X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting discussion about the future of kwallet

interesting Plasma developers' discussion about the future of kwallet

The situation of KWallet, and what to do about it?
    https://marc.info/?t=146788789300003&r=1&w=2

Very interesting article, especially the last post. It has always been a PITA. I put up with KWallet in 12.04 but in 14.04 I deactivated it. In 16.04 I uninstalled it.

As as far as GPG is concerned I used to use it as well and still do. I had it integrated into KMail for years and signed all my emails with it to prevent tampering and to assure recipient of my emails that they were, in fact, from me. Since I no longer develop code and haven't used my launchpad account in years I no longer keep its key active.

Only one one of the many people I email knows how to use PGP or GPG, and he stopped using it several years ago. Don't lose your key or its password or you might as well throw those old emails away. Ditto for encrypted documents.

EDIT:
    This topic spurred my curiosity so I installed gpg and the kgpg frontend to see how they behave under 16.04. They work just the way I remembered they worked in Kubuntu 9.04, six and a half years ago. I created a 4096 RSA key (took about 25 minutes to generate it) and added the key to KMail. The signing and encryption works smoothly. A signing and encryption icon appear automatically in the tool bar of the composer. Sweet!
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 12, 2016, 08:33 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X