This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop touchscreens and K Plasma icons

I agree completely with this article about how within a very short period of time that a "touchscreen" on a laptop will be "de-reguire"...

And that is from using the doofus little Kexi tablet.

moving from "swiping a screen" on my smart phone to "swiping the screen" on the tablet is "refreshing".

Being able to do "coarse grain" operations by touching the screen and not having for "hunt for a mouse" or "fiddle with the touch panel" is, to me a very "liberating" thing...

in that it reduces the number of times that my wrists and fingers have to interact with the mouse/touchpad...

and that will reduce fatigue.

And, unfortunately, those very blocks that Linuxpeople ( including myself) find so Kludzy/klunky about Win 8 is precisely the correct configuration for a touch screen "coarse" use.

If this has not already been implemented in "plasma"....

I would greatly recommend that there be an optional theme which features very large icons for the menus.

The widgets are sufficiently large that they should work great on a touch screen.

Just my thought.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57...creen-laptops/

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Oct 30, 2012, 11:53 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Of course, my screen is about two feet back on my desk, so if I had to use a touch screen I would have to quite a bit of stretching. At my age, I prefer being able to grab the mouse next to my keyboard versus having to lean over my desk. Maybe on a laptop that would be different, but it seems to me that the motion to move one's hands from the keyboard to a trackpad and back is much less intrusive than to move from the keyboard to the screen and back.

In the end, I think that touchscreens are great for consuming content but mouse and keyboard are better for creating content.

Comment

KDE has a very brilliant touchscreen interface known as Plasma Active! Having a hybrid desktop-touchscreen interface is retarded and leads to the exact same **** we now have with Windows 8. We have distinct interfaces for distinct methods of interaction and we should leave it at that.

You could probably make stuff large through your own customizations but it would be foolish to gnomeify our desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
        KDE has a very brilliant touchscreen interface known as Plasma Active! Having a hybrid desktop-touchscreen interface is retarded and leads to the exact same **** we now have with Windows 8. We have distinct interfaces for distinct methods of interaction and we should leave it at that.

You could probably make stuff large through your own customizations but it would be foolish to gnomeify our desktop.
        The only problem with Plasma Active, which I like very much, is that while being built on plasma, it isn't interchangeable. By that I mean, I can switch between Plasma Desktop and Plasma Netbook all day long with just a few clicks. Plasma Active, however, is a separate install. Maybe that will change in the future as QML becomes more mainstream in KDE.

All of that said, having desktops customized to each use case (desktop, small screen laptop (ie netbook) and table (ie Active), is a brilliant idea. They all share the same underlying KDE technologies, but instead of making compromises in the GUI or using the least common denominator approach, each use case can be optimized.

I always though that Ubuntu should have based Unity on top of KDE specifically because of this reason, but then, I don't have a say in Canonical's decisions.

Comment

Working...
        X