X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a new Skype for Linux?

Just got this by email:

Introducing Skype for Linux (Alpha) We’re proud to announce Skype for Linux (Alpha). With new, faster and more responsive Skype for Web UI, you can now share files, photos and videos — as well as enjoy our range of emoticons ... We need your help to build a better Skype We’re giving you early access to try out Skype for Linux (Alpha) — bear in mind it’s an alpha version so functionality is limited. All your feedback will help us build a better Skype, so visit the Linux community to*day and give it a go ...
    https://community.skype.com/t5/Linux/bd-p/Linux
    What do you all make of this?

I thought I already had Skype for Linux!
    In 14.04, through Muon, Version 4.3.0.37-0ubuntu0.12.04.1.

I guess they (Skype/Microsoft) is working on a "better" Skype for Linux? Interestingly, my Skype in 14.04 is neater/better than the Skype we have in Windows 8 on the laptop! I am able to control more settings and such, a better user config menu.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

It's still the same version of Skype in Kubuntu 16.04, which has been the only version of Skype available for Linux since 2011.

I noticed that the new "Alpha" version will be written to be compatible ONLY with Chromebooks or the Chromium web browser. That leaves out FireFox. They also have blocked the use of the version of Skype in our repository, 4.3.0.37:
    ... but you won’t be able to make or receive calls to and from the previous versions of Skype for Linux (4.3.0.37)
    How nice of them to block use of the only working version available for Linux for the last decade. This from a company which aided the NSA in eaves dropping in on the calls of MILLIONS of Americans:
    Skype originally featured a hybrid peer-to-peer and client–server system.[27] Skype has been powered entirely by Microsoft-operated supernodes since May 2012.[28] The 2013 mass surveillance disclosures revealed that Microsoft had granted intelligence agencies unfettered access to supernodes and Skype communication content
    I was using Skype to support my friends and relatives who had installed Kubuntu in order to replace Windows. When I realized that Microsoft replaced the PtP client-server nodes with super nodes that contained Microsoft's patented "Legal Intercept" software, which gave anyone they permitted access to supposedly encrypted video and voice calls, I dropped Skype and replaced it with TeamViewer. I also noticed that when you run Skype, and even after you close it, quit it and remove the system tray icon, a service still runs in the background, doing who knows what, but probably creating a back door for whom ever MS gives the keys to. BTW, TeamViewer does the same thing - leave a background service even when you kill the system tray icon, but they don't hide it, it's called "teamviewerd".

Here is what a commenter wrote about "Alpha Skype for Linux" (he was flagged so I suppose his comment won't stay, but it gives you an idea about what is missing):
    Code:
    Literally just a worse, [B]closed source[/B] version of the free and open source (FOSS) Ghetto Skype! What improvements did we get for sacrificing our [URL="https://youtu.be/NB8mCcLRxlg?t=21s"]FREEDOM![/URL] [B]Thieves![/B] Taking all the credit of someone else's hard work!

Next move, sue [URL="https://github.com/stanfieldr/ghetto-skype"]Ghetto Skype[/URL]?

How can I:
    [LIST][*][B]set a proxy[/B] [*][B]specific which microphone and speakers are used[/B] [*][B]display a tray icon[/B] [*][B]share my screen[/B] [*]set hot-keys [*]specific a custom track to play for each type of notification [*]execute scripts on notifications (like the previous client) [*]get API access [*]use custom CSS [*]configure call fowarding [*]make video calls [/LIST]
    ... at least it fixes the group call problem.

I would not use this **** if everyone else would also switch... and it [B]IS[/B] happening.

Earlier, I quickly downloaded copies of the previous binary (in .deb and .tar.gz) if anyone needs it.

Finally, learn the definition of Alpha testing. An early test of new or updated software or hardware [B]conducted by the developers or manufacturers[/B] [U]prior to beta-testing by potential [/U][U]users[/U].
    Personally, I believe they are whipping a dead horse. I've had a Skype account for years. Since most of the people I supported are either no longer with us or no longer need help I have no reason to use Skype. I tried Google Hangout and Google Talk. I used Google Talk (long distance calls - cheap) most. Since I bought an iPhone6 a year and a half ago I have never used Skype or Hangout or Talk since.

IF I felt a need to use VIOP to communicate with voice or video again I'd use Ekiga, which I also tried out about 10 years ago. The latest stable version, 4.0.1, is in the repository. It has both Windows and Linux clients. It's free, open source and doesn't leave spyware.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 14, 2016, 05:11 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Nice research, GreyGeek. Thanks for the input on this.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Ive been using Google Hangouts to talk with my family for the last year or so. Its totally free, has pretty decent video call quality, and is net based so can run on almost anything. Google Talk is great too, especially if you live overseas but have to call America or Canada. I had an airline ticket problem last week that required 3 hours of international calls to correct. With Google Talk, it cost me nothing. Skype is dated and, well, Microsoft...

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
          ... With Google Talk, it cost me nothing. Skype is dated and, well, Microsoft...
          Mmmm... I thought I saw per-minute charges for overseas calls that ranged from 1 cent to 5 cents per minute? I still have a couple bucks credit with Google Talk but I doubt that I will ever use it because I deleted my Google account in protest to their censorship of their social media. I won't use Skype because since MS bought it, it is nothing but spyware for the US gov. Even when you close it and remove it from the system tray a "service" remains running in the background.

If talk is all somebody wants to do a great tool that works via VIOP is Mumble. My grandsons and I used it to communicate while we played Minecraft together. Works pretty well. You can create your own Mumble server on your own Apache installation and avoid public servers all together.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ah, it wanst Google talk. It was the dialer extension on hangouts. My mistake
            https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/rates?hl=en&p=hangout

Comment

I never use it, but I have "Ghetto Skype" on my Antergos (Arch) install. I've used hangouts a couple of time,

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
              Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
              X