Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The current Nexus 7 is a mid-2013 design. It's still being actively developed -- Google released a preview build of Android L for it. But as tech goes, the device is probably already past its peak. Depending on the validity of the rumors, it might be worth waiting. Personally, I'm hoping the rumors for the Nexus 6 phone are true, and we'll see it come out in October. Seems likely that a Nexus 8 tablet would appear at the same time.

Comment

I agree. Nothing to lose by waiting. If Nexus 7 (the newer version) survives supported, that choice remains on the table. If Nexus 8.x" appears at decent prices (vs memory 16 or 32), then that choice can (finally) be assessed.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

A bit of my experience around Qqmike's questions, I use my laptop on mains power whenever I can and run it on battery when more convenient.
        For the type of work and leisure I do on a computer I don't need a desktop, like even the biggest photos (>200 mega pixel panoramas) don't stress this W520.

But while working on the battery there are a lot of power saving options active and plugging into mains does really speed things up.
        I've never seen adverse effects from plugging in and unplugging the power on a running laptop.

There is a shock protection utility to park the HDD's head once a certain shock is observed and after a fresh install I always add this utility.
        A few days ago I checked the Smart values of the HDD and now after 2.5 years of heavy use it doesn’t yet report any damage.
        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...configurations

At work we found out years ago that desktops aren't suited for frequent transport.
        Upon unpacking it was quite common to find discrete components like HDD cables, CPU's and even RAM at the bottom of the box, for a while we experimented glueing everything in place with silicon paste but over ten years ago we changed to laptops because they are far more robust.

Oh yes, I have a Nexus7 and it's a nice tool.
        I rooted it but have not been very successful to get something better running on it.
        With better I mean to cut the umbilical to Google's insatiable thirst for my private information.

What I really want is a tablet with an OS similar to what my old Nokia n900 had.
        Last edited by Teunis; Aug 17, 2014, 06:33 AM. Reason: Oh yes,

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
          Oh yes, I have a Nexus7 and it's a nice tool.
          I rooted it but have not been very successful to get something better running on it.
          With better I mean to cut the umbilical to Google's insatiable thirst for my private information.
          Flash Cyanogenmod. Don't flash GApps. Install the FDroid and Aptoide markets. You should be able to do almost everything you'd normally do without having Google-specific code.

Comment

Guys......this thread has morphed into all sorts of VERY interesting things and I have learned a LOT...please keep it going...

AND OTHER PEOPLE.............MORPH IT YOUR WAY.....throw in your experiences....

I have learned...for instance.... very much about tablets!!

woodveryhappywiththreadsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I was contacted about 6 hours ago on my Android phone,..........yes also the college website........... a teacher is "en extremis" and she asked that I take her classes tomorrow........

she .......within a couple of hours the "canned presentations" that the teacher would do on "evolution" and "protists"...

Within about an hour........I had taken the professors canned presentations, from the textbook company and had imported them into Calligra.........unfortunately some of the "things related to text" had gone astray.......

And......also.............graphics that were proprietary were .........gone..............

I then opened the same presentations in Libre Office and they opened ok in terms of "graphics" but the "text" was ok.

I then saved as ODT........ / ODP......... and just copied and pasted the text.........

I now have the original Microshaft presentations in ODP/ODT.............

then changed the master pages to my particular backgrounds and added......in........the PERFECTLY LEGAL........

references to the latest movie sequesnces about "evolution" and "microbes getting into the body"..........

deleted............quite a few......of the generic "evolution" slides ...and "microbe" slides..........and inserted my WHOLLY FREE AND OPEN SOURCE......images...........

and.............FROM THE WEB..........ok for ONE USE........"educational inspiration" items.........which were formerly OK by "another" U.S. President........but...........I .......may be called to task by the PRESENT..........beholden to SONY et. al.......DOJ..........

The only reason I might succumb is not legality but...........MONEY.........

Copyright LAW says that I can do this...........ONCE.........ONE TIME as an educational inspiratiuon..............but not now......in the United States of 1984 Big Brother..........

Anyway................

CAlligra...........LibreOffice............did good.

it is all on a pen drive..............with permissions set ONLY to me ..........so Microshaft can't change them!!!

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
              X