This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just plain stupid kubuntu update

Sorry if this riles anyone, but I'm simply going to say it like it is, for me.

I just came home and found the system tray update widget indicating that there are updates. I KNOW better than to expect that clicking it will trigger the update. It used to, for for weeks I simply get told that I don't have permission to do the update. There's been no fix forthcoming. So, I've been doing "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", and that always just works.

So, tonight, after 5 hours of driving and a full days work in a distant city, I find that my Firefox is betting updated. Well, the truth is that the current edition is ver. 3.5, but we're now up to 3.0.1.4 on Ubuntu/Kubuntu. Not a big deal really. Kind of odd, though. I appears that today we're getting a security update - I think. Hell, what do I know? And I don't have time to figure it out. It's now 12:45 AM.

Launching Firefox, I get a page from Firefox telling me that it's urgent that I update my flash player.

OK. I download the update. It's identical to what I already have - well, identical file name. Again, what do *I* know?

So, I figure it'll do no harm to try to launch the update.

Clicking on it: "You don't have the necessary privileges to perform this action." Then:
    $ sudo ./install_flash_player_10_linux
    [sudo] password for tomc:
    sudo: ./install_flash_player_10_linux: command not found
    $ sudo install_flash_player_10_linux.deb
    sudo: install_flash_player_10_linux.deb: command not found
    $

I really don't have time for this nonsense. I'd love to recommend Kubuntu to my friends and family, but I dare not. I program (ruby), and have developed and managed web sites for over a decade, and I don't have a clue what's going on here. I guess my geekiness just isn't up to the task, incredibly enough.

Is there anyone at the helm or are we just adrift?

Tom

Re: just plain stupid kubuntu update

Tom,

If you've downloaded a .deb file then you either need to click it from the graphical file manager (Dolphin) or, if you prefer the command line, type: dpkg -i <filename.deb>

I know that might not be entirely obvious - the shame of it is that if you'd used the graphical interface it probably would have just worked, I think.

Comment

Work in the Dolphin? Yeah, I expected that too. In fact, that was the first thing I tried (I just didn't detail that I was in Dolphin when I click the deb file). That's when I didn't have sufficient permission. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THIS IS ABOUT?

I just read the "48 .deb's to install" thread, and learned of the "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" command.

So, I tried it:

$ sudo dpkg -i install_flash_player_10_linux.deb
      (Reading database ...
      dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `areca' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.
      218883 files and directories currently installed.)
      Preparing to replace adobe-flashplugin 10.0.32.18-1 (using install_flash_player_10_linux.deb) ...
      Unpacking replacement adobe-flashplugin ...
      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of adobe-flashplugin:
      adobe-flashplugin depends on libnspr4-dev; however:
      Package libnspr4-dev is not installed.
      adobe-flashplugin depends on libnss3-dev; however:
      Package libnss3-dev is not installed.
      dpkg: error processing adobe-flashplugin (--install):
      dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
      Errors were encountered while processing:
      adobe-flashplugin
      tomc@tomc-desktop:~/software_archive$

It's now 1:20AM. No sleep for the wicked.

I'm soooo done with the CLI at this point.

Moving to Synaptic, I fuddle through to a fix in short order. Flash plugin now looking OK.

This whole show is so very much not ready for ordinary people. That's sad. Most of the time I really like it. Tonight, I barefly have patience for the bumps and lurches.

t.

Comment

This whole show is so very much not ready for ordinary people
        If you want to be an administrator and install programs, you should have some root file manager at hand. I installed Krusader from repository and have red icon (made default during installation) in Kickoff-Application-System for these occasions. Downloaded DEB file is something like installation EXE file in Windows. Just doubleclick on it in Krusader and you are done.

Click red icon and doubleclick DEB file - is it too much?
        Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd

This whole show is so very much not ready for ordinary people. That's sad. Most of the time I really like it. Tonight, I barefly have patience for the bumps and lurches.
          I wouldn't attempt to run updates on ANY OS at 12:30 a.m. when I'm not in the mood to watch the computer tell me what to do.

Comment

I also like Krusader. Dolphin is okay, Krusader rocks. If you install it from the repos you'll get a root file manager in your K menu (red icon versus the blue icon) under Applications/System. If you don't have it, install it, you'll be glad you did.
            linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Comment

hold up thare a moment!!!!!

I just came home and found the system tray update widget indicating that there are updates. I KNOW better than to expect that clicking it will trigger the update. It used to, for for weeks I simply get told that I don't have permission to do the update.
              this should NOT happen...............!!!

Q-1 did the updater ever work for you?

Q-2 if it did do you remember what kind of stuff you were doing befor it quit.

Q-3 are you an admin?

post the output of

Code:
              groups
              hears mine

vinny@desktop:~$ groups
              vinny adm dialout cdrom plugdev lpadmin admin sambashare
              vinny@desktop:~$
              it sounds like a permishon ishue..........??

truthfuley KPackagekit is a little off I would install synaptic and use it for instaling stuff as it WILL pull in the dependencys.

Code:
              sudo apt-get install synaptic

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

1. If you install a local .deb file, gdebi might be a better solution than dpkg, because it installs dependencies first. If you use the grapical interface, you should right click it, then select Open with/GDebi package installer, because by default KDE opens .deb files with Ark (you can change it in System Settings).

