This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a distro's beta release doesn't work and forum is not worth much

I won't mention the name of the distro, which has been around for quite a while, but they just had a major release and a beta release that incorporates the absolute latest and greatest.

The "release" works pretty good but the "beta" installs and then, after an hour in an install, won't get past a certain place in when the OS is actually deploying to the desktop.

There is no live cd.

That is ok, it is beta stuff and any experienced Linux person has dealt with that kind of thing and you just go on with biddness.....but quite a few people have experienced the same thing as I and when I posted a first report I got a kind of a question.... and then zip....nada....zilch....

The same with the other folks....

no replies nothing....

What I'm getting at here is that this was somewhat of a surprise.... like I said the distro has been around a while and I expected at least a little help or at least after a lot of people have posted the same problem a "mea culpa"....

but no mea culpa not even a mea whatever....

so..... it is sad.... but also a lesson to be learned for other folks who are new to Linux to learn.....

A forum that actually offers support and that also is willing to own up to problems ...is a forum to "keep"....

Kubuntu forums is a good example!

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Re: a distro's beta release doesn't work and forum is not worth much

I find that if the forum in question is large, new posts can get lost in the mix quite easily. Ubuntuforums is an example. But in any case, it still takes users who are present, knowledgeable, and interested, let alone able to reproduce or know the causes. And even if a distro has been around, doesn't mean it really has a lot of users/developers. Or developers who pay attention to the forum - which is often the case in general, even here.

Comment

Working...
    X