X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another idea...

Hi all....

This might have been discussed here in the past, I know it has in other forums but I'm wondering if it would be possible to provide a legal alternative to the libdvdcss issue (DVD playback) for the entirety of Linux users out there. As far as I can understand, for those of us who live in the United States, using a decryptor (or decoder) like libdvdcss is illegal under the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act,) unless a licensing fee has been paid. For Windows users, this would mean purchasing an plug-in for WMP, like CinePlayer by Roxio, as a legal example. Most likely, linux users in other countries face the same restrictions under similar laws.

How about those of us who use Linux contribute money to an organization who makes a universal media player, one that can be installed on any distro or OS (I'm thinking of VLC here,) specifically so the organization can purchase a license from the copyright holder to enable copies of the player to decode DVD's legally. The organization could set up a separate fund so that users could donate specifically to that cause. Another option would be to have a paid version of the player that could decode DVD's while the free version wouldn't.

While I haven't floated this idea to any of the organizations or projects like VLC, I wanted to hear what your guy's opinions are and what could be done.

Lord willing, I would be happy to kick a few dollars towards a solution like this and I think it could help a lot of people.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

Regards...
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Re: Another idea...

Corporations think their EULAs give them power to make laws and abrogate existing law. They adopt that attitude because they use their legal departments like a thug's truncheon, knee-capping users who dare to assert their "fair use" rights.

I have a right to play any DVD I legally purchase on my legally purchased DVD player residing in my legally purchased laptop without having to pay some one for the privilege. As far as I am concerned that priviledge was extended to me with the purchase of the player. It is unfortunate that they've bribed the judges (see tripsforjudges and similar sites) to blind their eyes toward violations of the anti-monopoly laws. What if BP put a molecule in their gas which would trigger a detector that Ford put into their gas tank. If the Ford computer didn't detect that molecule it would refuse to start. How long would auto consumers stand still for that? The dvdcss is that molecule. The DMCA was a bill passed by congressmen who were BRIBED by corporate "campaign donations".
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      I have a right to play any DVD I legally purchase on my legally purchased DVD player residing in my legally purchased laptop without having to pay some one for the privilege.
      Hi GreyGeek...

I certainly feel your heat...

Actually, I do agree that changes need to be made to the DMCA to allow for what you've written in the quote above. I think that can be accomplished without violating anyone's copyright or right to royalties. I was just trying to come up with a solution until a possible change in this law, either by Congress or the court system.

Regards...
      Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
      How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
      PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

I have always felt that since I own a legal copy of Windows and the software to legally play DVD's I can use libdvdcss legally. I purchased the license even if I don't use the Windows software.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
          I have always felt that since I own a legal copy of Windows and the software to legally play DVD's I can use libdvdcss legally. I purchased the license even if I don't use the Windows software.
          Hi Detonate...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Let's put this another way, how would these options sound to you if looked at it from my angle?

Regards...

Comment

I concur with Greygeek. Stupid laws ought to be neglected. The fact that corrupt businessmen and bribed judges happen to think they can impose their immoral ways on you is plain wrong. History of mankind shows that civil disobedience is the only way to break through regimes. The DMCA is an example of a dictatorial rule for which there is no moral obligation to comply with it. Think of it: whose money are you stealing or whose life are you ruining by watching DVDs on your PC?

If we had never stood up against those who make the rules, we would still be living in a feudal society. I am glad some ancestors of ours were not of the law abiding citizen class.

Comment

I would use libdvdcss without any sense of guilt as a way of protest of what I consider unfair legal restrictions. I feel that if I own a DVD that I paid for I should be able to play it on any piece of equipment I legally own. I agree with GreyGreek on this matter.;

Comment

Has anyone ever heard of someone actually being prosecuted for violations of these unfair rules? I mean individuals, not huge file sharing sites like Limewire.

Comment

Such cases are 'rare' but have taken place.
                  First Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) Criminal Sentencing in California Involving
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The person in that case was not just playing his own personal DVDs. He was counterfeiting and transferring illegally obtained materials. A practice I am sure none of use participate in.

Comment

True. But it was a 'person' who was charged and convicted under the DMCA. I do agree, that a 'user' who has purchased any media covered under the DMCA *should* have the right to copy/duplicate "for their personal use" such media.

Comment

According to court documents, more than 4,500 bootlegged video tapes were found on December 5th, and 6th, 2001 during the service of five federal search warrants at three video stores
                        He was a thief and a pirate, not an individual practicing his constitutionally guaranteed "fair use" rights.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...k-coming-linux

its still a grey area, though

Comment

Unfortunately, at the same time Judge Garcia's decision was being read, the US Copyright Office weighed in on exemptions to the DMCA. On the subject of streaming and DVD content on Linux, it held up its earlier opinion that in the absence of a real problem Linux users should just get an alternative platform. In other words, there aren't enough Linux users to warrant any change in policy and the few there are should just buy a Windows PC.
                            Anyone care to wager that M$ didn't in some fashion, influence this decision? :P

Comment

I am sure they did

I just doubt that The Man, or even the mpaa/riaa/other @$$!@les will go after anyone for simply downloading libdvdcss and using it to watch a movie. So still grey :/

Comment

Working...
                              X