Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a netbook with a synaptics touchpad(clickpad). I have tried all buntus, bodhi , pinguy os, mint gnome and kde .
    Two finger scrolling works only in mint kde . May be it is a hidden option which is turned on by default in mint kde but I am happy that it just works.
    Loka samastha sukhino bhavanthu

Comment

Originally posted by r View Post
      I have a netbook with a synaptics touchpad(clickpad). I have tried all buntus, bodhi , pinguy os, mint gnome and kde .
      Two finger scrolling works only in mint kde . May be it is a hidden option which is turned on by default in mint kde but I am happy that it just works.
      There was an issue about this in KMint a while ago... I don't know if they ever resolved it.... it has to do with some change upstream in later versions why something like Karmic and before worked and then later it didn't.

Check:
      http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopi...aptics#p182906

It may provide a solution, but I don't follow KMint any longer.

Comment

I have to concur with GG on this one, rec9140. With a ~700 kB/s connection (average) via EV-DO, an (live)CD ISO (~700MB) takes a little over 2 hours to download; whereas a 4GB DVD ISO would take a bit over 12 hrs. As GG said, not everybody (including me and maybe some others in the forum) has the multi-megabit/sec connections. A live CD, or at least a minimal desktop CD ISO, would be a good starting point, at least to test the hardware.
        About 5 Mb/s would need to be the minimum everywhere for DVD ISOs to suffice for most. I personnally wouldn't mind dl'ing a 120MB ISO with just kde-plasma-desktop (plus required deps but without recommends) as a starter so I qouldn't need to use the mini CD for install.

BTW GG, I don't think even the kernel could fit on a 680 KB iso,l much less a whole OS environment.
        The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski View Post
          I have to concur with GG on this one, rec9140. With a ~700 kB/s connection (average) via EV-DO, an (live)CD ISO (~700MB) takes a little over 2 hours to download; whereas a 4GB DVD ISO would take a bit over 12 hrs. As GG said, not everybody (including me and maybe some others in the forum) has the
          I don't agree, and I've heard this and that for years on this.

I downloaded distros when the norm were CD's at 128K ISDN thats 11 HOURS +- barring any other activity and issues. Did so for about 3 years. 2 hours on EVDO, peanuts.

Yes I have 10 and 25MBs connections via crabple and fiber available, and I use them. Yes that sucking sound is the internet being drained at my end. And its been that way since having a RM356 on V.90 dial up 24/7 to ISDN 128K 24/7 to now. My ability to DL or my (or any one else) inability is not the distro's problem.

I disagree, and no argument is going to change my view on this. I've heard this ad nauseum, I dismiss it. Its 2012 and the bar of entry in getting ISO's has been raised. If thats not something you can support you can choose to use a CD/DVD mailing service. I've done that too, to get many German only released DVD's of a distro at the time. All with out whining that the distro should slim down the ISO, and make it available here, or what ever. I wanted the ISO, did what was required to get it be it 11 hours of DL or $30 worth of postage from DE.

I want to DL an ISO, install and have my system ready to go with out having to do a bunch of extra work.

I am not swayed.

Comment

BTW GG, I don't think even the kernel could fit on a 680 KB iso,l much less a whole OS environment.
            Opps! Typo! Good catch!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by rec9140 View Post

I am not swayed.
              I believe you!
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'd rather have just what I want installed and nothing I don't. Therefore I'd rather start with a base (either a mini.iso type or a minimal GUI install (like older Windows install CDs for 95 or 98) and go from there. A minimal Kubuntu install (maybe live?) CD with kde-plasma-desktop plus hard dependancies and drivers (printers, wireless, video, etc.) should be enough to get things started. (I'm sure someone already has created an ISO almostlike that somewhere).
                The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  I installed the 32bit LinuxMint KDE 12 distro as a guest OS under VB, just to see how it shaped up with Oneiric.

It IS Oneiric!

Based on "Ubuntu 11.10". Same beauty moles, same warts. Install screens and questions exactly the same. Even the blue shaded screens and halos.

Just different branding: logo, splash screens. But, once you install it and replace the LinuxMint wallpaper with something of your own choice, it's Kubuntu!

(That was an easy review)
                  *like* =D

Comment

I'd rather have just what I want installed and nothing I don't. Therefore I'd rather start with a base (either a mini.iso type or a minimal GUI install (like older Windows install CDs for 95 or 98) and go from there. A minimal Kubuntu install (maybe live?) CD with kde-plasma-desktop plus hard dependancies and drivers (printers, wireless, video, etc.) should be enough to get things started. (I'm sure someone already has created an ISO almostlike that somewhere).
                    Perhaps my process for building up a KDE-based Ubuntu by hand would be close to what you're looking for.

Comment

Cool! I'll have to try that next time I have to do a reinstall.

Comment

Try Gentoo - steep learning curve but you'll get exactly what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Queequeg View Post
                          Try Gentoo - steep learning curve but you'll get exactly what you want.
                          Or archlinux its like Gentoo with out all that damned compiling

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                            Or archlinux its like Gentoo with out all that damned compiling
                            I've always figured that the people who are adept enough to use Gentoo or Arch should be able to tweak and modify kubuntu to their heart's content and still have a lot of free time on their hands. If nothing else, do a minimal command line install of kubuntu and only add the packages you want after that.

That said, Arch has some great documentation.

Comment

Talking about Gentoo I've got Sabayon on a 5 y/o computer and it has a nice and solid feel.
                              Again without compiling.

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
                                I've always figured that the people who are adept enough to use Gentoo or Arch should be able to tweak and modify kubuntu to their heart's content and still have a lot of free time on their hands. If nothing else, do a minimal command line install of kubuntu and only add the packages you want after that.

That said, Arch has some great documentation.
                                The thing I like like about archlinux over kubuntu is it's transparency, *ubuntu hides allot of what it does from the user to make their experience nicer. Which is brilliant if you don't care about tinkering with your system much and it's more likely to just work (tm). But with archlinux, if something breaks then you either know how to fix it (since you configured it in the first place), or can very easily find out what's wrong and how it should be fixed via their wiki. Where as I find ubuntu's wiki only really explains how to fix common problems and assumes you haven't customised it much if at all.

Generally I found it allot more work to get kubuntu striped down to what I want as with each update it assumes you have kubuntu-desktop installed which makes it harder to upgrade without breaking something (and have seen quite a few installs which break after some update if it isn't installed or an update remove it and break the system). Where its very easy to build up archlinux from the basics since that's what it is designed to do.

^^ Now, I don't mean to promote archlinux over kubuntu... I feel both have their place in the world and are designed for different sets of people. I just find kubuntu better for people who want something that just works and arch for those that like to tinker

Comment

Working...
                                X