X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cordless phones safe ?

Hi all
    I just ordered a couple of cordless phones, only to be told by my daughter that they were dangerous and that my wife would not have them in the house
    What are your views on this subject am I going to have to send them back ?

Re: Cordless phones safe ?

I'd say they're more or less about as dangerous as microwave ovens or cell phones...although, some experts say they're much more dangerous than cell phones.

Nevertheless, I'd say go for it, unless you're really concerned about microwave radiation.

Here's a health blog:

http://www.emf-health.com/blog/2006/...rous-than.html

Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Comment

You'll note that the people at the cited site are TRYING TO SELL YOU SOMETHING!!! So I'd take their advice with caution. While it's certainly true to that people nowadays are exposed to a lot more RF radiation than our ancestors, I suspect that we're still okay. The quantities aren't that large.

Comment

out of curiosity ,do you guys use cordless phones ?

Comment

I've had a cordless phone for over fifteen years. Have a cell phone as well (but it's for work, and I don't use it a lot).

There is a lot of hype about whether or not cordless phones and cell phones 'cause cancer,' and it's difficult to separate the "wheat" from the "chaff." The Fact or Fiction?: Cell Phones Can Cause Brain Cancer article is a good read.

Also see Electromagnetic field (EMF), electromagnetic radiation (EMR)
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

out of curiosity ,do you guys use cordless phones ?
            I don't even answer our land line when caller-id is blocked.

Comment

askrieger: While it's certainly true to that people nowadays are exposed to a lot more RF radiation than our ancestors, . . .
              We're probably in general agreement, and I'm not trying to be argumentative but...
              It seems to me that someone spending most of the day outside could possibly be getting more RF radiation from the sun than someone inside a house most of the day would get from the low level radiation sources we have there nowadays.

I'm basically with everyone else here, there is not much evidence either way. One thing to note, though, is that whatever the level of radiation from a phone, and whatever the possible risk from it, there is a relationship to the exposure time. For the person who has typical 1 or 2 minute conversations I suspect the potential problem is low. For the person who talks on the phone for hours at a time the situation is different.

Comment

Oops! That was the wrong link I posted! :P It could still be right, but...don't take it as 100%.

I do use cordless phones myself. It seems that everyday they're saying "x gives you cancer," so I don't worry about it. You've got more of a chance of dying while driving, I'd say. (Don't quote me on that.)
                Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Comment

It seems to me that someone spending most of the day outside could possibly be getting more RF radiation from the sun than someone inside a house most of the day would get from the low level radiation sources we have there nowadays.
                  Unless you live in a metal house, being inside or out makes very little difference. RF (radio frequency) radiation with wave lengths in the range between roughly 1 mm and 1 km goes through ordinary building materials (remember radio and tv before cable). RF is almost entirely man-made. Wavelengths shorter than that are heat, light, UV, and things absorbed by the atmosphere. Wavelengths longer than that are effectively static electric and magnetic fields. The solar photosphere has an effective black body temperature of 5 or 6 thousand degrees, which means its emission peaks in the visible. That's why our eyes are designed/evolved to see in that range. RF is almost entriely man-made. Hence, it effectively didn't even exist before Heinrich Hertz and Guglielmo Marconi. Fortunately, it goes through people as easily it goes through walls. Very little of it is absorbed.

Comment

Working...
                  X