X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux OS usage since 2004

Just the fack jack!

BTW for all you Duck Dynasty HATERS.the line is from the beloved of the Linux Elites: Bill Murray.

And as an aside if one is SO SMART........why should one DISMISS .................ANYONE....?

INSTEAD OF #$%^&NG OBSESSING on the amount of Microsith vs Linux ......... look at the REAL NUMBERS!!!

J#####ZE LEWI####Z#

The numbers go up a little and the numbers go down a little but the TREND is UP............... :0 :0 :0

GIVE ME A FR#!@&$# BREAK

Jan 14 4.9
    Dec 13 4.8
    11 0
    10 4.9
    9 4.8
    8 5
    7 4.9
    6 4.9
    5 4.9
    4 4.8
    3 4.7
    2 4.8
    1 4.8
    Dec 12 4.7
    Dec 11 4.9
    Dec 10 5
    Dec 09 4.5
    Dec 08 3.8
    Dec 07 0
    Dec 06 3.5
    Dec 05 3.3
    Dec 2004 3.1
    Dec 2003 2.6

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

woodtiredofthesmarterthanthoussmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

The only one obsessing is you....

Comment

That's interesting. I didn't realize the numbers for Windows Vista were so low.
      sigpic

Comment

Vista numbers low? I didn't know they were so high! Who in their right mind would run Vista?

BTW, what happened to the "Linux has only 1% marketshare" claim? Those figures don't show that, could that have been a lie?

I'm not going to do the research and re-find reports by various agencies that tracked that stuff, but back around 2008, the Linux share was tagged at 8%, up from 4% in 2004, and expected to grow at 1% per year. The Vista and Win8 debacle didn't hurt linux but the stagnation of laptop sales did, as did Microsoft's continuing illegal monopoly on the desktops those laptops ship with, although System76 and other vendors are making noticable dents in that domain. My gut feel is that the Linux deskstop market share is probably closer to 12-14%, equal with Apple's, and Win8 has been taking the loss. People are not moving away from Win7, which turned out to be a "good" replacement for XP and they are still eschewing Win8 tablets, while jumping on Android and Apple devices.

Anyway, at this point, market share is a dead horse and beating it won't make it get up. Those who haven't jumped totally onto the tablet/smartphone bandwagon know about Linux and an increasing number of them are taking that option. IMO, Ubuntu shot themselves in the foot at a crucial time when they replaced Gnome with Unity on Ubuntu. Gnome, and better yet, KDE, were close enough to Windows XP/7 that users could migrate rather easily to them. The mouse works the same, the menu structure is similar enough, all they need to learn is the names of the replacement software. Most who used OpenOffice on Windows found it identical to OpenOffice on Linux so that eliminated most of the "learning curve". Gamers still prefer Windows, despite Steam's activities, game developers still focus on Win7, which was encouraged when MS announced continued support for it.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          ...Who in their right mind would run Vista?
          I still do, and I'm not right.
          Kidding...My wife won't give up windows and I can't afford a new notebook at this time. She hates the look of Windows 8, so there is hope.
          Last edited by life0riley; Feb 18, 2014, 10:43 AM. Reason: forgot kestrokes to make smiley
          sigpic

Comment

Ah, I understand completely! Like the old saying says, "If momma isn't happy NO ONE is happy!"
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
              Just the fack jack!
              BTW for all you Duck Dynasty HATERS.the line is from the beloved of the Linux Elites: Bill Murray.
              Phil Robertson is a first class idiot who believes that the world should comport itself to his personal religious views. What's the purpose of mentioning the Duck Dynasty stuff here?

And as an aside if one is SO SMART........why should one DISMISS .................ANYONE....?
              Because some people should be dismissed.

INSTEAD OF #$%^&NG OBSESSING on the amount of Microsith vs Linux ......... look at the REAL NUMBERS!!!
              The numbers go up a little and the numbers go down a little but the TREND is UP...............
              The image you posted clearly shows a decreasing trend. What are we looking at?

Comment

The number on the LEFT is...........ummmmmm now.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

The number on the LEFT is...........ummmmmm now.

woodsmoke
                  Yeah, but what is it? The labels on the x and y axis are too small to read. Where did this data come from?

Comment

I do not teach my students anything.

I allow them to learn themselves.

That was what............SUPPOSEDLY the people of OUR AGE.....RANTED TO THE OLD PEOPLE ABOUT......

Look at "me" not my cloths....

Listen to "me" not the music....

Look at the data I provided and the link.

I merely graphed the provided data..........

from...BACK THEN to............NOW.......and put it into Calligra and produced a chart.

PBS..CNN.....MSNBC........CBS.......ABC........NBC ............all rant and rave about this and that.............

the world is coming to an end.....

and cover up the ZERO...........on the graph

with:
                    talking heads
                    logos
                    distractions

LOOOOOK at where the ZERO is.....

It is irrelevant as to which way it changes VISUALLY

LOOOOOOKKKKK at the zero!!!!

anything to get the sheeple to NOT LOOK AT.,...............

the zero.

and the sheeple willl drink the koolaid.

everything is there................LOOOK

only the sheeple expect the "zero" to be on the "left side"

WhAT ABOUT "ASIANS"..........they read UP DOWN

WHAT ABOUT THE JEWS......they real right to left..........

LOOOOOOK AT THE IMAGE..........jeeze,.

LOOOK at the DATA I merely transcribed it and put it into CALLIGRA SHEETS..........

JEEEZE.............."zero"..........um.....in this case...."1" which is.....

jeeze NOW.....

woodsmoke
                    Last edited by woodsmoke; Feb 21, 2014, 01:00 AM.
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

the people of OUR AGE.....RANTED TO THE OLD PEOPLE ABOUT......
                      What's our age agian? don't forget the bambinos in the audience!

Forgive me for quoting Battlestar Galactica, but all of this has happened before, and will happen again

In one sense, age is a measure of your ability to process and adapt to new information. By that definition, I'd say most of you are definitely not "old"!
                      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I find the chart still confusing and your post even more so.
                        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                        Always consider Occam's Razor
                        Rich

Comment

Woody, why do you find it necessary to insult practically every member of KFN?

I would urge you to reconsider what you've posted here. Your intentionally confusing post, followed by your illogical and demeaning defense, does not reflect well on yourself.

Comment

to repeat I merely copied the numbers from the article and placed them into sheets and produced a graph.

it is irrelevant which way "it goes" if one merely looks at the associated data.

how many times has it been said tha all graphs do not have to go ip and to the right.

the graph and data Stoll show that linux usage ... is... increasing.

woodsmoke
                            sigpic
                            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Although a chart is as good as it's labels I do see your point there's in these numbers an increase in Linux use.
                              But when writing your rants you have to watch out the *smoke does not obscure the message

Another question re. data quality is this needs a good pointer to the source of your presented data.
                              For example, is this about straight Linux on a PC/Laptop or does it include Android and appliances, is this measured on a network?

Comment

Working...
                              X