This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thoughts on this distro, and BeOS reminiscing to Kubuntu

Out of all the alternative os's I ever tried BeOS was the only one that I felt more at home in than Windows. It was an awesome OS with a strong and positive community. The company however got caught up with that internet appliance phase that fizzled out before it began. They sold the company to Palm and screwed their users. Guess that's the risk with a non-opensource os.
    Anyway, I've always wanted Linux to work for me because it's got so much software and development going for it. But none of the distro's seemed to have that sense of community and friendliness. Posting on any linux forum in the early days was a nightmare. You'd have to be extrememly careful about any questions you posted at the risk of getting flamed and mocked.
    So I have to say, Kubuntu, and the other Ubuntu desktops are the closest thing I've seen to that sense positive community. I can see why it has become so popular. Personally, I think it's not quite their on an OS level yet but that is more of a KDE/GNOME kind of thing for me. The Add/Remove program is awesome. Before where I might have dreaded upgrading or installing anything on linux, now I look foward to it. I never tried Debian but I can see why it was chosen for it's great package management.
    Another reason why Ubuntu is attrative to me is that they don't seem content to be a mere distribution. They seem as thoguh they are molding and shifting things at the OS level and the user experience.
    Now for the cons, K/X/Ed/Ubuntu is just not far along yet for the average pc user. The framework is there but I think it most likely has another couple of years to go. Also, why the splintering with Kubuntu and Ubuntu and Xubuntu, etc...? They are the same except with different window managers, right? Why not just have one central community with Xubuntu and it's distro and then have the choce on install on what window manager/s you want to have? It's such a strong and good community, it seems a shame to fragment it.
    Lastly, I am probably not ready to give up windows yet. I still need it for it's applications... Professional video editing, graphic and fx work...this stuff is best done on windows or a mac for the time being. The reason I found Xubuntu is because my old laptop woke up one morning and said OS NOT FOUND. I didn't have the patience to go find my antiquated copy of XP, go through that and the SP2 install and all that other crap. I decided to try something new. I choose Kubuntu because I felt the asthetics and such was closer to my personal tastes than gnome. It's been cool so far. Hope things continue on so...

Re: My thoughts on this distro, and BeOS reminiscing to Kubuntu

Hi,

So welcome to kubuntu
    Good to read posts like this, I feel quite the same as you I think about this community, really nice to see help between people...

Cheers

Comment

Ahhh, The BeOS, my lovely BeOS, how I miss thee......
      But without you I would never taken the long road that has eventually led me here

Comment

glad to have ya in the community, these guys all are really helpfull, so IF you do have any questions feel free to post, without the fear of being flamed.
        &quot;Time fades even legend&quot;<br />-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Comment

I've found two other forums that are pretty good. Mepislovers is bar none the best community I think I've every been in. Heck, I frequent there even when I'm not running the distro, I just like it. The PCLOS community is pretty good too, although there is a too frequent hounding for donations that annoys me. I'm pretty new here, but I've heard good things about the k/ubuntu gang ... who aren't quick to jump down your through with "RTFM n00b".

Looking forward to getting to know folks here. I'm all of a couple days into Kubuntu now ...

Comment

Working...
          X