Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nokia follows in Novell's footprints ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nokia follows in Novell's footprints ...

In a letter to developers today, Nokia announced that it was switching from Symbian to Win7 as the OS for its mobile phones!
    Nokia and Microsoft today announced plans to form a broad strategic partnership that would combine our complementary strengths and expertise to create a new global mobile ecosystem, one we believe would have all the elements needed to fuel innovation – including search, location, advertising and exciting new devices.

As part of this, Nokia plans to adopt Windows Phone as our primary smartphone strategy, helping drive the future of the platform.
    Microsoft would make available the existing free Windows Phone Developer Tools; Visual Studio 2010, Expression, Silverlight and the XNA Framework to developers. Together, we will provide guidance for developers wishing to port their applications to Windows Phone.
    Now comes the bad part:
    The Qt ecosystem

Qt will continue to be the development framework for Symbian/MeeGo/Maemo and Nokia will use Symbian for further devices (whatever they are?, but Qt R&D is being reduced - GG); continuing to develop strategic applications in Qt for Symbian platform and encouraging application developers to do the same. With 200 million users worldwide and Nokia planning to sell around 150 million more Symbian devices, Symbian still offers unparalleled geographical scale for developers.

Extending the scope of Qt further will be our first MeeGo-related open source device, which we plan to ship later this year. Though our plans for MeeGo have been adapted in light of our planned partnership with Microsoft, that device will be compatible with applications developed within the Qt framework and so give Qt developers a further device to target.
    What they are saying between the lines is that Nokia mobile phones for the USA and other 1st world (read rich) markets will be running Win7 Mobile. For the market in India and other 2nd world (read poor) markets their phones will continue to run Maemo.

I heard about this as a rumor a couple days ago and didn't believe it would happen, until I learned that Nokia's recently hired CEO, Elop, is a former Microsoft executive. Only a CEO saturated with MS Koolaid would think merging a company which has a market share at 22% and falling with a company that has a 3% market share and falling a good idea. It's obvious that this "partnership" will help Microsoft in the mobile phone market place MORE than it will help Nokia, so it has me wondering if his decision was made in the best interest of Nokia ... or Microsoft. IOW, who is he really working for? My first thought was that "partnering" with Nokia and getting it to switch to SilverLight would be something Microsoft would do to hamper or stop the exploding adoption rate of Qt4. After all, what was the sum total of their "partnership" with Novell? Getting enterprises running RH, CENTOS and other Linux servers to replace them with SUSE servers, which were installed deliberately without "Master Browser" capability, so that they could be easily replaced with Win2003 servers at a later date without disrupting the enterprise network.

A little over 24 hours ago Nokia stock sold for $8.49. Now is hoovering around $6.90, a drop of more than 18%. That may indicate that investors aren't looking too favorably on this "partnership". Perhaps they had Novell on their minds. Will Nokia be "Novell Part Duce"? I suspect that some heavy money moves will try to bolster the Nokia price level or pump it up, then sell. Typical pump & dump.

The comment section to that announcement has been flooded with msgs from ANGRY developers, who justifiably feel EXPLOITED. Only a few wrote that the partnership was a good idea. Nokia interspersed the mostly negative comments with soothing words of encouragement, but the developers arn't having it.

Nokia courted the FOSS developers to enter a "partnership" after it purchased Trolltech. It enhanced Qt4 and added QtCreator and an awesome SDK, putting Qt4 in the world class level of developer tools, if not the TOP development tool in the world. There was a LOT of free coding given to Symbian /Maemo by FOSS developers, and they also wrote lots of apps (even to sell), because apps is the name of the game in mobile phones. So, IF apps are the name of the game, and mobile Win7 has done poorly, many say, precisely because it has so few apps available, and no one is writing apps for it because 3% isn't a big enough market share to encourage developers to take the risk and invest their money and time, WHY does Nokia tell its app community to switch to Windows Phone 7, SilverLight and XNF? Was Nokia management so arrogant that it did not understand the culture it was exploiting, shamelessly it now turns out?

