Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion Question...But anybody can answer it!!?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Religion Question...But anybody can answer it!!?

you do know the bible is the most genocidal book written right? and that more wars have been fought in "gods" name than anything else?
    love thy neighbor... as long as they practice the same religion.

I'm not judging religious people, I am merely pointing out their hypocrisy.

Your analogy regarding someone of color has no basis as people cannot choose the color of their skin or where they are born. But they most certainly choose what to believe in.

&quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

But you are assuming that every religious person has a homicidal view of religion and that is not true. For one thing the Bible is only important in 3 of the major religions, Judaism, Christianity , and Islam and knowledgeable people realize that it should not be taken literally. Learning to understand what the authors of the Bible were saying requires a lot of study about who wrote it and in what circumstances it was written. Believe me, few people you have met have bothered to understand the Bible. Many wars have been fought in the name of religion. Some of them were even about religion, but most were about power, and religion has always been a source of power.
      love thy neighbor... as long as they practice the same religion.
      is certainly not what Jesus or other Rabbi's before or after him meant when they said it. Many people have either misunderstood or misused those words to their own ends. That does not mean that Jesus did not say them or that he did not live by them. In fact there is good historical information that he did live by them, as did Ghandi and Martin Luther King.

The fact that ignorant people do atrocious things based on their faulty interpretation of the Bible is not the fault of the Bible, any more than ignorant people doing atrocious things based on their interpretation of the US Constitution is the fault of the Constitution. It is wrong to judge all religious people based on your faulty knowledge of Christianity, or the behavior people who base their behavior on a faulty understanding of Christianity, just as it is wrong to judge all of Islam based on the actions of terrorist factions.

Comment

first, do a little more reading on Ghandi or King before siting them as good followers of faith.
        and not just the books speaking about the good things they did.
        I am not saying that they did not do great things, but..

anyways, again... I never said all people of religion and I said people are free to believe what they want.. but, to try and say that the only way to treat each other as brothers and sisters is through religion is categorically false.

But you are assuming that every religious person has a homicidal view of religion and that is not true.
        I do not remember ever saying that.

Learning to understand what the authors of the Bible were saying requires a lot of study about who wrote it and in what circumstances it was written.
        which version of the bible are you speaking of?

It is wrong to judge all religious people based on your faulty knowledge of Christianity, or the behavior people who base their behavior on a faulty understanding of Christianity, just as it is wrong to judge all of Islam based on the actions of terrorist factions.
        The only assumptions going on are what you think I am saying. My knowledge of Christianity is probably better than most since I have actually read the entire bible.

&quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Working...
        X