Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu Maverick on a Toshiba Portege M750 (tablet PC)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Maverick on a Toshiba Portege M750 (tablet PC)

Hi ! this is my first post in this forum. In the home page they say we are invited to post our experience in the "reviews section", but I couldn't find anywhere such a section ! I'm assuming it's here

So here is my experience of installing the latest kubuntu on a Toshiba Portege M750. It's a very interesting laptop - tablet PC with a wacom digitizer accepting both touch and high precision stylus.

Installation very smooth, with French language support, no problem.

Having experienced several issues when upgrading to a new version of kubuntu, I decided this time to do a fresh install with a new /home directory. I will import my data progressively.
    (I can afford this since it's not my primary laptop)

Boot time very fast - whoosh

Very nice impression overall. In particular, the touch screen is recognized out of the box ! (stylus works perfectly, touch works too but has to be slightly re-calibrated) This is an amazing progress compared to older versions.

What hardware works out of the box:
    -----------------------------------

* everything ! (screen with 3D accel, network, wifi, sound, DVD, bluetooth, SD card reader, you name it)
    well, no... in fact the fingerprint reader is probably not supported.

EDIT: oh no! suspend does not work !!
    EDIT: I have found a fix. See below

Some fine tuning are necessary:

* need calibrate touch more precisely
    * touch screen needs to be rotated manually after screen rotation.

Kubuntu Software
    ----------------

For the first time in my long KDE experience, the "search desktop" with nepomuk *seems* to work out of the box (at least there is no error message when run kontact/addressbook, finally !). Haven't tried strigi yet, though. But see below (problem with krunner)

Big problem:

* Suspend does not work. When I enter suspend to RAM, the screen blacks out as usual, but then the fan starts spinning loud, and after a few seconds spins even faster, and never stops. I need to provoke a hard shut down by pressing the power button for 3 secs. That's really too bad and almost a no-show, since suspend is vital for laptops.
    (In fact suspend does work... when the AC adaptator is plugged in, but that's not very useful)

In systems settings they tell me that everything should be OK for suspending to RAM...

This is a regression: suspend was working in previous versions of kubuntu/ubuntu on this laptop.

EDIT: I have found a fix here:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3112272.0
    It amounts to force the system to wait a couple of secs before suspending. I just added the following script /etc/pm/sleep.d/97quirk-wait

Code:
    #/bin/sh
    # hold off suspend for tasks to complete
    case $1 in
      suspend|hibernate) sleep 2;;
      resume|thaw)    ;;
      *) exit $NA ;;
    esac
    exit 0

I have tried a couple of times, and it works. Hope it's reliable !

Some small problems, sometimes regressions (issues that did not exist in the previous version)

* desktop effects work when you login for the first time, but for some reason they are desactivated when you log in again... and it happens at each subsequent login ! (need to invoke ALT-SHIFT-F12). That's annoying.

* The new default Ubuntu font looks nice the first time, but when you go to in system settings and activate anti-aliasing with full hint (which is much nicer to the eye on a laptop screen), the font becomes strangely small and not balanced. I switched to "Deja Vu Sans" which is quite nice.

* It happened to me that after a new login the font was set back to Ubuntu ! Wierd.

* krunner has an impressive list of features, but it's not even capable of finding a folder. I type ALT-F2 and enter "Musique" (which is the name of a folder in my home dir) without any result !
    This one is *really* annoying.

* Boot is very fast but for some reason the "kubuntu" logo that would usually show up after grub has disappeard. I have a couple of error messages (disappearing very fast into a black screen so I don't have the time to read them) and after 15sec the KDM login screen shows up.

* I have a dual boot with Windows Vista, but instead of a Vista entry, grub gives my something called "Window recovery environment". I don't care since, it boots into Vista, but this is strange.

* That's all for the moment. I'll be back when I have more time.

Thanks for reading !! If you have solutions to the problems listed above, please tell me !

Re: Kubuntu Maverick on a Toshiba Portege M750 (tablet PC)

I have transferred this message to a blog:

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/index.p...home&idu=41199

It will be easier for me to update it progressively.

Comment

Re: Kubuntu Maverick on a Toshiba Portege M750 (tablet PC)

ah, I just notice that the "reviews" section has been put as a link on the banner:

very good! now it's easy to find !

Comment

Working...
      X