This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I finally decided

After fiddlin', tinkerin' and just generally messing around, I've finally decided that Kubuntu is my favorite.

Its all started about 7 months ago when a friend of a friend's friend found an Ubuntu 4.10 CD on a table in a library and didn't throw it away. I'd not even heard of such a thing until then. (I need to get her a bottle of something for Christmas )

I finally decided to get serious about it with the release of Dapper, and I've spent the last few days playing with live CD's for Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu...and here I am. I have Kubuntu on an HP Media Center PC (a1223w) and a Toshiba Satellite Laptop.

I do everything online now, including my banking and billpay...and when I was using windows, there were all sort of factory installed applications harrassing my firewall, wanting access to the internet to call people I don't know in places I've never heard of and send them info that I'm not privy to, and that just made me nervous.

And I take LOTS of digital photos, and Krita just rocks

I spoke too soon...I just installed Gimp, and I like it better

So hello, how are everyones?

Re: Well, I finally decided

Hi, Naglfari, welcome to Kubuntu.

I've only been using this myself since last August but have the same happy story as you. Have had a few little problems here and there, but have ALWAYS received great help from the good people on these forums.

BTW, if you haven't already, have a look at Digicam. I use it for my photos and its a wonderful app.

Cheers

Lowey
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Hi I've been a die-hard Windows XP user for the last few years, mostly for gaming. My girlfriend gave me her old laptop (the kids monopolise the gaming rig ) and I was having no end of hassles with XP, so I had a look at some of the linux distros. I got a live cd of Ubuntu, had a play for a few hours, and loved it. It ran almost as fast as XP. And that was from a cd! So I dual boot installed, and played merrily for a week or so. Then I realised I hadn't booted into windows for a week, and there was 10Gb of HDD sitting there doing nothing, so I bit the bullet and formatted and reinstalled, with just Ubuntu. And I loved it. Then i installed the KDE desktop, and haven't looked back I can't understand why it's taken me so long to discover something as wonderful as Kubuntu...I keep asking myself why a multi billion dollar company can't do what a group of people CAN do for free! Add/Remove programs was my first wow I think....Instead of spending 2 hours trying to track down a time limited demo of a program, then installing/rebooting/crashing, I can just find the program I want, and install it. Genius!

Comment

I to am fairly new to the Kubuntu crew. I messed around with probably 10 or more distros before settling in with the "K". I'm still getting the small quirks ironed out like trying to get a little better resolution, and the 3D environment but other than that the install was flawless after i made the Kubuntu hard drive #1 and the XP hard drive #2. Hey there's something to be said about that statement. But i digress. Anyhoo, i still havn't convinced the little woman and the boys to convert completly yet but after i work out the kinks that should be no problem.

Comment

Working...
        X