This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MiniDLNA

So this past week I have been doing some home improvements.

New vinyl floor in the Kitchen with all new appliances Refrigerator (bottom freezer) , stove , washer , dryer all whirlpool and a microwave and keurig ,,,,,,,, yay ,,,,

AND a new Harman Kardon AVR 2700 Audio/Video receiver 7.1 surround sound 100W per Chanel with network - playing through a set of 130W Onkyo 7.1 surround speakers with a 280W sub woofer.

O ya the thing sead it was DLNA compliant ,,,,,,,,,,

Listening to Media via Your Home Network
    Your AVR is DLNA-compatible and can access MP3 and WMA audio media that is stored
    on other DLNA-compatible devices that are connected to the same network as your AVR.

DLNA is a file sharing protocol that creates a bridge between the AVR and other devices
    on the same network that contain audio media. DLNA is supported by PCs that have
    Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center or Intel Media Server file sharing. Apple
    computers can also share files via DLNA using HARMAN Music Manager software, which
    can be downloaded without charge from www.harmankardon.com. (Third-party software
    that enables DLNA file-sharing also is available.)

MP3 compatibility: Mono or stereo, contstant bit rates (CBR) from 8kbps to 320kbps,
    variable bit rates (VBR) from lowest to highest quality, with sample rates from 8kHz –
    48kHz.

WMA compatibility: Ver. 9.2, stereo CBR with 32kHz – 48kHz sampling rate and 40kbps
    – 192kbps bit rate, mono CBR with 8kHz – 16kHz sampling rate and 5kbps – 16kbps bit
    rate, VBR Pass Encoding and Quality Encoding 10 – 98, 44kHz and 48kHz sampling rate.
    So wile I was setting this Beast up I set the desktop running Kubuntu-14.04 that the wife usually uses for Amazon Video/Music and netflix as "Media server" input , (HDMI4((it has 8+1 HDMI inputs)) ) , and installed "MiniDLNA" on the desktop spent 5 minutes googling and editing /etc/minidlna.conf ,,,,,,,,and low and behold I can browse and play the Music folder on the desktop with the AVR's OSD on the TV

this is nice ,,,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

New vinyl floor in the Kitchen
    Sheet vinyl, or tiles? (Mastic or self-stick?) What was existing in the kitchen before you laid down the new vinyl?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yup. Been using minidlna for years; for what it does it's pretty neat - my whole house gets video from an old Atom N270 netbook
      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
      -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
        Sheet vinyl, or tiles? (Mastic or self-stick?) What was existing in the kitchen before you laid down the new vinyl?
        he he he ,,,,,,,, well ,,,, the reason we did a new floor was ,,, the last one we did (4-5 years ago) was peal and stick vinyl tiles on top of existing sheet linoleum.

But they never stuck good and started shifting around , overlapping and getting broken by sliding chairs .

So I decided to take them up and put down a soled sheet on top of the original old stuff , However , upon removal of the vinyl tiles I was left with a sticky layer of glue ,,,, no way was I going to be able to slide a sheet into position to be cut in on that .

So I go to Lows and describe my situation to the floor person ,, get recommended a product (a flooring adhesive striper) try it ,,,,,,,nope just melts it until the chemical evaporates then the stickiness is still on the floor .

try agin this time with "goofoff" ,,,,nope now I get a headache along with the reappearing glue , ,,,,,,, this time on the way back to Lows to bitch and wine I look over and see the sine for a flooring company ,,,,,O ya I forgot they were even on this street , So I pull in , tell my story ,,,,, the man chuckles ,,,,, naw he sead you wont get the glue to go away like that , hold on a minute ,,,,,,,,, he walks to the back and reappears with a bag of trowel able floor skimmer/leveler
        $16.00

2 1/2 hours later I was cutting in my sheet and gluing it down

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Ha! Yeah, thanks for that. Your story tells exactly why I asked the question. Dealing with the existing flooring can be a PITA. Laying down the new is another issue, but is doable, but it relies on the floor prep. Your situation is different from mine. Brief: I have existing commercial (they call is "luxury" now) 12x12 vinyl, w/mastic. Want to go over it with 12x12 luxury vinyl. Looks like I may have to remove the existing! I need two 22-year old bucks in here with floor scrapers to do that! Thanks for telling. It confirms that ya gotta deal with it, you better not ignore it! :-)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
          X