This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very grateful

I've been using Ubuntu/Kubuntu since late 2008 when my Windows Vista decided to crash.
    I have not looked at Windows the same way again. In fact, I'm quick to point out their faults after being spoilt rotten by what I get from Ubuntu/Kubuntu.
    Teaching digital scrapbooking twice a week always brings up the Windows vs Linux question once my 2 friends see what I can do legally with Linux.
    Then there is the fact that both my childrens' (4yo & 17yo) computers and my husbands' laptop runs Ubuntu and I run Kubuntu all upgraded to Maverick as soon as it became official.
    So to all the newbies like me, the moderators, the very active members and anyone I have forgotten to mention; a warm, heartfelt thank you for being there, being patient and just being like family.
    Your support is worth it's weight in gold and you go about un-noticed and forgotten.

I've not forgotten any of you.

Re: Very grateful

Ah, shucks. Now ya done an got me all red in the face.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I don't know how or why this forum became what it is, but to me, it is by far my favorite forum. The regular contributors on this forum make a concentrated effort to assist with every problem posted and they do it with courtesy and friendliness not found on other forums. I remain active on this forum even though I no longer run KDE. There is a spirit about this forum that I can't explain, but it is not found on other forums. I believe that this forum has done more to forward the use of open source operating systems and software than many others. Here you are always treated as a friend and even newbies receive the utmost respect. Long live the forum.

Comment

snowflake_nz, you're the reason we are here.

Like you, we have realized the AMAZING GIFT that Linux, KDE4 and Kubuntu has given us, and helping here is one way to show our appreciation. Linux and FOSS is truly a gift that keeps on giving.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by snowflake_nz
          Teaching digital scrapbooking twice a week always brings up the Windows vs Linux question once my 2 friends see what I can do legally with Linux.
          I would be curious to learn what legal issues you have encountered. I've experienced headaches and issues in the past with Microsoft's licensing requirements. I help those who are poor as part of my business and for those who need a reinstall of Windows (and do not have a copy that's legal to use,) getting a legal copy of Windows is usually cost prohibitive. To avoid further arguments, I won't go into the reasons why I don't "suggestive sell" Linux to my clients.

Then there is the fact that both my childrens' (4yo & 17yo) computers and my husbands' laptop runs Ubuntu and I run Kubuntu all upgraded to Maverick as soon as it became official.
          I wonder if they had help in making this decision?

Regards...
          Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
          How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
          PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by ardvark71
            I won't go into the reasons why I don't "suggestive sell" Linux to my clients.

You mean recommending Linux replace Windows on their HD, or actually selling Linux and/or charging to install it? (which is not a violation of the GPL, btw)
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I would be curious to learn what legal issues you have encountered. I've experienced headaches and issues in the past with Microsoft's licensing requirements. I help those who are poor as part of my business and for those who need a reinstall of Windows (and do not have a copy that's legal to use,) getting a legal copy of Windows is usually cost prohibitive. To avoid further arguments, I won't go into the reasons why I don't "suggestive sell" Linux to my clients.

I wonder if they had help in making this decision?

Regards...
              Hi ardvark71
              I don't run windows at all, but my 2 friends do. I use Gimp and had them download it too. I cannot work with anything other than open source . . . purely because it's amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                You mean recommending Linux replace Windows on their HD, or actually selling Linux and/or charging to install it? (which is not a violation of the GPL, btw)
                Hi GreyGeek...

The former is correct, to replace Windows on a client's hard drive. I would never actually sell a copy of Linux to anyone, only for my labor in installing it. I don't feel it it is ethical to charge money for an OS I downloaded for free from the internet. I can throw in the CD, they're not that much.

@snowflake_nz: I'm not sure I understand your answer in relation to my question.

Regards...
                Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

I don't feel it it is ethical to charge money for an OS I downloaded for free from the internet.
                  Neither do I.

Comment

Working...
                  X