X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS bought Minecraft ....

Here is what I thought would happen:

Here is what might happen:

The HoloLens version of Minecraft still might be on a micro-pay support plan, but it certainly will be awesome! If I can afford it and the high powered hardware it will need.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

IU thought that i repliewd that i am too old to play this but i gudss that it got lost...again, i salute the younger minded people
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Here's why the Minecraft creator sold his stake to Microsoft.

When Markus Persson, the creator of Minecraft, decided he could no longer cope with the game’s obsessive community, he used the social networking site to ask if anyone would be interested in buying him out.
      Full story here -> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-10088955.html

Comment

I was wrong.

Well, I was WRONG about what I thought Microsoft would do to Minecraft.

They have given the game much needed improvements and have made it FANTASTIC!
        Here are the Minecraft 1.9 docs.

The most amazing thing, IMO, is the exposure of NEW commands that can be entered in the CLI or in a command block. Those commands used within a series of command blocks gives the game player the opportunity to program minecraft object behaviors in ways never before possible without writing a java "Mod". Each command in a command block is similar to a line of code in a program. The "/testblock" command in a command block creates an IF/THEN/ELSE capability, or a GOTO (yes, I know, a sin for the programming elite). The "/scoreboard" command allows the creation of global variables and the ability to do math on them. Dr. Brian Lorgon has a sequence of videos which briefly explain how to program command blocks.

My grandson and I have been going ape over the snapshot releases. What we really like are the "/fill" and "/clone" commands which significantly reduce the tedium of building large objects or clearing large spaces, sort of like what you can do with MCEDIT.

I bought my and my grandsons licenses four years ago and so far they are still valid for all releases since then. Will we be able to upgrade to 1.9 for free, like we have been able since 1.5? I don't know, but at this point the coming 1.9 release is so significantly new and better that I wouldn't be bothered if they required pre 1.8 purchasers to buy a new license.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 12, 2016, 01:31 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I haven't played minecraft for over a year, anyone ever tried minetest?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
            I haven't played minecraft for over a year, anyone ever tried minetest?
            Ya, a couple years or so ago. IMO, Minecraft at its worst was so much better than minetest. When I checked it out it didn't have mobs yet and lacked a lot of objects. Now that you've reminded me of it I'm going to check it out again and see how much it has improved. I did notice that the version available for Trusty was released last August.

Comment

It turns out that the Trusty repository contains the 0.4.9 version of Minetest. The most recent release is 0.4.15. I installed ALL of the files in the repository related to Minetest, which includes "moreores" and a handful of other "mods".

My first world was "enable damage", but there was no mobs mod so I didn't get to fight any. A lot of items, like torches, are two deminsional. Apples are represented by two intersecting planes, which makes them look like party cut outs.

Here is is a video of the game in play.
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZliIpdRbQEs

Something similar like to Redstone has not been added so even though you can create long railroad tracks to anywhere you'll have to continually push it to get it to the end of the track. That also means there are no comparators or repeaters, no logics, nothing like any of them in the version in the repository. You'll have to find, download and install the "mods" for specific features. The number of commands for the chat mode are limited. There are a couple more that give limited capability power generators, furnaces, conduit tubing, etc., but they are very rudimentary in both graphic representation and functionality. About the only positive thing I can say about it is that I get a steady 60 fps.

There are a very limited set of tutorials, docs or videos. I noticed that only about 7,700 readers visited the Minetest wiki. Microsoft won't waste the time or money to sue the developers. At its current rate of development it will be another decade before it gets out of beta and into 1.0.
              Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 12, 2016, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Minetest doesn't include anything in the default pack; but there are 3 'mob' modes, mesecones is the answer to redstone. It is still nowhere near MC. Because it's C++, it runs better than Java

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
                Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
                  Minetest doesn't include anything in the default pack; but there are 3 'mob' modes, mesecones is the answer to redstone. It is still nowhere near MC. Because it's C++, it runs better than Java
                  I only tested what was in the repository, which does include mesecrystals and pipes but nothing else. As I said, with the repository mods you can make a railroad and mine cart but you can't power it. Because it is written in C++ Minetest gives my underpowered PC a constant 60 fps refresh rate. Even with Optifine I can only get 25-30 fps in Minecraft. I did some mining and dug down to -187 meters. Coal, Iron and Copper are easy to find. Wood pick axes take five hits to break stone and last for about 30 blocks, IIRC, stone axes last about 50% longer and diamond axes about 10x as long. There are no enhancements, no armor, "gamemode 1" can only be reached from the "enable damage" mode ("gamemode 0") by logging out of game and re-entering it. Very inconvenient. There are millions of Linux users but if the total visitor count to the Minetest wiki is any measure I doubt that more than 10,000 Linux users have tried Minetest and probably very few of them have stayed with it, especially if they have played Minecraft.

Comment

Working...
                  X