This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The case against rolling release Linux distros

I've just read an article from Matt Hartley (him from Linux Action Show) about rolling release vs fixed release distros. Even though in general I do agree with some of his comments but I get the impression that the only rolling release distro he's used is Arch.

On one of my computers I have Manjaro using the stable branch which is a rolling release distro, new versions of all packages come through every 2 to 3 weeks. This system is very stable as have not had any serious problems since I have had it installed. On another computer I have Debian (wheezy) 7 which as everyone knows is a fixed release distro and is very stable.

I have also read other peoples testimonies about Arch who claim that they have been using it for years and have never had any serious issues when upgrading, but that may be because they have read and followed instructions from Arch to upgrade without issues.

You can read his full article here http://www.datamation.com/open-sourc...distros-1.html

I have not finished reading it yet but the argument seems slightly off.

To say, why argue against the rolling option?
    We have the choices of fixed or rolling because that is the way it has panned out... and seems to work.
    Is he arguing to only have fixed be the only way?
    Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

To each his own. Isn't choice great!

I used to enjoy being on the bleeding edge with the newest, latest and greatest.
      But, alas, I am no longer the hot Linux jockey I used to be, so I limit myself to LTS distros for my working installation, and guest OS's for the flaming stuff.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I like it in the middle
        Stable base, but more rolling in the DE department, how much depending on whether it is my laptop or my xbmc box

Comment

Working...
        X