This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really don't care for this video...

I found a 45 minute meeting filmed on YouTube titled "Why Linux Sucks". I somewhat understand, they are poking at the system trying to point out how it can be made better. They claim to be assisting the Linux community however at time index 8:53 they start bashing the shells KDE at the top of the list. The speak spouts off a lot of issues but I don't hear real solutions, he seems to be entertaining the crowd but I don't care much over all for what he says. You be the judge...

He's still giving that talk?

That's an old, and (in)famous presentation by a guy (former co-host of the Linux Action Show) known for using outrageousness to prove his points - namely what needs to be fixed in Linux for it to compete with the mainstream. It seems he updates it regularly, and also has a companion video Why Linux Doesn't Suck

As to dissing KDE, well, that isn't any different from people dissing Unity or Gnome or whatever, with no real reasoning other than they simply don't like it, basically.

I can't blame people (anymore) for not being able to pinpoint specifics about why they think KDE is terrible or not good. I think a good portion of it comes from the fact that it is too window-like still, and also from some lack of first exposure - the vast majority of new Linux users have begun their journey on a gnome or gnome-like desktop, and probably a well-sorted one at that -barring hardware issues that have nothing to do with the DE.

KDE's problem, if you can call it that, is that there are many edges to it. Some of these are probably rough ones for some, while a different set are rough to others. Gnome-y desktops have fewer edges, hence fewer places to sand smooth

Comment

Well my opinion, Linux is all about choice, one can pick and choose what they like and want. Later in the video he shows that Linux Mint is on the rise, if people choose Mint over KDE then they have a choice. Windows is no choice, nothing against Windows users, but the company hands you one package without choices. Use this or your favorite games won't run, use this OS or your browser won't work, use this or your media won't play. This speaker (from my perspective) wants to make "Linux One" and not give the user a choice.

He needs to get with the program and realize people, programmers, open source are very random. And being spontaneous is a great thing.

Comment

I agree Simon.

As the fictional Vulcan race is fond of saying (Book Universe) Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations.

It came to mind when reading and seeing claydohs new Avatar pic...

Comment

I hope that next year's LNFW doesn't collide with either a biz trip or a concert...Bellingham isn't that far from Seattle, it would be cool to attend the event.

Comment

@Simon...jerks like him forget Linux is stitched together by code writers and developers from all over the world for free to keep it free. There are two kinds of people, whiners and people who fix problems.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
              jerks like him
              You might want to check out who Bryan Lunduke is...which does not include whining or forgetfulness of how Linux is built.

http://lunduke.com/
              http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/26149
              http://www.linkedin.com/in/bryanlunduke
              https://plus.google.com/108930697266689628917

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                You might want to check out who Bryan Lunduke is...which does not include whining or forgetfulness of how Linux is built.

http://lunduke.com/
                http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/26149
                http://www.linkedin.com/in/bryanlunduke
                https://plus.google.com/108930697266689628917
                You're right, I didn't watch the video, but that's just my blind loyalty and I trust Simon's judgement, if it offended him, it would most certainly offend me. Bryan can always get a job at Microslop, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                  Bryan can always get a job at Microslop
                  Why would he do that? Bryan's on our side, tek. He's a Linux advocate, and has built a career around it:

Comment

Why would he do that? Bryan's on our side, tek. He's a Linux advocate, and has built a career around it:

FYI Steve, lol and indicate a joke and/or sarcasm.

Comment

You're too mysterious for me.

Comment

I do realize he is trying to be outspoken and using a type of reverse psychology to attract new users to Linux and his speeches about Linux. That isn't exactly my issue. I am worried about his thinking that Linux needs to be "uniform" as Legos or bricks. Linux OS (all of them) prove that anarchism actually works. No where on Earth has any nation practiced or created a society without rulers. Linux OS has no head of authority just like the internet. I think we can all agree that free thinking people building an OS works much better than mindless drones being paid to eat donuts. But people like this, want to create a bureaucratic structure and once that happens things go to Heck in a Hand Basket. I have nothing against the man himself, just his goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                          I do realize he is trying to be outspoken and using a type of reverse psychology to attract new users to Linux and his speeches about Linux. That isn't exactly my issue. I am worried about his thinking that Linux needs to be "uniform" as Legos or bricks. Linux OS (all of them) prove that anarchism actually works. No where on Earth has any nation practiced or created a society without rulers. Linux OS has no head of authority just like the internet. I think we can all agree that free thinking people building an OS works much better than mindless drones being paid to eat donuts. But people like this, want to create a bureaucratic structure and once that happens things go to Heck in a Hand Basket. I have nothing against the man himself, just his goal.
                          Well there ya go, thanks for clarifying Simon and I agree, I actually think fragmentation is a good thing, it keeps Linux/distros a moving target for security threats.

Comment

You're too mysterious for me.
                            No, you were right, I jumped to conclusions without fully researching or reading, or watching for that matter. I have to get off the computer now to make a doctor appointment...to have my foot removed from my mouth.

Comment

I'm kinda torn on the 'freedom or stability' issue. I, for one, really like the ability to choose what I'm going to run, when I run it. And if it doesn't work, I can usually either find a work-around or another app/program/daemon that will accomplish what I want. I like the freedom.
                              On the flip side, users who don't have the basic knowledge or interest will tend to avoid operating systems that require lots of tweaking or fixes to make things work. Why would my mother want an operating system where she can't connect her digital camera and just download her pictures to her 'Pictures' directory/folder (this is an actual complaint after I had installed Mint to her system 10 yrs ago)?
                              Operating a Linux distro is like being a cat herder. As long as you enjoy running around like a freak trying to keep everything glued together, it's fine. But I'm going to assume that that's why Linux users only make up 2.55% (per an educated guess on Linux Counter) of the total operating system population. Linux is a niche OS, and until the cats allow themselves to be herded, will always be a niche OS.
                              I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Working...
                              X