This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one for the good guys! Zorin on neighbor's computer

A neighbor lady a few doors down in the apartment complex has asked for help many times over the last few years with her laptop(s).

a) the main problem is grandkids who think that they are doing a favour for grandma for her by downloading all sorts of helpful software! lol
    b) sometimes herself who also does the same thing.

She has many times asked about what I use and I describe Linux and, at one time, loaned her my old Toshiba lappy with..........Ubuntu Unity on it.

So, she amazed me today when she told me that she had her computer guy (who has worked on her lappys for five years (from what she says), remove the Windows 9 or something just a few months ago!! :0

So..............he charged her $150 for;
    a) transferring over a thousand pictures from the hardware to cds and then back onto the Linux os.
    b) finding all the "documents" and doing same.
    c) bench fee
    d) removing Windblows.

e) bench fee for installing the Linux OS

the Linux OS is Zorin

Which, I personally think is an OUTSTANDING implementation of "Debian/Ubuntu)" for someone new to Linux.

As to why she didn't have me install an OS, kinda simple, if something had gone wrong later then she would have blamed me, which is a valid argument.

And, she/I may move next week and the computer guy will still be in the same place.

woodhappyforhersmoke

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
    So..............he charged her $150 for;
    a) transferring over a thousand pictures from the hardware to cds and then back onto the Linux os.
    b) finding all the "documents" and doing same.
    If done correctly, well worth the money paid IMO. Bonus if the CDs were left with the lappy owner.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

I agree. For all that was done $150 was probably a gratuity, unless he was able to do all that in under an hour. Even 10 years ago I charged $120/hr for programming and computer consultation.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

An update.

A)
        Zorin did not want to "do" an SD card inserted in the onboard SD slot, however, when I provided a "multi-reader" on a USB cable the OS did find pictures etc.

After that we again tried to get it to read the SD card using the onboard slot and it did then, indeed, find the card and the pictures, etc were displayed.

B)
        A lot of the "conveniences" of a pure Linux, such as being able to do a lot of simple things like "select / select all" , copy and past by mouse left click are not present, such as: select and copy had to be done from a "gear/stuff" menu but paste could be done with a right click. okaayy ? Kinda messed up windblows etc.

C) Zorin is a mix of KDE and Gnome, but although KDE connect can be installed it does not work.

D) There is a "software centre" which has an extremely limited amount of software, surprisingly synaptic is buried in the guts of the ting and can be run from terminal, but, even though a lot of apps, such as the classic "solitaire" package are LISTED in Synaptic, it is not installable from Synaptic, because the "archives" are not enabled.

And, surprisingly, even though the same package is available in their own software centre, there is only a "buy" button, and even though it is clearly labeled "free" .....when one clicks the buy button, nothing happens.

soooo a KNOWLEDGABLE person in Linux could enable the appropriate "archives" using Synaptic, but the "new user to Zorin" would have no clue.

E) Several media players are avialable, which includes Amarok,.... !! but.....there are only maybe a fifth of the normally provided, by Amarok, internet radio stations.

However, the PAID internet packages are available.

F) WINE is prominently displayed in the menu system and there are paid apps available in the "software centre", that are Windblows only.

G) They DO provide an up to date version of Adobe player, etc, which was baked by Adobe a mere three days earlier and provided in an update as I sat there.

H) SHE LOVED Extreme Tux Racer! Which was NOT installed as a default game,....just loved it! so there is hope!! She said........."THAT IS COOL! And, it's FREE??!!"

So............

My limited observations so far.

A) Zorin does, indeed, provide a "safe" OS.
        B) Zorin provides some free apps
        C) Zorin subtly pushes paid apps.

Which, is ok, considering that it is inteneded to be a non-free OS for transitioners to Linux or people who just want to get away from Windblows, and don't need much.

I'm hoping that she will let me dual boot Kubuntu at some time in the future, but considering that she is an older lady it probably won't happen.

if anyone else has comments please provide them.

woodsmoke
        Last edited by woodsmoke; Dec 30, 2015, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X