Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well then... looks like you need a YouTube account or a site at rileyz.net, it would be a good place to put all of your best rants, too
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Yeah, I dunno why Esri took down the video. At one time I had a copy of the entire MP4 file, but now I can't find it. *grumble*. I gave the same talk at the Riverbed's annual SharkFest conference, and one of our bloggers wrote a summary of the material. I've done that talk many, many times, but can't seem to find a recording anywhere. Sigh.
      It's an old myth that once information is uploaded to the Internet it remains on the Internet forever. Attempts to sustain a history of internet web pages is doomed to failure because no single site (except, perhaps, the NSA storage facility in Utah, but you won't get access to that) can hold all the massive numbers of web pages that have and do exist on the web.

The old Linux nemesis, SCO, learned that when they don't take down their own web pages which refute their legal claims, such pages come back to bite them. Other corporations have learned that lesson well. So, you won't find the webpage that Microsoft published which used the "Highly Reliable Times" pseudo newspaper to push the claim that a Windows solution to the London Stock Market's transaction speed problem was chosen over a Linux solution because it was faster and more reliable. After the billion dollar crash the truth came out. There was no competition between Windows and Linux over a LSE contract. The LSE hired a Windows IT man and he picked Aventura (sp?) to write the .NET app which never reached the promise speed and wasn't as reliable as the ad claimed. Microsoft took down the web page. Why wouldn't they? When we mess in our pants we change our shorts.

Web pages are being put up and being taken down all the time, in enormous numbers. Very few are copied to other sites for posterity, even if they happen to be very informative. I thought I had dl's Steve's talk, but I can't find it, or, my memory is defective.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        I thought I had dl's Steve's talk, but I can't find it, or, my memory is defective.
        I searched for awhile yesterday, looking for his presentation anywhere on the 'Net. Pages hits referencing it, but the actual video is not to be found.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'll contact the folks at Esri and ask what happened.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          When we mess in our pants we change our shorts.
          I just toss them in the gutter and enjoy the breeze for a while.

Comment

I'd be very interested in this talk, too - I've been extremely reluctant to put anything in the cloud so far... (and I certainly wouldn't without encryption - hell, I'm already moving towards full drive encryption for everything but raw data)

Comment

Working...
            X