This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LO preserves all formatting in ods

I am pleased to report that LibreOffice seems to support all saved formatting from .cvs/xls when saved as .ods.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Now, if it would just do that in rtf

Create a document in LO, then save it in rtf, then try opening it again in LO. In my experience, it can't read its own rtf files.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

have not done that, but I'll give it a try.
      woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hi Frank
        I am sad to say that one of my most favourite formats...rtf, does not save the formatting.
        It is sad to see the passing of such a venerable format.
        But....then, it is also sad for me to see the passing of the net quite beyond me....
        woodoutlastedhisusefulnesssmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

RTF works ok in LO 4.0

Comment

GilGib:

RTF works ok in LO 4.0
            Great! I'm looking forward to the fix next time I upgrade.....

Frank.
            Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Originally posted by GilGib View Post
              RTF works ok in LO 4.0
              "Works" meaning the slow RTF file-opening problem has been fixed. But now there is another issue -- possibly it is a printer driver issue, I'm not sure yet. The entire left margin of an RTF doc is gray instead of white, and when printed on my HP LaserJet P1606dn, it prints gray, too. I don't see this on either ODF or .doc files. This is LO 4.0.3.3, on KDE 4.10.3:

Comment

Dibl@
                I'm wondering if you may have a page size issue? Looking at your image, the grey area is past the 0" left ruler mark:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Dibl LO Page Issue.png
Views:	1
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	640360
                Here, with my LO Version 4.0.2.2 (Build ID: 400m0(Build:2)), opening a .rtf file doesn't show this:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	RTF Doc in LO Version 4.0.2.2 (Build ID: 400m0(Build:2)).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	640361
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have some rather complicated xls files created in MS Excel that I must use often. I have no problem using these files in LO Calc, and when I send them to someone with Excel they are able to work with them and they never know they were not created in Excel. I did get a frantic call from my supervisor in the volunteer program the other day that she was having a problem opening my xls file that I use to claim my travel on, but the problem was she was getting a security warning about opening files of this type as they may contain malware. I told her to ignore the warning, I am sure that has nothing to do with the file being saved in Calc.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    Dibl@
                    I'm wondering if you may have a page size issue?
                    Thanks Snowhog. After some troubleshooting, I have narrowed the problem to the Windows application that created this document. RTF documents from other (non-LO) sources do not show the problem, and it is unrelated to printers or printer drivers.

So -- found and solved, kinda. The fault is not in LO.

Comment

Working...
                    X