This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best linux for slow computer

Hi. I have kubuntu loaded onto a desktop computer and love it. I love the features, the programs, the way it can be customized... everything. I have Xubuntu running on another of my computers from a couple of years ago and that is very good aswell just not so many features and programs on it.

I also have a very old laptop that i have been using on windows 98se for wireless access. I have tried kubuntu and xubuntu but both of these run slowly which is a bit of a pain. I have a kubuntu live cd but it does not run on this laptop because there is only 64mb RAM which is a bit of a problem.

I have heard that Xubuntu is the better than kubuntu for low memory computers but i was wondering if there was anything that was still less.

Thanks

Re: Best linux for slow computer

Well...you can try installing an even lighter window manager than xfce, like icewm.

You may also wish to have a look at "damn small linux" and "puppylinux" which are very light-weight distributions.

Comment

ok thanks would I be able to install these to the hard drive?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by linux starter
        would I be able to install these to the hard drive?
        Yes

Comment

Really. I learned something new. I didn't know that you can install puppylinux. I thought that it was just a live-cd.
          Ah well, that's why forums are so usefull... Learning and asking for help. 8)
          I use Firefox because it's better and safer, I use Linux because it's the best of the best. Together they are like magic. USE THE FORCE, CHOOSE FREE AS IN FREEDOM!

Comment

Slackware seems to be one of the only distros that has a back a catlogue, I have slack 7ish on a P120 with (I think) 32meg, with Enlightenment as the DM in GNOME.
            I know people who run debian on ~p2 233s as ad-hock servers too.

Comment

I see this in your sigment:

Currently Running kubuntu very very slowly on:

Pentium Pro
              64mb RAM
              4.3GB HDD
              Strange, I have almost the same thing, (only it's an laptop and not an pc) but it is a 64mb ram too with exactly the same hdd-space.
              I'm running Kubuntu 6.06 on it and it works perfect, and not that slow actually.

I heard that Slackware is one of the best. They say this too about 'Zenwalk' but I'm not sure if that is a good distro... Never test it.
              I use Firefox because it's better and safer, I use Linux because it's the best of the best. Together they are like magic. USE THE FORCE, CHOOSE FREE AS IN FREEDOM!

Comment

Here's what Distrowatch.com has to say about Puppy:
                Yes, Puppy Linux is yet another Linux distribution. What's different here is that Puppy is extraordinarily small, yet quite full featured. Puppy boots into a 64MB ramdisk, and that's it, the whole caboodle runs in RAM. Unlike live CD distributions that have to keep pulling stuff off the CD, Puppy in its entirety loads into RAM. This means that all applications start in the blink of an eye and respond to user input instantly. Puppy Linux has the ability to boot off a flash card or any USB memory device, CDROM, Zip disk or LS/120/240 Superdisk, floppy disks, internal hard drive. It can even use a multisession formatted CD-R/DVD-R to save everything back to the CD/DVD with no hard drive required at all!

Comment

Originally posted by linux starter
                  Currently Running kubuntu very very slowly on:

Pentium Pro
                  64mb RAM
                  4.3GB HDD

Thanks
                  running presario 1277 laptop/w amd k6 3d

added 128 mb ram to the 64 it came with bringing it to the advertised max... does yours have expansion slot for ram? if so try finding a stick of ram to fill it...  i had to go with pc 133 instead of the pc 100 but that is ok, and it only cost me $35 +tax (american).

replaced the 4 gig hdd that came with it with a 60 gig (cost there will vary, but i got there for another $119)... installed 98se and mandriva 1disk as a dual boot... running kubuntu live cd at the moment till i get up the courage to try to multi-boot an install of that as well.

just giving you some more options to think about...

Comment

Working...
                  X