This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OOO >>> LibreOffice

The Document Foundation offers a preview of future product and technology developments

The document at the centre of a developers' friendly environment

The Internet, November 9, 2010 - "The Document Foundation is about documents and the associated software is pivotal to create, exchange, modify, share and print documents", says Thorsten Behrens, a software developer and a member of TDF Steering Committee. "LibreOffice 3.3 is the first flavour of this long term strategy, but the journey has just begun, and the enormous advantages of our developer-embracing environment are not yet fully reflected in the upcoming software release".

LibreOffice 3.3 is based on OOo 3.3, with code optimisations and many new features, which are going to offer a first preview of the new development directions for 2011 and beyond. TDF founders foresee a completely different future for the office suite paradigm, which - in the actual format - is over 20 years old, to be based on the document (where the software is a layer for the creation or the presentation of the contents).

TDF developers are working full steam at improving the overall quality of OOo code, which is a good starting point, and making easy testability of the code and quality assurance a priority. This is an area where new developers and code hackers, whose number has grown to over 90 in just a month, are instrumental for the bulk of the activity.

In addition, each single module of LibreOffice will be undergoing an extensive rewrite, with Calc being the first one to be redeveloped around a brand new engine - code named Ixion - that will increase performance, allow true versatility and add long awaited database and VBA macro handling features. Writer is going to be improved in the area of layout fidelity and Impress in the area of slideshow fidelity. Most of the new features are either meant to maintain compatibility with the market leading office suite or will introduce radical innovations. They will also improve conversion fidelity between formats, liberate content, and reduce Java dependency.

"The Document Foundation is going to be at the heart of the Free Software universe, where users want to build a different future for office suites, working together with developers", says Italo Vignoli, a digital immigrant, and the oldest member of TDF Steering Committee. "Users read, write, modify and share documents, and are focused on contents rather than software features. After 20 years of feature oriented software, it is now the right time to bring back content at the centre of user focus".

The house of The Document Foundation is at http://documentfoundation.org.

The Document Foundation has the mission to facilitate the evolution of the OOo Community into a new open, independent, and meritocratic organization within the next few months. An independent Foundation is a better match to the values of contributors, users and supporters, and will enable a more effective, efficient, transparent, and inclusive Community. TDF will protect past investments by building on the achievements of the first decade, encourage wide participation in the Community, and co-ordinate activity across the Community.

Media Contacts

Florian Effenberger (Germany)
    Mobile: +49 151 14424108 - E-mail: floeff@documentfoundation.org

Olivier Hallot (Brazil)
    Mobile: +55 21 88228812 - E-mail: olivier.hallot@documentfoundation.org

Charles H. Schulz (France)
    Mobile: +33 6 98655424 - E-mail: charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org

Italo Vignoli (Italy)
    Mobile: +39 348 5653829 - E-mail: italo.vignoli@documentfoundation.org

--
    E-mail to announce+help@documentfoundation.org for instructions on how to unsubscribe
    List archives are available at http://www.documentfoundation.org/lists/announce/

Comment

Well, the beta 3 was released yesterday, so feel free to give it a shot or two.
      Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
      Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

OK, this time they released the RC1 on 12/03/10. I guess it should be more stable than in previous versions, don't you think?
        Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

I am going to install it. I did not have any stability problems with the previous version. Still no .deb for 64 bit. >

Comment

Well, I found the .deb for 64 bit, but when I installed it, it said same version is already installed. So the must have just renamed the last update.

Comment

I'm running:
              LibreOffice 3.3.0
              OOO330m7 (Build:9526)
              libreoffice-build 3.2.99.0
              and it has been working without problems for me on this 64bit Kubuntu 10.4 fully updated.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Apparently, when they say that they want volunteers, rather like Mandriva who said they wanted volunteers to hold "install parties", what they say is not what they do.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

LibreOffice 3.3.0
                  OOO330m19 (Build:6)
                  tag libreoffice-3.3.0.4

32 bit at least, IDK about the 64 bit version...
                  Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

My 64-bit update has the same tags as kyonides 32-bit version. It's working fine so far.

Comment

LibreOffice 3.3 Final is now available at LibreOffice Homepage
                      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Below the last libreoffice entries of my install log. BTW, because of your post I just noted that they have PPC support. Now OpenOffice is definitely lacking that. Very nice and many thanks

Code:
                        [2010-11-20 08:05] upgraded libreoffice-en-GB (3.2.99.3-1 -> 3.2.99.3-2)
                        [2010-12-09 09:45] upgraded libreoffice (3.2.99.3-1 -> 3.3.0.1-1)
                        [2010-12-09 09:45] upgraded libreoffice-en-GB (3.2.99.3-2 -> 3.3.0.1-1)
                        [2010-12-25 15:34] upgraded libreoffice (3.3.0.1-1 -> 3.3.0.2-1)
                        [2010-12-26 10:08] upgraded libreoffice-en-GB (3.3.0.1-1 -> 3.3.0.2-1)
                        [2010-12-31 15:15] upgraded libreoffice (3.3.0.2-1 -> 3.3.0.2-2)
                        [2010-12-31 15:15] upgraded libreoffice-en-GB (3.3.0.2-1 -> 3.3.0.2-2)
                        [2011-01-01 08:35] upgraded libreoffice (3.3.0.2-2 -> 3.3.0.2-3)
                        [2011-01-18 11:46] upgraded libreoffice (3.3.0.2-3 -> 3.3.0.3-2)
                        [2011-01-18 11:46] upgraded libreoffice-en-GB (3.3.0.2-2 -> 3.3.0.3-2)
                        [2011-01-22 14:37] upgraded libreoffice (3.3.0.3-2 -> 3.3.0.4-1)
                        [2011-01-22 14:37] upgraded libreoffice-en-GB (3.3.0.3-2 -> 3.3.0.4-1)
                        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

PPC? Sorry, I don't get it.

There's only one problem I've noticed with LO 3.3, it corrupted a file I was working on and saved in PPTX format. Of course, I was a fool for thinking I shouldn't have saved it in ODP format, too.
                          Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides
                            PPC? Sorry, I don't get it.
                            Power PC (LO runs on Mac's)
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                            X