This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
    I still run across hardware that won't "just work" out of the box without tweaking. Lots of laptop backlight issues, sound issues, video tearing issues etc. Some of these are solvable, but you still have to -dig- for the solutions.
    Interesting. My experience is very different. I can't even recall the last time something DIDN'T work out of the box for me. Oh, I know: the infamous Broadcom 43xx issue--about eight years ago--which I resolved by doing the ndiswrapper thing. Today? Everything just works. My newest laptop, a System76 Kudu Professional, works as expected as far as its backlit keyboard, etc.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
      Yes things are much better than ye olden days, but I still run across hardware that won't "just work" out of the box without tweaking. Lots of laptop backlight issues, sound issues, video tearing issues etc. Some of these are solvable, but you still have to -dig- for the solutions. So I think forums still serve a purpose and are necessary, but I much prefer sites with less noise like askubuntu, stackoverflow or superuser
      For sure, there can still be problems, and it sounds like you have been unlucky.

However, you can certainly have problems with hardware on windows as well, and these days I don't think modern linux distros are any worse in this respect than windows. In fact, linux is probably better at supporting old legacy hardware - I bet there is plenty of hardware from the windows xp era that isn't getting new 8.1 drivers released.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        I had fun recently trying to link to the Wikipedia page for the BFS scheduler, which uses the expanded name as the page title. Eventually I used & # 46 ; (without spaces) for the F.
        Hm... here, I could only get this format to work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_%46uck_Scheduler

"& # 46" got converted to "." because it was being interpreted as decimal rather than hexidecimal. I changed it to "& # 70" and got the correct conversion. But then when I clicked on it, the "&" threw Wikipedia for a loop.

Comment

Working...
        X