Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to make a webpage. How can I make "this" feature?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to make a webpage. How can I make "this" feature?

Here's what I was planning to do basically:

I want to make a webpage that has a blog in one of it's pages. Sort of like a blog integrated into the webpage. The main page (index.htm) would have a navigation bar at the side (or top), some links at the bottom, etc, and a blog in the main part.

The reasons I want something like this are:
    1. I don't want to be limited, in terms of what I can do/add, by regular blogging services (blogger, for example). Most blogs are really just blog entries, with an additional page for a profile. The only way to add other content would be to link to an outside webpage.
    2. But I want the ease of adding entries that blogs offer. You know, where you just type in an entry and it will be added automatically. And that you could edit each entry individually. Also, the feature that lets other people comment on my entries is a nice feature.
    3. I want an integrated website. I could probably have a webpage and a blog, then put the blog in a frame so that it could be seen inside the website, but that wouldn't be integrate. Also, last time I checked, frames in HTML wasn't that recommended.

I'm very good (I think) with HTML and have had past experience with it, never used WYSIWYG editors, though. Just plain notepad.  I also have very minimal knowledge with Javascript and CSS, but I could take the time and effort to learn. However, I can't make studying them a full-time activity, as I have other things to do. That's why I'm looking for something that would make my website easy to maintain, like how blogs are easy to maintain. And I don't want to use Flash, to make everyone's lives easier.

So what should I do, where should I start? What do I need to learn, and what software do I need? I've heard some things like CMS, but I don't know exactly what that could do, and I have no plans of running a forum anyway.

Anyone has any ideas how to make this dream of mine into a reality? I'd really appreciate any input/pointers.

Thanks in advance!

IMPORTANT EDIT: I won't be running/hosting the webpage on my own PC due to limits on my ISP and on the electricity bill. I'll be using a free web hosting service. I'm not sure if there are free services that allow PHP and MySQL, but I'm still looking.
    Jucato's Data Core

Re: Going to make a webpage. How can I make "this" feature?

try cutenews. I used it a while back and was amazed. It's too bad it uses tables and no style sheets (just style="" tags). Also, I think it has an ad now, but nothing major (just "powered by CuteNews")

Just look at the code for embedding into a page (it's in the help or something like that) and copy and paste it, and save the page as .php
    <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Re: Going to make a webpage. How can I make &quot;this&quot; feature?

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I forgot to mention one very important fact: I won't be hosting my own site on my PC and I will be looking for a free web hosting service. I actually already have one, freewebs.com, but it doesn't allow PHP/MySQL, just like any other free web hosting service. So that severely limits what I can do.

Right now I'm looking at WordPress. However, I think I was totally confused. I thought that I could use the WordPress software to make my own page/blog and host in on WordPress.com. Seems like it doesn't work that way after all.

*sigh* I'm beginning to think that what I was envisioning is impossible, given the limited resources I have (hosting, PHP, etc). But I'll keep on looking.

Thanks again!
      Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Re: Going to make a webpage. How can I make &quot;this&quot; feature?

Originally posted by Jucato
        Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I forgot to mention one very important fact: I won't be hosting my own site on my PC and I will be looking for a free web hosting service. I actually already have one, freewebs.com, but it doesn't allow PHP/MySQL, just like any other free web hosting service. So that severely limits what I can do.

Right now I'm looking at WordPress. However, I think I was totally confused. I thought that I could use the WordPress software to make my own page/blog and host in on WordPress.com. Seems like it doesn't work that way after all.

*sigh* I'm beginning to think that what I was envisioning is impossible, given the limited resources I have (hosting, PHP, etc). But I'll keep on looking.

Thanks again!
        freewebspace.net
        free-webhosts.com

Sorry took so long to reply... I rarely enter the off topic section :P
        <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Working...
        X