This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adventures with my new laptop

My brand spanking new laptop (System76) and I have been on a wild roller coaster ride--including a completely borked system.

The laptop arrived Tuesday and, as I noted in another thread, I installed Kubuntu over its default installation of Ubuntu 14.04. All was good. Until it wasn't. I installed Samba--as I always do on a new install--but the laptop wasn't seeing any other computers on my network; they were seeing it, but could not access it. Deciding that I must have missed something or...whatever...I went about uninstalling Samba via Synaptic. Seemed simple. Until it somehow broke everything.

But I have to interject something here: Mixed in with all this was news that a family member had a stroke, and then his heart stopped; he was resuscitated but is now comatose. My niece called me, and she was distraught and upset--it's her dad. She and her dad have been estranged for the last three years, and now he's 2000 miles away [where he had gone to take care of his elderly father]. I spent 30 minutes calming her down and STRONGLY urging her to get on a plane. She's really bad about flying and did NOT want to do it. But she did. Yesterday her dad had another heart attack. Things are looking grim.

So, as you might imagine, the laptop and its problems didn't seem that pressing.

But it was borked. I couldn't log in with K at all, and U was screwed up--one thing was a missing pointer. The trackball was working, but there was no visible sign of the pointer on the screen. I also had no wireless.

So, I thought, no big deal, I'll download K14.04 and wipe the drive and reinstall and be on my way. Not so fast! I don't have any writable DVDs, only CDs--and they're not big enough for recent K releases--and no USB sticks. What to do, what to do?

I installed 11.04, thinking I could just step through version upgrades. Nope. That failed miserably at different points.

I downloaded 12.04 alternate, the latest version I could find that would fit on a CD. Installed it and had a working system again--but still no wireless. Thank goodness I always have Ethernet cables on hand.

Mix in tons of family-crisis-related phone calls and e-mails, I apt-getted a lot of updates and stuff, fixing broken crap along the way, slap in a few Synaptic-installed Kubuntu components, and I now have a beautiful 14.04 working, complete with wireless--and formatted the way I wanted the disk formatted.

I seriously have no idea why what happened happened, and right now I don't really care. It could have been anything from not noticing something was going to be uninstalled that shouldn't have been, or an incorrect response to a prompt, or...who knows? Bottom line: I love Linux! Even when something goes wrong it's this wonderful adventure that ends up great.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

It was nice to read about your new laptop but was sad to read about your brother having a stroke and two heart attacks. That is not good and I wish wish him well in his recovery.
    Whilst I was reading about the issue you were having with not being able to burn 14.04 on to a disk I was going to offer sending you a copy on a dvd through the post but then you wrote that you managed to install it another way.

I don't know if your religious or not, but I'll say a prayer for your brother.

Once again I wish him all the best.

Comment

Thanks, Nick, all around. Very sweet to offer to send a DVD, and the well wishes for my cousin-in-law. (My cousin and I have been LIKE THIS since early childhood, and we consider ourselves sisters, hence our respective daughters are called our nieces.) I haven't heard any updates yet today. It's frustrating because he's in Louisiana and we're all here [in SoCal], so getting accurate information is kind of sketchy. And this has drummed up all sorts of bad/sad/mixed feelings for my cousin--who divorced him several years ago, but continued having a good relationship with him until something happened between him and their daughter. There's been no communication for three years, and now all of a sudden he's on death's door. Very emotional...

As for the new laptop, I just have one word for it: WOW!! I love it.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
        .... As for the new laptop, I just have one word for it: WOW!! I love it.
        Exactly what my son thinks about his System76 Gazelle!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

My cousin-in-law didn't fare as well as my new laptop. He died yesterday.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I hope he didn't suffer much. How old was he, i.e., did he have the opportunity for a full life?
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks, GG. He was 65. Way too young in today's world to die, but he made life choices that took their toll over the years. (He was an alcoholic.) He comes from genes that live a long time--his father is 102 and still going strong--so 65 is really woefully too young to die. My cousin is taking it well, and my niece is busy arguing with relatives she doesn't know very well [in Louisiana], so there's not much time to be sad right now. I'm sure it'll hit her eventually.

Comment

My compliments for supporting your relatives at a time like this.
                Good to hear the survivors have the energy to squabble.

Weird to hear you can't get a 4GB flash drive in SoCal...

Oh yes, did you compare notes on this laptop and a Thinkpad?
                I like the idea of supporting a Linux company but at the same time I see Thinkpads are solid and very compatible hardware.
                Last edited by Teunis; Jul 27, 2014, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                  My compliments for supporting your relatives at a time like this.
                  I used my own life experience to my advantage. I knew that if my niece didn't get there before her dad died she'd regret it--eventually. And I told her that--I said it may not be today or next week, but at some point it would probably haunt her. I'm very proud of her for going. She and I share a hatred of flying, but she's even worse than I am about it!

Good to hear the survivors have the energy to squabble.
                  It's a defense/coping mechanism for her. (But some of her relatives--on her dad's side, of course!--are pretty flaky.)

Weird to hear you can't get a 4GB flash drive in SoCal...
                  No, silly! I said I didn't HAVE any, as in blank, usable, etc.

No, honestly I didn't.

I like the idea of supporting a Linux company but at the same time I see Thinkpads are solid and very compatible hardware.
                  I agree that Thinkpads seem to have a very good reputation for quality, but I'm really...REALLY pleased with my System76. And I have to admit I like the idea of supporting a company that ships Linux on its computers--even though it's a moot point which OS actually comes to me, because I'll end up doing my own Linux installation anyway. But not having to pay the micro$oft tax--again--was a refreshing change.

Comment

Ah yes, the MS tax, nearly forgot that one...

Comment

Ah yes, the MS tax, nearly forgot that one...
                      I'm not sure which I detest more, PAYING for an OS I immediately wipe off my hard drive, or having that purchase COUNT when tallies are done as to M$'s market share.

Comment

Well, I got a Thinkpad, eventhough I resent the fact that I have to pay for a Windows licesnce that I never wanted.
                        Other than the difficulty with setting up the full disk encryption, essentially everything works (except possibly the wireless, which remains to be tested). The process of ordering it wasn't as straight forward, though.

And the touchpad sucks, but the 3k screen is pretty awesome!

I've detailed my experience setting it up here: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...836#post358836

Overall, I still think Thinkpads are very Linux-friendly. But I should add that I didn't get the discrete NVidia video card.

Comment

Working...
                        X