This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] TOSHIBA SATELLITE L-50B: Kubuntu 16.04 LTS not usable for me

The latest Kubuntu 16.04 LTS is so buggy that tonight i'll have to make a clean install of another linux distribution on my laptop. The UI is slow (even thaugh i have an ssd and 8gb ram), my favorite music player freezes when i try to import my songs (i usually use banshee), and the desktop themes are broken for me, when i select dark breeze the taskbar stays white but the start menu is dark. WTF is that kind of release? Overall, everything seems to be even more buggy than the regular ubuntu release that comes with unity or Ubuntu GNOME Edition, which has lags in the ui. I also heard kde 5.x doesn't support propriatery intel/amd graphics? is it true? I am also experimenting graphical glitches like when i move a window, there are lines that starts blinking......

Here are my specs if that can help you:

Intel core i5 4200U
    Intel HD Graphics 4400
    120GB Kingston SV300 Series SSD
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    Qualcomm Ateros AR9485 Wifi

Have you installed the Intel microcode package? If not run sudo apt install intel-microcode and reboot.

As for the AMD/Ati graphics, then yes, it's kind of true. The open source drivers are now the official ones but they don't quite match the closed source one in performance. They are apparently getting a huge amount of work and it is estimated that they will catch up later this year. I can understand why Canonical deprecated them for the LTS but it was unfortunately timed.

If the driver performance is causing you an issue, then you are better off sticking with 14.04 for now.

[edit]
    For what it's worth, I'm running 16.04 with no problems on my old:
    • Dual core Intel Pentium B950
    • 8GB RAM
    • Intel Graphics: 2nd Gen
    • Toshiba 120GB SSD

[/edit]
    Last edited by elijathegold; May 19, 2016, 12:43 PM.
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

My Intel Integrated Graphics Controller chip works well with 16.04.
      My Acer Aspire 7739 Xerus gives a very fast desktop and graphics.
      Bugs and stability? Right after the install, yes, but after six weeks and several updates in I find Xerus to be as stable as Trusty. For the apps I run (FF, Chromium, Steam, SAGE math, Audacity, Kate, Kwrite, Dolphin, Gimp, LibreOffice and a few others) it is very fast and stable. Oh, i3-370M with 8GB RAM.
      EDIT:
      Back from picking up my grandson on his last day in MiddleSchool!
      Some apps have problems. KDE Disk Creator. Is one. When you start it the main GUi is displayed but is immediately overlaid by a progress bar dialog that does nothing. If you ignore it and enter the ISO file and output device and press OK the progress bar dialog begins showing the progress for burning the LiveUSB. The progress bar isn't measuring the right stuff because after it reaches 100% in about 10 minutes is sits there doing nothing for another ten minutes before the dialog goes away. After you close the main GUI the system slows down considerably. Checking with KSysGuard I noticed that one of my four core hit 100% usage. Over the next five minutes the other three core hit 100% usage but then all four returned to normal. The processes involved never showed more than 25% usage each but they add up. The LiveUSB booted and ran well.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; May 19, 2016, 02:28 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I forgot to mention that I had a couple of scary moments on my Toshiba, I have mentioned them elsewhere on these forums. As it's my primary machine, I decided to wait for 16.04.1 to upgrade it; I had no trouble with the graphics even with the open source drivers.
        If you're sitting wondering,
        Which Batman is the best,
        There's only one true answer my friend,
        It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

I also forgot to mention the login bug. If you enter the wrong password you get a busy wheel and then a "Login Failed" message. If you enter the right password you immediately get an "X" and then the login proceeds.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X