X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

woodsmoker lurches into modern hardware era

LOL
    I decided that now would be a great time to build a better machine and put the old one on standby before the CPU ran out etc...

And the main reason for this is the increased amount of self produced video and images that a) the college is wanting teacher to do......and I'm about the only one....gotta make myself look good! lol and b) the students appreciate it.

A GoPro Black produces huge images(yes they can be made less large, but then what is the point) and also my Android produces the doof android file format and I have to convert...

The ten year old X-finity..........would do the job......but it was strangling on it with an AMD dual core 2400(4200) and a gig of ram...

So, I decided to buy a newer mobo and dual layer DVD writer etc....

It was cheaper to buy last years whole system, including monitor, ergonomic keyboard (wired) AND........ he threw in refurbing the X-infinity..........

So...here is what will probably have to take me well into when I FINALLY retire........again! lol:

HP Pavillion HPE
    1 x AMD FX -6100-Core Processor, 5 x AMD FX - 6100 Six-Core Processor @ 3.3 ghz.
    8 GiB of RAM --------------- but only 3.9 seen
    AMD Radeon 7500 video card
    2 terrabyte Hard Drive
    Bluetooth built in --------- (version unknown)
    Dual layer DVD/RW drive

NOW two VERY KEWL THINGS

AGAIN, this is evidence of what Kubu can do with modern hardware:

A) Kubuntu(KDE/Ubuntu) automagically works with the Broadcom wireless to AUTOMATICALLY find a wireless HP Officejet 6600.
    B) the Bluetooth automagically found the Jam speaker and one click automatically switched from the outboard wired speakers which were playing

to the Jam speaker........

all in one fell swoop, no need for fiddling.

I had to use the HP disk with the old wireless, not Kubu's fault... it is a situation of "interaction with newer equipment".

So....I fully expect to see Kubu "strutting it's stuff"........more......... with this new hardware.

BUT..............

............I am SORELY behind the times in terms of hardware..........

This was made quickly apparent to me because..... there is no parallel port for my old HP 6P laserjet which I use continually, producing originals for the college, and textbooks, etc...which are then uploaded as pdf, etc. but I still need to sit and see the text on the paper first..

So........he said I could get a PCI card adapter for it........and popped the side.........

and the PCI express card slots are about the size of the top of a "tic-tac" box!!!! :0 ..... lol He didn't have one of those and ordered it...

But... the old woodsmoker..........is getting kind of long in the tooth....even for hardware!

But.........I have lurched into the new century! lol

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Jul 09, 2014, 05:12 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Did he toss in a free safety harness for when you start driving that video?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

They do have USB to parallel adapters. Don't know how well they work. I have the USB to RS232 and it works great so maybe the parallel will.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
        They do have USB to parallel adapters. Don't know how well they work. I have the USB to RS232 and it works great so maybe the parallel will.
        I haven't seen an RS232 port on a laptop for over a decade (if ever) and I used a USB-->RS232 dongle to develop a PLC system for an advanced ag tractor.

The development tool was for Windows only, so I never tried it under Linux, but the dongle worked great. That was between 2004 and 2008.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Woodsmoke reading your comment about moving in to modern hardware era I decided to do the same.

I've decided to finally replace the quill with a ball point pen

Comment

LOL great bunch of replies folks!

GG....As to driving it... he was more than willing to sell me the equipment but when he found out that I run Linux and have been doing it for decades he became somewhat dis-interested....

and...I can understand he makes his money from Windblows users and their continuing problems....

And yes, I have very old lappys and they did not have ports for them, but then I assumed that I would be useing the old HP multifunction printer/scanners....the last of which, I had THREE...finally bit the dust a few months ago! lol

And.......they would not do the hi-res stuff which students expect nowadays anyway.. so.. but they did a heroic job........for machines! lol

HOWEVER....he had ALREADY.... set the bios to not use UEFI !!! see note below if desired...

if the user starts from the DVD or if one just "plugged in a hardrive...so gotta give him props for that..he even went to the trouble to show me the setup in bios.

Moonrise... as to the usb to parallel, this one is going to be the pciExpress thing (with the small plug), but if it does not work then I'll try the usb..

Nick....lol........great move! lol

As a further comment;

This hardware really does rock Kubuntu.... I did a scan to produce an image of a set of instructions, in about...........9 point! lol...to include in a lab and it did it in the time that it took the previous machine just to get it's skirts together.

I'm really going to enjoy Kubu on this machine! lol

woodsmoke

Note: this area has a relatively large number of Linux users who migrated there.........a couple of decades later..... from the Commodore... this place had the second largest Commodore Club in the U.S. at the time.

Second note............ Watching an old Matlock, they actually had him PAUSE next to a desk, I think as a distractor as to what "the major clue" was going to be...and it had a very obviously placed "CPM" Commodore machine, external hard drive, printer, all of it..tres kewl and shows how advaced people thought that Commodore machines were at the time.. killed by one magazine and large money....
            Last edited by woodsmoke; Jul 10, 2014, 05:05 PM.
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
              and the PCI express card slots are about the size of the top of a "tic-tac" box!!!!
              My laptops have an Express Card slot, and I had no friggin clue what to do with it. I mean, the computers have Ethernet, WLAN, WWAN, WBONG, Bluetooth, Redtooth, USB, miniDVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, ExhaustPort, VGA, eSATA, eSANTA, FireWire, SmokeWire, SDcard, smartcard, againsthumanitycard, headphone, microphone, sousaphone, fingerprint reader, and butt temperature taker all built in. What the hell is left? After a nearly futile search, I finally found something with which to fill my Express Card slot (get your mind out of the gutter, Feathers). Voila: a presentation remote that I'll always have with me.

Last edited by SteveRiley; Jul 12, 2014, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  My laptops have an Express Card slot, and I had no friggin clue what to do with it. I mean, the computers have Ethernet, WLAN, WWAN, WBONG, Bluetooth, Redtooth, USB, miniDVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, ExhaustPort, VGA, eSATA, eSANTA, FireWire, SmokeWire, SDcard, smartcard, againsthumanitycard, headphone, microphone, sousaphone, fingerprint reader, and butt temperature taker all built in. What the hell is left? After a nearly futile search, I finally found something with which to fill my Express Card slot (get your mind out of the gutter, Feathers). Voila: a presentation remote that I'll always have with me.

Comment

LOL
                    woodstranglingheresmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                    X