Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An uncertain future awaits me in Linux...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An uncertain future awaits me in Linux...

Foreword: Please allow me to rant a bit, as the results of my "investigations" for the past days have not been very inspiring, to say the least. This thread is both a rant and a plea for help, specially from people who are familiar with the Linux kernel.

Short Summary: It seems that the optical mouse that I am currently using right now will no longer work with kernel versions higher than 2.6.15-23. This incudes 2.6.16, 2.6.17, and even Ubuntu's own 2.6.15-25.

Background Story:
    May 2006: SymphonyOS 2006-05 Beta was released. I was always curious about this little project so I decided to try it out, since it came in a Live CD. However, my mouse didn't work. Thinking that since this was a beta version, it might be due to some problems with the OS itself. I decided not to pursue the matter further.

June 2006: Dapper Drake was released. A few days after it's official release, a kernel update was made available in order to address some security issues with the default installed kernel. This update installs the 2.6.15-25 kernel. The upgrade was successful, but my mouse didn't work. I posted this problem several times, and even filed my first ever bug report. There were others who had problems with the upgrades as well, and I was hoping my problem would be similarly solved in a few days. I was not that fortunate. While almost everybody else's problems got solved little by little, mine began to gather dust.Defeated, I resigned myself to just use the 2.6.15-23 kernel for the meantime, hoping that a future kernel upgrade would be more promising.

July 2006: I began playing around with VMWare Server from the Ubuntu repositories. Out of a blue, I decided to give SymphonyOS one more try using VMWare. To my surprise, the mouse worked. Then, suddenly getting some inspiration from nowhere, I decided to type uname -r in the terminal. I then discovered that it was using the 2.6.16 kernel. I began to think that my mouse problems was, in some way, related to the kernel version that is being used by the distro. Prompted by this, I started looking for Live CD distros that were using the latest Linux kernels, in the hope of discovering whether this is really an Ubuntu only problem, a Debian only problem, or really a basic kernel problem. These were the distributions I tried and the kernel versions they were using:

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Debian-based) kernel 2.6.15-23 and 2.6.15-25
    SymphonyOS (Debian-based) kernel 2.6.16
    KNOPPIX 5.0.1 (Debian-based) kernel 2.6.17
    SimplyMEPIS 6 beta 3 (Ubuntu-based) kernel 2.6.15-22
    Berry Linux (Fedora Core-based) kernel 2.6.16
    GoblinX mini (Slackware-based) kernel 2.6.16.12
    The results of my "investigations": Only SimplyMEPIS 6 and Ubuntu using the 2.6.15-23 kernel was able to make my mouse work, confirming that it was indeed a kernel issue. I took a further step by testing these distros again, using a previous but currently-not-working-properly mouse (non-optical, still used the mouse ball, or whatever it's called). It was a mouse from a company called UniTek (serial number UM 1018, I think). And it worked. All of them worked. So based on these, I concluded that the latest versions of the kernel, and possibly (but hopefully not) future versions of the kernel cannot detect my current mouse. It fails in this aspect of hardware detection.

So this is a problem with the kernel, the very heart and soul of a GNU/Linux OS. Then my problem begins on how I could probably "solve" this.

Possible solutions:
    1. Compile my own version of the kernel, again hoping that a customized kernel would solve the problem. But then, would that mean I would have to compile everytime there's a new kernel version that comes out or everytime a patch is released? I didn't pick Slackware for a reason...

2. Buy a new mouse. This optical mouse is a generic PS/2 mouse, which I was able to buy from a very respectable local dealer for just around US$ 3.00 (rough conversion for our local currency). The dealer is a respectable one, but it doesn't really specializes in computer hardware/peripherals. Branded mice, like those from Logictech or A4 or Genius cost 4 times as much as the one I'm using. For someone out of work, that's qutie a big cost. I was hoping to save some cash in order to upgrade my system's memory or buy a tablet (not a Tablet PC!), but of course a mouse takes priority. But my dilemma is this: even if I were to buy a new, branded, mouse, what assurance do I have that something like this would not happen in the future? I mean, I have a perfectly working mouse under the present and past versions of the kernel, and now there's a possibility that it will not/never work in future versions. How do I know that it won't happen again with another mouse?

3. Third option would just to switch to BSD... Or if worse comes to worst, even back to Windows...

This incident has left me very sad (to put it mildly), a bit disappointed, and confused. I was led to believe that Linux is supposed to be compatible with a large number of non-Windows specific devices. I also thought that newer kernel versions accomodated/supported more and more hardware and not actually remove already supported hardware.

Then again, this might be a bug, or might be a very, very personal bug, something that only I have the misfortune of experiencing, which makes my situation all the more depressing. If it's a bug that I and only I have experienced, then the possibility of it being fixed, just for me, would be nil. And I wouldn't really be able to know if it's a kernel bug unless I file a bug report, right? Which brings me to the problem of filing a bug report for the Linux kernel. In my 7 months of using Linux, I have filed only one bug report, and even that was a disaster, IMO. Filing a bug report on a very busy and professional place like the kernel might be a task that may be beyond me.

