This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had To Install Karmic

So this past Thursday, my copy of Karmic came in the mail from Shipit. On Friday, I saved my /home to my removable hard drive. Again on Friday, I managed to completely bork my JJ install. Have no idea how, have no idea what could have caused it to do what it did.

Usually, I won't install a new Kubuntu for a few weeks after final. Well, this time it was do or die or do without . So this afternoon (Saturday) after spending some time trying figure out what really was wrong with JJ, I said the heck with it, plopped the Karmic CD in and mashed the restart button.An hour later, I was back up, had all my personal stuff without the need to go back to the removeable -- even once, the latest b43-fwcutter was installed, and the first crop of bug fixes was installed.

Believe me, that has NEVER happened 8).

This is the best Kubuntu ever!!
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Re: Had To Install Karmic

Great to hear! So far i can say i've been very impressed as well. My 4 year old laptop even is the best it has been. Smooth, smooth, smooth.

Cheers!

Comment

Re: Had To Install Karmic

I don't want to turn this into a full-blown review conversation, but I just gotta say ...

I'm lovin' what I hear If you look at my laptop's specs (in my sig), you will see why I'm happy.

In almost every previous release of Kubuntu (and other Linuxes), playing sound while doing anything else usually results in a lot of clipping, skipping, popping, and in short a bad audio experience. Now I'm not saying that Karmic is completely without issues -- but I love my music, including internet radio. It is a pleasure; a mind boggling, ear tickling, gorgeous sound experience that I am listening to right now. I have mplayer (with smplayer front-end). I have a few SKY.FM links in my play list, and a couple of other radio stations, and there is nothing but clear, good, balanced sound coming out of my speakers. The downloads finished in what seemed to be normal time. No pops, no runs, no errors. A while ago I was downloading some files with absolutely nothing but beautiful sound. I love it
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
      X