X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo 11 source code published

This is interesting:
    As enormous and successful as Burkey’s project has been, however, the code itself remained somewhat obscure to many of today’s software developers. That was until last Thursday (July 7), when former NASA intern Chris Garry uploaded the software in its entirety to GitHub, the code-sharing site where millions of programmers hang out these days.
    And heres the link on github: https://github.com/chrislgarry/Apollo-11
    So who wants to go to the moon with me?

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
    This is interesting:

And heres the link on github: https://github.com/chrislgarry/Apollo-11
    So who wants to go to the moon with me?
    Been there, done that!
    (I used Orbit2010 to fly the "Delta Flyer" there. The Shuttle didn't have enough fuel! The sim works great in Linux!)
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Now that is cool. Bookmarked for when I have more time.
      If you're sitting wondering,
      Which Batman is the best,
      There's only one true answer my friend,
      It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

About five years ago, IIRC, they released all the Fortran code related to Apollo. I downloaded it but haven't given it anything more than a cursory glance. I was thinking I could experiment with running it under Linux but never got around to trying.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 11, 2016, 07:59 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Been there, done that!
          (I used Orbit2010 to fly the "Delta Flyer" there. The Shuttle didn't have enough fuel! The sim works great in Linux!)
          Shuttles weren't made for moon voyages! Thanks for the tip on Orbiter 2010. I downloaded it and had to download Wine as well in order to use it. Looks interesting--I can't wait to play with it. I also was able to run Celestia 1.6.1 on Wine. Strangely, I was not able to run it on Windows 10. Since when does a simulator work better than the original? I couldn't run Space Engine either on Windows 10, and I plan to try it on Kubuntu using Wine. I bet it works.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
            Shuttles weren't made for moon voyages! Thanks for the tip on Orbiter 2010. I downloaded it and had to download Wine as well in order to use it. Looks interesting--I can't wait to play with it. I also was able to run Celestia 1.6.1 on Wine. Strangely, I was not able to run it on Windows 10. Since when does a simulator work better than the original? I couldn't run Space Engine either on Windows 10, and I plan to try it on Kubuntu using Wine. I bet it works.
            I found David Courtney's "Orbit 2010 Absolute Beginner's Guide set of videos to be well worth their time.

My notes on how I found out about Orbit 2010 and how I installed it are in this post.
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 11, 2016, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              About five years ago, IRRC, they released all the Fortran code related to Apollo.
              I was thinking "I can't believe they wrote Apollo code in that and then realised I was confusing it with COBOL. The code is very interesting to look through.
              If you're sitting wondering,
              Which Batman is the best,
              There's only one true answer my friend,
              It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Working...
              X