This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russian site streaming world's videocams

The news media today made a big deal about a Russian website streaming video cams whose users have not changed the default password or use stupidly simple passwords like "1234". As you can surmise, the site is heavily loaded.

Moral: your private info is only as secure as your choice of passwords allow.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Luckily I have my cam disabled in the kernel. No one will be watching me, haha!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      a Russian website streaming video cams whose users have not changed the default password or use stupidly simple passwords like "1234". As you can surmise, the site is heavily loaded.
      Pretty dodgy site. Very suspicious "Download" and "Play" buttons on the pages. And none of the cameras actually seemed to work -- clicking on one opens to a page with the camera's location on a Google map, but the camera image box never displayed anything.

Comment

Yeah, those play and download links are your standard ones, found on most sketchy and torrent sites.

I don't think this sort of thing is anything new, I've seen this sort of site before. People have been putting their unsecured cctv, nanny cams, etc online for as long as they have been around.

Sent from my Verizon HTC Droid DNA Android smartphone running LiquidSmooth Rom, with Kit Kat 4.4.4, via Tapatalk, as if phone stats really matter

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Pretty dodgy site. Very suspicious "Download" and "Play" buttons on the pages. And none of the cameras actually seemed to work -- clicking on one opens to a page with the camera's location on a Google map, but the camera image box never displayed anything.
          I never clicked a "download" or a "play" button. While most pages that I tried produced the results you got, about 10% of them did display some image. However, the motion of the image was not fluid, indicating to me that the site was being heavily loaded. I watched some cube workers in Dresden, Germany for a few minutes. I've seen sardine cans with more room.

It was a site that I stumbled across several months ago. Back then I observed the same thing. It's only hot today because of recent news media alarmist reports. Those reports, like the one by CBS, showed the main page, but the videos that they displayed were obviously not from the site. They were obviously stacking the report to make it more sensationalized.

It won't make any difference. People have been warned repeatedly about changing the factory default password to something more secure and such warnings are always ignored.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X