This is why my future is uncertain. I'm not sure how to proceed. I have big plans for my Linux experience, but now they're all put into a temporary hiatus because of this.

I'd appreciate any help, input, comments, criticism, whatever. This hasn't been a very good day for me...

P.S. I'm attaching dmesg outputs from the test runs I made (continued in a second post). There are two sets per distro, one with a working mouse using my old mouse, and one with a non-working mouse using my current mouse. The dmesg for Ubuntu with a working mouse is using kernel 2.6.15-23, while the one with no working mouse is 2.6.16-25. If anyone with the know-how in deciphering these cryptic lines could take the time to read some of them, I'd be truly, truly grateful.

Btw, it seems that a common line in all the dmesg with non-working mice is

psmouse.c: Failed to enable mouse on isa0060/serio1
    Attached Files
    Jucato's Data Core

Re: An uncertain future awaits me in Linux...

It seems I can only attach 2 things per post, so I have to make multiple posts to attach more...
    Attached Files
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

KNOPPIX dmesg's

(I'm really sorry for the multiple posts )
      Attached Files
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

SymphonyOS dmesg

(this is starting to feel stupid...)
        Attached Files
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Ubuntu dmesg's

Working mouse using 2.6.15-23 kernel
          Non-working mouse using 2.6.15-25 kernel

This is the last batch...
          Attached Files
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

I assume you;ve looked over these things more carefully than I. I looked at the first two (berry?) and the last two (Kubuntu). The only line I found that said anything about mice was this
            mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
            Which was the same in all four files. Unless there's something else that I missed, which is quite possible, I conclude that the problem lies elsewhere. My latest scapegoat/panacea for all things hardware is udev. I am no kernel hacker, but I wonder if there was a change in the udev module between the 16-23 kernel and the 16-25 kernel. More generally, what WERE the changes in the modules between 16-23 and 16-25, if any?

I would suggest filing a bug on Malone because (a) I think it's really up to the Ubuntu developers to shield us from kernel glitches, and (b) I suspect that the Ubuntu folk will get more attention passing a bug upstream than you or I.

Comment

Thanks for taking time to read. Would you have any idea how I can fix this udev thing? I'm not really familiar with it.

I already filed a bug report in Malone as soon as this behavior started manifesting during the upgrade to 2.6.15-25. Here's that bug report. However, near the end, a Kubuntu dev (I think he's one of those in charged with the kernel) took a look and declared that it was, in fact, an Xorg problem, changing the "Affects" label from kernel to xorg. Of course, he's the more knowledgeable one, so going to believe him.

Anyway, I updated that bug report to include this new information and the dmesg logs. I hope that he takes a pick into it again, or I might e-mail him personally to inform him.

I guess I will really have to buy a new mouse. Just can't shake the feeling/uncertainty/fear that this might happen again. Probably buying a more expensive but more well-known branded mouse might give a small guarantee. I just find it ironic that I actually have to shell out a few more bucks to be able to use an OS that says that not everything that's expensive is better...
              Jucato's Data Core

Comment

The best way to learn about udev is to start here:http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

Added after reading bug report: Did you try the "dpkg-reconfigure udev" and is there any difference between the xorg.log files with kernel 23 and 25? BTW, did you save the 23 kernel after your upgrade? I always keep the next to last kernel around for just this sort of problem.

Comment

Yes I tried the dpkg-reconfigure udev, but with no success.
                  I wasn't able to check the xorg log files (where are they hidden again? ) when I did the comparison between the 23 and 25 kernels.

I'm using the 23 kernel now and uninstalled the the 25 kernel and will probably ignore any future kernel update for now. But when Edgy comes out with a new kernel, it would mean that I would be stuck with Dapper for a while longer.

Oh well, I guess I'll be buying a new mouse after all... I was hoping to really save up for that tablet though.
                  Jucato's Data Core

Comment

I wasn't able to check the xorg log files (where are they hidden again?
                    /var/log/Xorg.0.log is the current log and Xorg.0.log.old is the previous one. It's certainly worth a look.

Another thought that occured to me was changing the mouse driver.in the "Configured Mouse" stanza fo xorg.conf from ImPS/2 to ExplorerPS/2, or vice versa. But, I have no reason to think that will solve your problem. It's just another thing to try.

Personally, I'm still thinking kernel modules, If not udev, something else. Why should Xorg care about a kernel upgrade? Maybe that just means I don't know as much about Linux's inner workings as I should.

Comment

I'd say go for that bug report, even if it's a bit messy, just remember to use exact kernel names, mouse brand and model, and include the dmesgs. And when they ask questions, answer them.
                      <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Working...
                      X