This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a relief!

I upgraded to Kubuntu 9.10 a month ago. What a nightmare! KDE 4 is SO difficult to use. I restored my 8.04 backup this evening. What a relief!
    I am relatively new to Linux, but quite experienced with DOS and Windows.&nbsp; I&#39;m comfortable editing things like fstab, etc., but I need specific instructions of what files to edit and what to add.<br /><br />My system is Kubuntu 10.10, using KDE 4.5.1.

Re: What a relief!

Hi, I've just upgraded from 8.04 to 9.10 myself. For those who want a smooth upgrade experience, I recommend waiting 4 weeks from the release date, to let some of the bugs get ironed out.

That said, I had some major issues myself, and although I find the KDE4 interface a bit rough in some spots (like adding icons to the quick launchers, etc.), overall I'm glad I finally made the transition. Like anything else, it requires some change in the way you think about things (like going from the old MS Office interface to the 2007 one). But, of course, you should stick with whatever you feel best suits your needs at this point in time (certainly better than being frustrated).
    Kubuntu 9.10 i386; Ubuntu 8.04 on Xen; Maemo 5

Comment

Re: What a relief!

Although you will find this hard to believe right now, eventually, you will find KDE4 to be EASIER to use than KDE3. Like anything worth doing, you will have to learn how, though. That's why we're here.

I'd be interested to know which things were so difficult to do in KDE4 that they made you regard it as a nightmare. I remember trying to use Intrepid (Kubuntu 8-10) when KDE4 first came out. I thought that was a nightmare, because not only did I have to learn a new way of doing things, but also, KDE4.0 was never meant to be used by regular users. However, by the time Jaunty (9-04) came out, KDE worked and I was used to it. Karmic (Kubuntu 9-10) is even better. Personally, I wouldn't dream of reverting to Hardy at this point, even though I liked it.

Please use the facilities of this site to learn. Other people have had the same problems that you are having and they solved them. Search for their solutions. If you find that some of your requirements are unique, or if there are things that you really can't find a way to do, post your problems here.

Of course, if you really want to stay with Hardy, go ahead.

Comment

Working...
      X