This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qalculate!

Just read about this MARVELOUS and powerful calculator at http://maketecheasier.com/qalculate-...nux/2010/10/15

It's a keeper!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Qalculate!

Oh Jeez
    if only folks would read my how-to's (such as they may be)

Section 2 of
    -- The dd Command
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090824.0

very basic/into tutorial for ...

Section 2 Tools for doing your own experiments
    Some conclusions: result of dd copy and notrunc, sync
    Doing your own experiments to learn
    Creating test files, Looking at your results
    Useful Linux device files
    /dev/sdx, /dev/zero, /dev/null, /dev/urandom, /dev/mem
    Hexadecimal numbers
    Qalculate: a Hex calculator
    mc: Midnight Commander for reading your hex file
    Printing your Master Boot Record (MBR)
    Offsets, Print the MBR to a file, Using Midnight Commander to view MBR
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

We obviously are not referring to the same "Qalculate" application, or, it has been SIGNIFICANTLY improved.
      [img width=400 height=285]http://qalculate.sourceforge.net/gtk-manual/figures/calculator-buttons.png[/img]

and that snapshot doesn't even begin to do it justice.

How about differentiation and integration:
      [img width=380 height=400]http://qalculate.sourceforge.net/gtk-manual/figures/calculation-history.png[/img]

and it even includes an atomic chart with elemental constants, physics constants, financial formulas, and TONS more:
      http://qalculate.sourceforge.net/gtk...te-main-window

Hex conversions and calculations it can do, but that is a mere miniscule fraction of its capabilities.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Does it do statistical computations. Variance, standard deviation, reliability, correlation coefficient. I'm not doing it much anymore, but at one time I did a lot of it.

Comment

does it integrate or derive? that would be very helpful at this point.
          Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
          Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
          Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Originally posted by rfakhrai
            does it integrate or derive? that would be very helpful at this point.
            Calculus

Derive

diff(Function[, With respect to][, Order])

Arguments.

* Function: a free value
            * With respect to: an unknown variable/symbol (optional)
            * Order: an integer >= 1 (optional)

Extreme Values

extremum(Function[, With respect to])

Arguments.

* With respect to: an unknown variable/symbol (optional)

Integrate

integrate(Function[, Variable of Integration])

Arguments.

* Variable of Integration: an unknown variable/symbol (optional)

Check out the manual and drill down on its capabilities. It will STUN you.
            http://qalculate.sourceforge.net/gtk-manual/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
              Does it do statistical computations. Variance, standard deviation, reliability, correlation coefficient. I'm not doing it much anymore, but at one time I did a lot of it.
              http://qalculate.sourceforge.net/gtk-manual/apas14.html

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                Qalculate! features
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It positions itself between KCalc and Maxima (or SAGE), say at about 65% the distance.

Comment

RE: Statistical data

Seems to do everything one could want. Next time I have an array I need to analyze I will try it. Probably much simpler to use than Calc.

Comment

GG, yep the same Qalculate. I just wasn't clear in my post above and only introduced it in the context of number conversions. (With my math Master's + 2 years post, how could I fail to mention integral and differential functions! Ah, it was pure math that I spent my time on, that's why )
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Qqmike, you're my kind of guy!!! 8) I love math and physics ALMOST as much as I love my wife, kids and grand kids.

Comment

Working...
                        X