by a trivial 4-5 days. This can easily be argued as a positive as the people at Blue Systems are using that time to verify update stability.

And yes, I agree. Maui is very well-polished.
          Last edited by DrGeoffrey; Aug 28, 2016, 11:57 AM.
          Lenovo T460s

Comment

Slightly modified from base with my theme. Left the background as I kind of like it for some reason. Also, I know the start button is Kubuntu. That is what my theme currently has. Will have to change that I guess.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DT20160828.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	643286

Comment

MoonRise - Is that Conky running on your desktop? If so, would you be willing to share your Conky configuration file?
              Lenovo T460s

Comment

It is, and yes, Hold on.

Bear in mind I have that intermittent issue of disappearing/reappearing act but I don't think it's my Conky file as I've compared it to everyone else's setup.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                  It is, and yes, Hold on.

Bear in mind I have that intermittent issue of disappearing/reappearing act but I don't think it's my Conky file as I've compared it to everyone else's setup.
                  it is a general plasma 5 issue with conky.
                  On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Note: I use the Georgia FONT type from Windows. You can change that to what ever you want. As far as the power monitor I do use an APC battery backup connected via USB and I use APCUPSD to get the entries in the conky file to read that. I'm sure a few IF statements will let you control the color if it did go to battery and warn you of low battery but I didn't go that far. The IF statement I have for the OS Release name was designed to make Ubuntu read Kubuntu and if the OS release wasn't Ubuntu then display whatever issue it is.

Code:
                    # Create own window instead of using desktop (required in nautilus)
                    own_window yes
                    own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
                    own_window_type dock
                    own_window_transparent yes
                    own_window_argb_visual yes
                    temperature_unit fahrenheit

background no
                    maximum_width 255

# Use double buffering (reduces flicker, may not work for everyone)
                    double_buffer yes

# fiddle with window
                    use_spacer right

# Update interval in seconds
                    update_interval 2

# Minimum size of text area
                    minimum_size 450 800

# Draw shades?
                    draw_shades yes

draw_graph_borders no
                    draw_borders no
                    border_width 10

# Default colors and also border colors, grey90 == #e5e5e5
                    default_color white
                    default_shade_color black
                    default_outline_color white

# Text alignment
                    alignment top_left

# Gap between borders of screen and text
                    gap_x 5
                    gap_y 5

# Text stuff
                    draw_outline no # amplifies text if yes
                    uppercase no # set to yes if you want all text to be in uppercase
                    override_utf8_locale yes
                    use_xft yes
                    xftfont Terminus:size=9
                    xftalpha 0.8
                    text_buffer_size 3000
                    double_buffer yes
                    ########## BEGIN FORMATTED DISPLAY ##########
                    TEXT
                    ${if_match "${exec awk -F" " '{ printf tolower ($1) " "}' /etc/issue}" == "ubuntu"}\
                      ${font Georgia:size=20}${alignc}K${exec awk -F" " '{ printf tolower ($1) " "}' /etc/issue}:  ${nodename}
                    ${else}
                      ${font Georgia:size=20}${alignc}${exec awk -F" " '{ printf ($1) " " ($2)}' /etc/issue}: ${font Georgia:size=20}${nodename}
                    ${endif}${font Georgia:size=20}${alignc}${time %l:%M %P}
                    ${alignc}${time %Y/%m/%d  (%a)}

${font Georgia:size=25}${font Georgia:size=21}CPU ${font}${hr 1}
                    ${color #72D5A3}CPU:   ${color }${cpu cpu0}%
                    ${color #72D5A3}${cpugraph cpu0 15,100 72D5A3 72D5A3}

${color #72D5A3}Processes:${color }  $processes
                    ${color #72D5A3}Running:${color }     $running_processes

${font Georgia:size=25}${font Georgia:size=21}Memory ${font}${hr 1}

${color 94BFF3}RAM used: $mem${alignr}${membar 5,100}
                    ${color 94BFF3}RAM free: $memfree
                    ${color 94BFF3}RAM total: $memmax
                    ${color 94BFF3}SWAP: $swap${alignr}${swapbar 5,100}
                    ${color 94BFF3}ROOT used: $fs_used${alignr}${fs_bar 5,100 /}
                    ${color 94BFF3}ROOT total: $fs_size
                    ${color 94BFF3}HOME used: ${fs_used /home}${alignr}${fs_bar 5,100 /home}
                    ${color 94BFF3}HOME total: ${fs_size /home}

${color ffffff}${font Georgia:size=25}${font Georgia:size=21}Vitals ${font}${hr 1} 

${color #72D5A3}CPU Temp:${color }${alignr}${execi 10 sensors -f | grep "Core 0" | cut -d "+" -f2 | cut -c1-7}F
                    ${color #72D5A3}System Temp:${color }${alignr}${execi 10 sensors -f | grep "temp1" | cut -d "+" -f2 | cut -c1-7}F

${color #72D5A3}Up Time:${color }${alignr}${uptime}
                    ${apcupsd localhost 3551}${alignc}${apcupsd_name}
                    ${color #72D5A3}Battery Charge:${color }${alignr}${apcupsd_charge}%
                    ${color #72D5A3}Line Voltage:${color }${alignr}${apcupsd_linev}v
                    ${color #72D5A3}UPS Status:${color }${alignr}${apcupsd_status}
                    Last edited by MoonRise; Aug 28, 2016, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Thank you!
                      Lenovo T460s

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                        it is a general plasma 5 issue with conky.
                        Appears to be resolved in Frameworks v5.25; mine has been stable and I even got to get rid of the window rule I was using to keep it (mostly) stable
                        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                        -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by DrGeoffrey View Post
                          Thank you!
                          You are most welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
                            Appears to be resolved in Frameworks v5.25; mine has been stable and I even got to get rid of the window rule I was using to keep it (mostly) stable
                            Wish I could say the same!

EDIT: well, since this post I have to say I haven't had the issue. Something did change though. Before I posted my conky file here, I cleaned it up and removed a bunch of commented out items I left just for "history". Since then it has not once done that act. Of course now that I post this it will start back up!
                            Last edited by MoonRise; Aug 28, 2016, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Well, that conky issue started again and I started seeing a pattern. Starting conky with the -d option did help some but not quite. It is what helped me see the pattern.

What the issue was is this is a laptop and I had conky set to monitor the Battery. For whatever reason that was causing it to fault and close out. I have had conky on for a week with no issues since commenting that out. Wonder if that is isolated to my machine or something indicative to conky and that part of it's commands.

Comment

Working...
                              X