2. There is a package in the multiverse repository called adobe-flashplugin. If you install this, you won't need to manually install it.

Comment

Originally posted by petersohn
                  1. If you install a local .deb file, gdebi might be a better solution than dpkg, because it installs dependencies first. If you use the grapical interface, you should right click it, then select Open with/GDebi package installer, because by default KDE opens .deb files with Ark (you can change it in System Settings).

2. There is a package in the multiverse repository called adobe-flashplugin. If you install this, you won't need to manually install it.
                  "gdebi" - interesting. Totally new to me.

"adobe-flashplugin" - yeah - finding that in Synaptic was what saved my bacon.

I can (with the not-infrequent help of this fine list) muddle through on all this stuff. I'm just struck by how completely impossible this stuff would be for most people. That's not likely to change. And...I suppose it's a really good thing that Ubuntu/Kubuntu and Linux in general is and will likely remain a little fish in a big pond. I'm so glad the psychopaths run after the 800 Redmond gorilla rather than us.

Comment

Originally posted by josefko
                    This whole show is so very much not ready for ordinary people
                    If you want to be an administrator and install programs, you should have some root file manager at hand. I installed Krusader from repository and have red icon (made default during installation) in Kickoff-Application-System for these occasions. Downloaded DEB file is something like installation EXE file in Windows. Just doubleclick on it in Krusader and you are done.

Click red icon and doubleclick DEB file - is it too much?
                    Probably not. I'll try Krusader. Have never heard of it. Thanks for the recommendation.

My central point remains this: updates, especially to major programs like Firefox, should just work. In this case, I took one step off the beaten path and was up to my knees in mud. Hard to see this as my screw up.

I strongly suggest that we need to stop being tolerant of this sort of thing. I cannot scream about this too loudly, however, simply because I don't have the skills to aid in the solution. I can only do so much, and my expertise lies elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                      Originally posted by tomcloyd

I wouldn't attempt to run updates on ANY OS at 12:30 a.m. when I'm not in the mood to watch the computer tell me what to do.
                      Hmm. You just may have a point.

Comment

hold up thare a moment!!!!!

"just came home and found the system tray update widget indicating that there are updates. I KNOW better than to expect that clicking it will trigger the update. It used to, for for weeks I simply get told that I don't have permission to do the update."

this should NOT happen...............!!!
                        Yeah.

Q-1 did the updater ever work for you?
                        Yep - which I mentioned in my first paragraph.

Q-2 if it did do you remember what kind of stuff you were doing befor it quit.
                        It was a while back, but the problem developed after or shortly after an update - a number of updates back. When I posted here about it, no one had a solution, other than to suggest I use apt-get dist-upgrade. I've been relying on that ever since.

Q-3 are you an admin?

post the output of

Code:
                        groups
                        it sounds like a permishon ishue..........??

truthfuley KPackagekit is a little off I would install synaptic and use it for instaling stuff as it WILL pull in the dependencys.
                        My OS/machine is mine. I'm an admin. with I use "sudo..." As pointed out in my original email. that only got me deeper into the swamp.

Here my
                        Code:
                        groups
                        output -

Code:
                        $ groups
                        tomc am dialout cdrom plugdev lpadmin admin sambashare
                        I don't know what to do with this. Could probably research this, but I simply can't research bloody everything. Much of it, especially stuff like official routine updates, needs to just work.

Better than that: When I program, I write test for my code. While I don't have it set up this way, I COULD have the test run periodically to verify that my code hasn't been broken of late. It surely would be nice if core system functions - say updating - could be automatically checked like that. Dream, on, yeah? Still, a lovely idea.

t.

Comment

updates, especially to major programs like Firefox, should just work.
                          It's Canonical policy to update programs to new versions only together with distro upgrade and I respect it.
                          For me it means that if an update is simple I do it, otherwise I patiently wait until the end of October for Kubuntu Karmic again for free.

You must learn something to use Linux, you needed to learn something to use Windows too. Think of Kubuntu as it is the second foreign language, which is easier to learn than first one, but not without effort.

Mostly there is more than one way to do things, some of your teachers here likes shell, but if you don't like it you can mostly do without it.

I think your last problem concerns blocked updates. Here is my explanation:
                          is it possible to make the blocked updates disappear?
                          I use Synaptic (Reload - Mark All Upgrades - Apply) for that for several months. I think who likes GUI uses Synaptic, who likes shell uses apt-get.
                          why does the hover report 8 available updates and the application report 4 blocked updates?
                          I found that blocked updates of a new kernel are useful in some cases and maybe are not an error of KPackagekit. When you have compiled drivers by yourself and run a kernel update, you must compile again. So sometimes is better to wait with kernel updates and let them blocked.
                          Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

I've been following (lurking) this thread since it began. Some of us bedlieve that Linux really should be (and sometimes is) easier to use than its high price competitors. Today, I noticed something in the first message that reminded of something that recently happened to me.
                            Launching Firefox, I get a page from Firefox telling me that it's urgent that I update my flash player.
                            Did you by any chance notice whether the site from which you installed the update ended in ".ru"? Personally, I DID notice and DID NOT install the flashplayer malware, that I'm conjecturing that you might have installed. Linux is almost immune to exploits, but Flash is very definitely not immune.

I'm sorry, if this sounds like "blaming the victim" and I apologize, if you feel that I've done so.

Comment

Working...
                            X