Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been playing with Win 8 on a VMware VM, and I'm with GG on the non-intuitiveness of Metro as a desktop GUI. It may be wonderful on a tablet or something with a touchscreen, but having to have VMware send it Ctrl-Alt-Del every time I want to log in, and double Ctrl-Alt-Del when I want to log out and shut down, is just annoying. "Tin cans tied to its tail" is my impression of that. While it was obvious why I needed to migrate my Windows setup from XP to Win 7 (skipping Vista), it is not at all obvious why I would even think of migrating it to Win 8, unless/until Win 7 reaches the end of all hope of sufficiency.

On the TPM / UEFI thing, being a DIY builder of my own computers, and a Newegg customer for 8 years now, it looks to me like the smart motherboard OEM is going to maintain a line of BIOS-compatible products, or at least products that allow the builder to defeat mandatory lock-in to a self-destructing OS. I'm a Linux user today due strictly to Microsoft's attempts to interfere with my prerogatives as the exclusive owner-operator of my hardware. I'm no more enamored of manipulative controls built into the hardware than I am of manipulative controls built into the OS.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
      WIN8 thought something was broken and tried to repair but couldn't. Trying to find a sound configuration for VBOX and that guest goes very wrong as well. I'm going to chalk that up to it being a test and they have it "limited' somehow. Hope that isn't the new model where changing components causes mass havoc.
      Sounds like some bugs in component-based servicing. What a monster that thing's become.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        Sounds like some bugs in component-based servicing. What a monster that thing's become.
        The CBS architecture is far more robust and secure than the installers in previous operating systems.
        That must be the BIG PRINT.

Moonrise is reading the small print.

Wow! I don't even run Windows and I am learning more about it than when I did run it at work!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The original purpose of CBS was to maintain certain elements of managed code. The some <sarcasm>bright guy</sarcasm> thought it would be a GREAT! foundation for the update mechanism for the entire OS.

And now we see the results of what happens when you use a wrench to pound in a screw.

Comment

Tsk, tsk, tsk. All I can say is I finally got tired of reinstalling after trying to do what I see as simple things from a tech perspective. Hopefully for users who have to use it I hope the MS WGA (or what ever incarnation it is now) allows that. I don't need that kind of a headache.

Comment

And now we see the results of what happens when you use a wrench to pound in a screw
              Oh my golly louise.....how many times have I observed that since I started teaching at the college level!

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Every edumacated person nos that u use a pile driver to put a skrew in. Wrenches are for doing the laundry and house cleaning.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  Wrenches are for doing the laundry and house cleaning.
                  I think you have a spurious "r" in the first word.

Comment

Working...
                  X