This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QT5 is improving :]

I have been trying to develop a program with Qt5.

I was having some issues using some new features of Qt, and since I wasn't sure if it was my fault or bugs in the new classes (like QOpenGlWidget, which is intended to replace QT4's QGLWidget), I decided to give openSUSE tumbleweed a try, to get the latest stable version of Qt. I know I could have done this using a backport PPA, but I wanted to give openSUSE a try for some other reasons too.

Anyway, having imported my code again and compiled it using the latest version of Qt, some things that didn't work before now behave as I was expecting. I'm currently testing with Qt 5.5.1 / Plasma 5.5.3.

Looks like bugs in Qt are being ironed out quite quickly. I expect Kubuntu 16.04 will ship with a newer version of Qt that is much more stable than the one in 15.10. Lots to look forward to!
    samhobbs.co.uk

Interesting!

Writing apps with the Qt API is fun, isn't it!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It really is fun!

I've found that Qt generally makes things fairly painless, and I'm often pleasantly surprised to find that there are nice classes for most of the things I want to do.

The thing I'm struggling with the most is 3D graphics with openGL - most of the examples I can find are for setting up openGL widget the QT4 way, and openGL itself is quite difficult IMO (a lot to learn before you can do simple things), which is not a good combination! I think the Qt side is fairly simple, and I've been making mistakes with the openGL. I'll get there in the end...
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

One of the problems with device driver coders is that they often don't have the time or take the time to document their drivers. And, many of the data sheets from the device manufacturers have NDA protections so Linux device driver coders can't say much about the inner workings of the devices.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 03, 2016, 07:47 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
          ...I decided to give openSUSE tumbleweed a try, to get the latest stable version of Qt. I know I could have done this using a backport PPA, but I wanted to give openSUSE a try for some other reasons too.
          I'd like to know what you think of openSUSE tumbleweed. I'm currently downloading the iso and am thinking of trying it. What's it like?

Comment

I ran SuSE for five years, between 1998 and 2002, and a year and or so ago I tried openSUSE as a guest OS.
            YAST was great in 1998. But, after six years with Kubuntu and deb I found both YAST and its GUI to be bulky, slow intrusions between the user and the system. Sometimes the kitchen sink is not such a great tool.
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 20, 2016, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
              ...and openGL itself is quite difficult IMO (a lot to learn before you can do simple things)
              Have you looked at openscenegraph? I have had a good experience with it and I know almost no opengl. Support for QT5 is still a work in progress, but I have had good luck with QT4. here is a link to the documentation for qt support within openscenegraph.http://trac.openscenegraph.org/docum...cs/a01600.html

Here is a picture of the steam controller inside a CAD application that I have been working on. It uses Qt and openscenegraph together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SteamController.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	643194
              FKA: tanderson

Comment

Working...
              X