This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seamless Kubuntu install on two desktops

Thanks to Kubuntu, my girlfriend and I have both finally settled into Linux on the desktop - for good.  We tried Red Hat 6.2 and 7.0 back whenever and hated the experience, so back to Windows we went.  Later, we tried FreeBSD, which we enjoyed but felt configuration took too long - they pushed us off when FreeBSD 5.0 hit and broke everything, so back to Windows we went.  About 3 weeks ago, I decided to give Gentoo a shot.  While I enjoyed the freedom of choice, compiling two individual KDE desktops took up over a week of my time.  Somehow, we wound up installing Kubuntu and we both fell in love - for once, FINALLY, we feel truly at home in Linux.

Neither of us are computer illiterate or "grandma" sort of users, but we aren't 16 anymore and we don't have the time or patience to deal with haphazard workarounds to get up and running. It dawned on me recently that I like tweaking my system, but I don't like tweaking my system for a week just to obtain basic functionality - it's time-consuming beyond belief and often frustrating.  We loaded Kubuntu up on her Athlon XP system and my Athlon 64 and all that frustration is gone, with every piece of hardware detected and configured without incident.

If I have any complaints, they're regarding things that are a long ways off for Linux in general.  Even so, maybe one day i'll see things like my E-Mu 1820m supported and a unified sound system similar to ASIO

Re: Seamless Kubuntu install on two desktops

Hi,

Welcome to Kubuntu, it's really nice to see posts like this, I think if developers would see it, they would love it

Cheers

Comment

Working...
    X