But, all is not lost. Thankfully, Qt4 is under the GPL (or LGPL) and so regardless of what Nokia does or does not do, it will continue to thrive as a development tool because it is SO good, and it is truly "write once, compile anywhere". It may be called something else, but Rose by any other name is still a Rose, and Linux will continue to benefit from Qt (or what ever it will be called if it is forked) and KDE. So, don't abandon your Qt skills nor hesitate to learn how to write software using Qt.. The tools are in the repository. When you install them be sure to install qt4-docs, which will write the API to your local hard drive and you won't have to depend on Nokia's webpage for the API.

The bad news, I feel, is only for Nokia. May it RIP.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Nokia follows in Novell's footprints ...

I believe that nokia will be bought by M$ eventually.

I wonder if and hope that this is one of the reasons why Mark Shuttleworth has recently announced that QT will be actively used on Ubuntu (started with Unity 2D)...

Comment

My first thought was, Oh God what is going to happen to Qt & KDE, then I had to double check to make sure Qt has been licensed under the GPL.

I think this "partnership" could possibly be the end the road for Nokia. As it is, I don't know of anyone who even owns a Nokia phone (mostly just iPhone, Blackberry, Samsung, HTC), and I also don't know anyone who is using Windows phone either. Like someone else mentioned on another blog, an I quote "two turkeys don't make an eagle",

When I found out that the new CEO is a former MS executive - it all made sense, here is someone who is fully MS indoctrinated, why else would a company like Nokia with huge potential make such a stupid move.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this works out.

Comment

Shuttlesworth moved to Qt for Unity2D because he had advanced notice of the Nokia/MS deal? Interesting thought.

My thought along that line would be that since the parts of Mono NOT covered by the EMCA 334 & 335 standards are a definite patent risk, Mono would not be a good tool to use to create a GUI. Also Qt4 is a MUCH RICHER and DEEPER API, and extremly well documented. The third reason is that QtCreate/SDK is too powerful a software tool to avoid. Finally, Qt4 is under the GPL/LGPL and cannot be controlled by Microsoft. After all, if Microsoft's API becomes the default on Linux then what is the point of Linux?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          Shuttlesworth moved to Qt for Unity2D because he had advanced notice of the Nokia/MS deal? Interesting thought.
          It is reasonable, and also my personal hope, but frankly I don't want to sound like a cuckoo conspiracy theorist.
          Even if it was just a plain coincidence, and not a intentional move, Shuttleworth and Ubuntu brain team should consider embracing QT more, for ubuntu recently started targeting the Tablet PC market. Why not use an already mature framework such as QT which has also proved to be fruitful on smaller mobile devices such as cell phones? I don't know what exactly Shuttleworth's agenda for Unity 2d (QT) is but, I think they are developing it not only for underpowered PC's/netbooks/tablets, but also for smaller mobile devices. Thanks to QT, in theory, it should be more flexible, scalable and easy to develop (imho, given the development time, actual version of Unity 2d already proves this).

Regards.

Comment

And whatever happens to the Nokia/Qt there is the > KDE Free Qt Foundation:
            The KDE Free Qt Foundation is an organization founded by Trolltech and the KDE e.V. in 1998 with the purpose of securing the availability of the Qt toolkit for the development of Free Software and in particular for the development of the K Desktop Environment (KDE).

To fulfil the purpose of the Foundation, an agreement between Trolltech and the Foundation was made. This gives the Foundation the right to release Qt under a BSD-style license in case Trolltech doesn't continue the development of the Qt Free Edition for any reason including, but not limited to, a buy-out of Trolltech, a merger or bankruptcy...
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

There is an interesting discussion in Phoronix, most people thinking alng the same lines. Some suggested some brilliant explanation: Nokia was going down (why the F did they not embrace android in 2010?). MS presented Nokia's board a mafia deal: we'll inject a lof of cash into Nokia through a Partnership. Familiar anyone? Is this a Novel idea?

For MS this is a win situation: invest some money, get some mobile market share, let them die, buy them for peanuts. How I hate these crooks.

Comment

It looks like about 1,000 workers at a Finnish Tampere Nokia plant walked off the job in protest today. There were several comments from what appear to be MS Technical Evangelists (or maybe just astroturfers) but one comment, a retort to them, is worth repeating:
                Who failed to innovate?

