Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does the LiveCD store everything during after booting?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where does the LiveCD store everything during after booting?

Does it just need enought RAM to let us test the LiveCD's contents? Or does it also need to mount the swap partitions (if available)?

I'm asking this (noobish) question because I've seen that sometimes a LiveCD or ISO let us install software to test it and later it installs it on the selected partition. Is that the way it works? Or did I just get the wrong impression and ended up quite confused?
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Re: Where does the LiveCD store everything during after booting?

Everything done from the LiveCD is done in a RAM drive. Nothing is written to a physical HDD.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Where does the LiveCD store everything during after booting?

Originally posted by kyonides
      Or does it also needs to mount the swap partitions (if available)?
      LiveCD will use swap partitions if there are swap partitions in the system (you can check this with the command "swapon -s" when running a livecd session). Of course it will try to keep things in RAM (swap usage is slow). As swap is only an extension of RAM, everything written to swap is gone when you reboot (for all effective purposes)

Comment

Working...
      X