This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NSA buster - Lightbeam add-on for Firefox

Watch the NSA watch you, lol, no, seriously, with this add-on you can see who or what is tracking/watching your browsing movements on the internet.

Lightbeam add-on page here.

Another interesting link loaded with privacy info given to me by a friend on twitter...

http://prism-break.org/

Comment

Take note of the sites I purposely connected to and the amount of third party sites, it's bloody quadruple!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lightbeam1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	640505

Comment

Thats kind of scary....

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
          Thats kind of scary....
          Yeah, I want NOTHING to do with facebook yet my traffic goes there anyway, not to happy about that.

Comment

Do you block cookies?

Comment

It's because so many web pages increasingly litter themselves with buttons to "Like" and "Tweet" and "Share." How about a "Fart" button?

Lightbeam examines the HTML received by your browser and looks for links to known tracking sites, which include the aforementioned buttons. If you're using some kind of ad blocker and have downloaded the files that block ads and that block trackers, then your Lightbeam display should be mostly empty.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                Do you block cookies?
                Nah, have accept 3rd party cookies on (without it, you get infinitesimal messages and errors, stalling, redirections, etc) but auto delete everything except history and pw's on Firefox close, the former comes in handy for job searches, etc, hate bothering people twice, looks too needy.

I shred places.sqlite about once a week manually.
                Last edited by tek_heretik; Oct 26, 2013, 12:39 AM. Reason: Grammer

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  It's because so many web pages increasingly litter themselves with buttons to "Like" and "Tweet" and "Share." How about a "Fart" button?

Lightbeam examines the HTML received by your browser and looks for links to known tracking sites, which include the aforementioned buttons. If you're using some kind of ad blocker and have downloaded the files that block ads and that block trackers, then your Lightbeam display should be mostly empty.
                  Yeah, I kind of figured that but they still know where you went, what you looked at and your IP, tres annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                    Nah, have accept 3rd party cookies on (without it, you get infinitesimal messages and errors, stalling, redirections, etc) but delete everything except history and pw's on Firefox close
                    I always block third-party cookies and also use a hosts file to block ads and trackers. I don't experience any delays or errors. Your approach of deleting stuff on browser close will not stop the trackers.

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                    Yeah, I kind of figured that but they still know where you went, what you looked at and your IP, tres annoying.
                    Uh, that's because source and destination IP addresses have to be part of every datagram. Without that, routing cannot function. If you use an ad and tracker blocker, you will significantly reduce your online footprint.

Comment

I'm on the verge of wiping Samsung/Rogers/Google's Android (gee willickers Beave, that makes me 4th party, 5th if you include the forced facebook) off my Galaxy S2 and replacing it with Replicant, it's really snoopy now too, worse than ever, went to update just my banking app (couldn't proceed without it, want to tear my bank a new rear exit too), 10 unwanted/forced/snoopy updates followed it (they just started downloading/installing without so much as an OK to any EULA, etc), that really peeved me off. The forced snoopy bloatware is way out of control now.

Just imagine how much the average Joe/Jane is tracked because they don't know how to turn things off or wipe forced collected data, we are a small percentage users that really understand what's going on.
                      Last edited by tek_heretik; Oct 26, 2013, 12:34 AM. Reason: Added more info

Comment

I always block third-party cookies and also use a hosts file to block ads and trackers. I don't experience any delays or errors. Your approach of deleting stuff on browser close will not stop the trackers.

Uh, that's because source and destination IP addresses have to be part of every datagram. Without that, routing cannot function. If you use an ad and tracker blocker, you will significantly reduce your online footprint.
                        Meh, I don't really care that much, the only risky thing I do is get hyper-political, after that visit I had from the 'man' (and was subsequently cleared), I'm sure they already know who I am and where I go anyway, if they want to make me a martyr, that's fine by me.

Comment

Root your phone and put the Android Security Test app on it. Very effective. Also install F-Droid so that you can then install AdAway (which inspired my shell script). This combination will keep you mostly sane. I think Replicant, while interesting, ends up not very useful. The only Google service that I can't live without is Maps. OpenStreetMap pales in comparison, especially for those like myself who rely on public transportation.

Comment

Root your phone and put the Android Security Test app on it. Very effective. Also install F-Droid so that you can then install AdAway (which inspired my shell script). This combination will keep you mostly sane. I think Replicant, while interesting, ends up not very useful. The only Google service that I can't live without is Maps. OpenStreetMap pales in comparison, especially for those like myself who rely on public transportation.
                            I am ashooming you mean I can leave the proprietary phone OS and do what you suggested? Which actually sounds more palatable anyway.

Comment

Once you root it, you're free to install any ROM you wish -- check the appropriate forum on XDA Developers for your device. The choices there will likely be more up-to-date than Replicant.

Comment

Working...
                              X