Was it the employees, or management? Now, who is paying the price for the direction that highly paid ‘professionals’ in management made? Oh, yeah … the engineers are the one’s who pay the price.

And who determines that Symbian will be the code of the day? Oh, yeah … management. And who is in charge of training current employees on new technologies? Oh, yeah … management dictates what classes are taught, which employees go to them, and what classes they are willing to send an employee to.

Who is in charge of training employees on new technologies? Management. That’s why they have a training budget. But, it’s typically wasted on ‘Sensitivity Training’, ‘Environmental’, and other waste of time classes. These courses cost as much to send an employee to as teaching them Android.

Who decides what phone models will make it to production? Engineers or managment? think hard on this one. I’ll take a wild guess and say management.

Who gets the big bonus if sales go high? Managers. Who gets fired if sales are low? Engineers.

Engineers do what they are told. If they are told to so something foolish and they refuse, they are fired. When the product fails in the marketplace – who gets laid off?

When the crap hits the fan – the ones who screwed up; are the one’s who decide who pays the price – and that is always the engineers/laborers.

Before Hector Ruiz destroyed AMD, he destroyed Motorola. Motorola USED to make chips. Hector destroyed that entire business sector. Now Freescale rose from the ashes and is doing well. Hector then destroyed AMD’s FLASH, EPROM and microcontroller arm. Spansion rose from the ashes and is competing well. Hector destroyed the AMD chipset group, now AMD has no option but rely on other companies to make chip sets to support their products.

The problem isn’t the engineers, it’s MANAGEMENT. Engineers are the one’s who have their livelihood at stake, their homes, family, bills and retirement hanging at the whim of management.

That’s reality. Engineers at Apple are not genetically modified super-humans. Apple has excellent management.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
                  And whatever happens to the Nokia/Qt there is the > KDE Free Qt Foundation:
                  That is a relief. Funny, I thought I would see dozens of posts about this here, because of the implications for Qt/KDE. I logged in on my android phone and posted my previous comment above.

Two things come to mind: first of all, Qt won't be the same without a strong corporate backing. But who knows, Google may come to the rescue, once again.

Second: this should be a slap in the face to all the people who harshly criticized the Free Software advocates who, years ago, pushed for Qt to be open sourced. At that time, many would argue that Qt was kind of free, that Trolltech were a bunch of cool people, which was true ... but see what happened. If it hadn't been for these "Free Software Fundamentalists", we would be in big ****e.

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                    Two things come to mind: first of all, Qt won't be the same without a strong corporate backing. But who knows, Google may come to the rescue, once again.
                    Or Oracle...

Comment

Wow, it appears that Elop may be a covert MS corporate hit man...
                      http://piacentini.blog.br/2011/02/elop-is-after-me/

Comment

Originally posted by skunk
                        Or Oracle...
                        Believe me, you DO NOT want Oracle's fingers in Qt. Just look at what's happening to Java and OOo under his "care".

Comment

Because of the overwhelming outrage against being thrown under the bus by Elop, AFTER he PROMISED last November that Qt would continue to be the dev tool for Symbian, Nokia felt it necessary to explain Qt's future at Nokia in this blog posting. The reaction in the comments sections points out glaring discrepancies in the blog and promises.

And, there appears to be a lot of "I see no future for Qt", "Qt is dead" type postings, which would make Ballmer rub his hands in glee. But, I suspect a lot of those postings are by TE's or MS sycophants, and not Qt developers themselves.

Comment

Do we ever expect anything less from M$. This is their same ol' tactic in different form. I suspected that years back when Ubuntu came out and made such a splash. I figured M$ would find a covert way of infiltrating and dismantling the competition. That is what they are doing. they are doing it to the "Open Standards" as well. I know people would call what I say being Anti-M$, but its not and that is what is happening. They are threatened and they are defending the only way they know, buy and destroy. They did it to DR-DOS they are doing it now!

Or Oracle...
                            Believe me, you DO NOT want Oracle's fingers in Qt. Just look at what's happening to Java and OOo under his "care".
                            Agreed. Oracle has turned out no better than M$ and they are doing the same!

Comment

Or Oracle...
                              I think that was skunk's point :P

Nevertheless, I don't think qt is in any danger.

Comment

Working...
                              X