This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SpaceX Did It!

Elon Musk's attempt to land the first stage booster back at the launch site was successful this evening! And, the rest of the rocket put 11 Orbcomm satellites into orbit!

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

cool ,,,,

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thats huge. It could lead to much cheaper launches.

Comment

Pretty cool. Thought it would take several more attempts. Reminds me of when we first landed on the moon out in the Mojave desert.
        Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
        HP15 -
        -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by logan01 View Post
          Pretty cool. Thought it would take several more attempts. Reminds me of when we first landed on the moon out in the Mojave desert.

Within a few minutes after the landing some people were claiming "faked" just to leach attention.
          It remains to be determined if the returned first stage is in good enough shape to make its reuse economically feasible.
          I hope that hears out and the cost per Kg of putting something into orbit is *significantly* reduced.
          BTW, contrary to the beliefs of several posters on YouTube this event doesn't really "pave our way to the stars" for the simple reason that chemical energy isn't powerful enough to send people on interstellar trips.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Oh I think they're well on their way. TV said it'll save 50 million per event. Yes, my tv talks (only to me).
            Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
            HP15 -
            -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Yes, I watched that. Very cool indeed!!!

Comment

Working...
              X