Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was my thinking with the persistent LiveUSB. A tool to watch, explore and experiment without bothering my 16.04 installation. Neon is not, after all, a "distro". It is a dev tool. So I won't be surprised if for some reason, some day, my USB stick dissolves into a molten pile of Silicon.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      That was my thinking with the persistent LiveUSB. A tool to watch, explore and experiment without bothering my 16.04 installation. Neon is not, after all, a "distro". It is a dev tool. So I won't be surprised if for some reason, some day, my USB stick dissolves into a molten pile of Silicon.
      Almost certainly it can/will outlast any current installation of Windows 10. Consider, even if Neon is discontinued, it is built on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

In my install of Neon I've noticed one curious difference from Kubuntu. To wit, Kubuntu updated nicely to kernel 4.6.4, while Neon threw an error at installation. Puzzling, but no time currently to investigate.

(Apologies for hijacking the thread.)
      Lenovo T460s

Comment

Oh but I must disagree here slightly...the Dev version of Neon is, I agree, most certainly that. But the User version is, by definition, for the KDE fans...power users...and people who want the latest released versions of KDE Applications and Frameworks. Johnathan said:

we've announced KDE neon User Edition 5.6, our first edition which we advocate for our target audience.
        • Someone who relishes frequent updates of features
        • Someone who cares what software is on their desktop and is a fan or curious about KDE software

If that’s you, give it a go.
        So IMHO the "user edition" is a distro, the "dev edition" is what you've said: a Dev Tool.
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by DrGeoffrey View Post
          ... In my install of Neon I've noticed one curious difference from Kubuntu. To wit, Kubuntu updated nicely to kernel 4.6.4, while Neon threw an error at installation ...
          I used mkusb to make a persistent LiveUSB and I boot it. It runs perfectly, but that's not the same as installing it. The first update was 238 packages, which included a kernel. All went smoothly. I installed my canary app, Stellarium and ran it. I was presented with a warning about an error with the GL 3.1 but the star map displayed beautifully and ran well. That's the only error I've encountered. I like Neon. Kubuntu 16.04 is about twice as fast as 14.04 on my laptop and it appears to me that Neon is slightly faster than 16.04.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I decided to explore KDE Neon so I used mkusb to make a 32GB persistent LiveUSB. Fast, stable, Plasma 5.7.1. About 57K packages in the repository.
            5.7.x is being worked on for kubuntu xenial backports as well. At present it just can't be quite as quick as Neon can manage.
            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
              5.7.x is being worked on for kubuntu xenial backports as well. At present it just can't be quite as quick as Neon can manage.
              By now you should have KDE Plasma 5.7.2 which has now been released on time.

Unfortunately the external display problems have not been fixed if you have the display on the left of the primary display. On my system, the default panel and another panel are always on the external display on boot up even though I have them on my primary display when I shutdown. Also, if I use the Nvidia driver, the left panel display moves with the cursor.

I am hoping that these problems are fixed by 5.7.3

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                By now you should have KDE Plasma 5.7.2 which has now been released on time.
                In Neon, yes. Staging in kubuntu is ongoing.

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                I am hoping that these problems are fixed by 5.7.3
                I suspect that will be more 5.8, but can hope.
                Last edited by acheron; Jul 19, 2016, 11:53 PM.
                On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Working...
                X