This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Linux need anti-virus? A re-visit of an old question

Linux is not susceptible to methods that easily infect Windows installations, but its installed base has increased massively in the last few years and not every new user is knowledgeable enough to keep their installation virus free.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Ok, I'm paranoid now. Remove Flash? Does this method apply? http://www.infoworld.com/article/295...rom-linux.html Can I still watch youtube how-to and music videos? And videos saved to my hard drive?
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by logan01 View Post
      Ok, I'm paranoid now. Remove Flash? Does this method apply? http://www.infoworld.com/article/295...rom-linux.html Can I still watch youtube how-to and music videos? And videos saved to my hard drive?
      That works, or you can use muon and find flashplugin-installer and purge it.

While you are at it, make sure you do not have chkrootkit installed. There are two vulnerabilities against it.
      https://www.exploit-db.com/

You can set your browser to force html5 to play videos. It's safe.
      http://www.guidingtech.com/35075/force-html5-videos/
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I believe as of now both Firefox and Chrome (and presumably Chromium) will play HTML5 videos by default on any site that offers it (youtube, etc.), so you should rarely see Flash being needed at all. In fact, the vast majority of sites that still require Flash are games - I'm looking @ you Facebook! - So unless you play those types of browser games you should be fine.
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          That works, or you can use muon and find flashplugin-installer and purge it.

While you are at it, make sure you do not have chkrootkit installed. There are two vulnerabilities against it.
          https://www.exploit-db.com/

You can set your browser to force html5 to play videos. It's safe.
          http://www.guidingtech.com/35075/force-html5-videos/
          See above. In fact, the HTMLify extension listed in your article above isn't even offered anymore, because it's simply no longer needed

Now we just need to get rid of Flash games and we're golden!
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Thanks guys.
            HP15 -
            -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Done. You're right; those two extensions are gone now. Thanks.
              HP15 -

Comment

OK, and but, ..., just to be clear (this IS the clearest thread on this topic I can recall, it's always been a confusing topic for me for some reason), ... IF a site requires Flash, then you're stuck, correct? Example: I believe PCH.com (Publisher's Clearing House, sweepstakes, token games) requires Flash. I use Firefox (with flashplugin-installer); PCH said the site might work better with Chrome; I installed Chromium but I then got the pop-up message from PCH that I need to install Flash Player -- sounds like you are stuck with Flash at PCH.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  OK, and but, ..., just to be clear (this IS the clearest thread on this topic I can recall, it's always been a confusing topic for me for some reason), ... IF a site requires Flash, then you're stuck, correct? Example: I believe PCH.com (Publisher's Clearing House, sweepstakes, token games) requires Flash. I use Firefox (with flashplugin-installer); PCH said the site might work better with Chrome; I installed Chromium but I then got the pop-up message from PCH that I need to install Flash Player -- sounds like you are stuck with Flash at PCH.
                  Hope you don't end up in a higher tax bracket.
                  HP15 -

Comment

I have 14,000,000 tokens and haven't won even 5 bucks cash!
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                    X