X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats your take on linux mint KDE

Hello friends..
    its been 2 and half years since i took plunge in kubuntu.. and still loving it.
    but recently i tri-booted. kubuntu as solid fav distro which i use most of the time..along with linux mint 10 and ubuntu 11.04 alpha.

kubuntu works almost without hitch for me.. but once in a while there are few things which dont work.. e.g. the 3gp file, only some of wmv files. ( i have restricted repo installed)
    and i was in bit hurry..so i ran those files using linux mint 10 (gnome). i am amazed by the way linux mint has everything working out of the box and have managed to make it an elegant distro.
    and IMHO linux mint is the best distro for noob.

with linux mint kde 10 around the corner, and buzz going on their community: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopi...9568&start=200 i feel like removing kubuntu and use linux mint kde 10 once it is launched. as i dont bother if distro has some of the _non open source_ things included..as long as they are free

have anyone of you tried linux mint kde? whats your take on that.

PS: i just love this forum.. so wont be leaving even after i switch to lm kde.
    asus A52N
    Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
    AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
    windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Re: whats your take on linux mint KDE

Hi,

I can't wait 'til they get the rolling release KDE version out - I'll be using that for friends and businesses who managed to get me to look after their computers.

But you are right, this forum is cool and there is more than just one or two who don't use kubuntu any more but still hang around
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

If I am not mistaken, Mint with KDE still uses Kubuntu's KDE repos/packages. So many, of not all, of your KDE related experiences should be the same i either OS. Now Mint have their own tools and such and seem to do a nice job. I have not given it a real test in a while - the last time I tried it it was weird as it had Songbird as the default audio player, and a few other defaults that I found strange, personally. But defaults can be changed . It just seems it is just just Kubuntu with a different theme, all the codecs, and a different selection of default apps.

of course the theme/apps selection probably well suits a few people quite nicely

Comment

Excellent, well polished distro, but not bleeding edge. I keep it as a guest OS on VB.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@toad: are they going to give out rolling KDE releases?? that would be nice
          @claydoh: check out the mint 10.. it is smoooooooooth. i wish kde version will also be that smooth.

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          Excellent, well polished distro, but not bleeding edge. I keep it as a guest OS on VB.
          @GG: which mint you have on VB?
          asus A52N

Comment

Linux Mint 9 KDE
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi

I just tested Mint 10.10 KDE. Overall, it is a Kubuntu with better defaults and a few nice customizations. It seems a bit more useful out of the box, since many of the things that I typically configure after install are already there.

I looked at the sources, and they are mostly the usual kubuntu repos, with a couple additional Mint specific repos, and some of the usual addons, like the medibuntu, etc. That also saves some time to the new user, in that some of these things are already setup.

The desktop is configured to double click, which annoys me, but you can change that in System Settings. I praise their decision of include Synaptic by default, and default it to blend with KDE's style. I also liked their Software Manager, a customized version of KPackageKit, it seems, with a ranking system by popularity, which is something we desperately need. One negative is that many of their applications appear both in System and Settings in the menu. Overall, Kubuntu is very slick, and so is mint, I don't see a difference in polish.

Veredict: I am sticking to Kubuntu, but I'll see if I can install their software manager.

To be noted: I use LXDE as a secondary desktop in my computers, just in case KDE craps out (better safe than sorry). So, I tested the mint RC with LXDE. It looks REALLY promising. A couple things were broken (sound and fonts), but this could be a really nice OS for systems with limited resources (supposedly, it runs on 256 Mb Ram)

Comment

Think the main difference is the default software selection, while Kubuntu is obviously trying to use only KDE / QT programs whereever possible (Rekonq, KPackageKit, ...), Mint KDE is more "Mainstream" (or "Best of Both worlds" ?), packing all your FOSS favorites (Firefox, Thunderbird, Gimpp, ...) and their own Mint tools, no matter if they are Gnome / GTK or not.

And yes, I'd like to see a KDE edition of Mint Debian, too, although the difference to just using Debian Testing KDE would probabl be very small.
                "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." - Mitch Ratcliffe

Comment

after venturing into linux mint KDE for some time.. i have come back to good ol kubuntu.
                  1. yes.. i agree with lmilano, double click is annoying. and first thing i did was to change it to single click.
                  2. i am loving the new kpackage kit, with the exception that it should have had the ranking by popularity.
                  Though I am looking forward to the http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/02/a...ore-for-linux/
                  3. even LMKDE use the kubuntu backports..
                  4. They have used gnome apps excessively. which also annoyed me.

So, i realised that only reason i was thinking of shifting to LMKDE was the apple.com video support which was pointless as I anyways don't go to apple's website.

back to kubu
                  asus A52N

Comment

I've had network problems with lmde, haven't bothered to get into it as it merely serves as a backup system anyway.

I suppose a wicd install would clear them, but their network manager looks so cool
                    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

My 2 pence...
                      For me, Mint KDE is mess of Mint and KDE. Worse than each of them taken alone.
                      I prefer Kubuntu, I like KDE in SLAX and Puppy Trinity. But Mint KDE is a thing which I will definitely avoid.
                      http://linuxblog.darkduck.com

Comment

http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

5. Will it come with KDE or other desktops?

The decision wasn't made yet. When it's fully on par with the Main Edition and if there is a demand for it, further editions will come for LMDE.
                        Sounds pretty kool

Welcome newbies!
                        Verify the ISO
                        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I use the gnome version of LMDE (64 bit) and have been very happy with it...but Jamie (also known as "Boo") who does Mint's KDE edition mentioned in a podcast interview that he would likely be doing a "meta package" to add his customized kde to LMDE...

Clem over there at mint also has Ikey now on full salary and working i think exclusively on LMDE, so expect lots of refinements, including an automatic driver install for wireless (which lmde does not currently have), more newbie friendly install options, etc etc...what started as an "experiment" has become a very popular option over at Linux Mint....

Comment

Working...
                          X