Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ergonomic Mouse Pads (with kubuntu design?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ergonomic Mouse Pads (with kubuntu design?)

Hi Folks,
    I'm thinking about getting an ergonomic mouse pad as I am beginning to feel strain in my right arm since I moved from my laptop to a proper desktop PC.

What do you use and do you have any recommendations? I thought of getting something with a wrist rest.

I also thought it would be nice to have a mouse pad with the kubuntu logo on it. Does anyone know if something like that is available at all? I did find a couple but none of them have wrist rests.

Chopstick

Re: Ergonomic Mouse Pads (with kubuntu design?)

Personally, I'd suggest a greater shift than a mouse pad. I use a 2 inch diameter Kensington trackball. The only thing you move to reposition the cursor is your index finger.

Comment

I have post polio syndrome so also have serious ergonomic concerns. For other personal reasons I try to avoid the use of the mouse anyway but can't get away from it nowadays. One thing is to learn a few more shortcuts. KDE is brilliant in that respect.

Another solution for me is to use a comfortable chair with arms. I rest my arms on the chair and have attached a completely adjustable pad so that there is no forced bends of any kind in my wrist when I use the mouse. That is to say, the pad is placed according to where my hand already is, and not the other way around. It is important to not have any reverse bend in the wrist. Look at classical piano players, or talk to a competent piano teacher. With several hundred years of serious ergonomic study behind them, these people have much to teach us.

There are some other related things about my setup which are unique, but easy to do, but I will leave that alone for now. There is a picture where you can just see the corner of the arm of the chair here: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...9&postcount=21 I'll explain more if you're interested.

Comment

I guess I do not have that many options with regard to changing my environment... it's my office computer, and I'm not yet in the position that I can oder my own furniture...
        (Though my supervisor trust me with ordering computer hardware .)

I guess I can not go very much beyond the mouse pad at the moment. I already have an ergonomic mouse which I think is quite good (from M$ ).

But this armchair mount might be an option. Can you, Ole Juul, tell me where to get something like that?

Comment

Hi Chopstick,
          The chair mount I have is a very strange find. I think it was some sort of over-complicated speaker mount. I found it in a thrift shop as just a box of adjusting knobs and brackets - there will never be another like it. It was also necessary to add the platform part... sorry.

If you want to try something similar, it's not that hard to make a round disk and put a foam cover on it. The trick is to find, or make, some part that will connect to whatever chair in exactly the right place - and hopefully be adjustable. I used to work in a music store and we had a lot of interesting brackets and clamps for percussion. Look in a well stocked drum or percussion shop and you just might find the bits you need.

Your idea of using a wrist rest is good. That can take some of the weight off the arm and shoulder. My thoughts on the subject are that if you were feeling a strain in your arm (as opposed to your wrist) then you might want to look at the height and not just the wrist angle. I think that a normal desk is much too high to put a mouse on. You can then use a small side table (adjustable percussion stand?) or even pull out a drawer. Note though, that if you put the mouse lower, then you might have to tilt the pad forward a bit (like I do) so as to keep the wrist from bending backward a small amount. There are lots of solutions. Like I said earlier: check out piano players - they've been working on this for a long time.
          -Ole

Comment

I think you mention a very important point, Ole. I think the desk is way too high. I already increased the hight of my chair, but it still seems too high. I have one of these drawers for the keyboard, but it does not have room for a mouse.

I wonder if it is possible to attach something like the keyboard drawer for the mouse (beneath the table); it does not even have to be sliding.

I'm already trying to get away from using the mouse at much as possible (KDE is really good here) but I have not yet found a satisfying way to switch between windows and window panes within applications (which is unavoidable).

Comment

I forgot about the pull-out keyboard drawers, but that's a great way to get things a bit lower and take some stress off the upper body. It would be easy to take a piece of 1/4 ply in some nice shape and attach it with three wood screws. Make sure you predrill (a little auger works) the screw holes in the plastic and that the overlap is big enough to accommodate the stress.

I was actually thinking of a side drawer. I know that sounds crazy, but why not? Of course, it depends on the type of desk and what you can find to put on top of the drawer. This could be a really simple solution that doesn't necessarily involve any handicraft or purchases.

Regarding commercial attachments: I just noticed that you're in TO. You know, that's a pretty big town and certainly has some good music stores. Try Just Drums or Long and McQuade, or whatever. They'll all know what you're talking about (and ask for used). A practice pad on a stand is a really common item and is completely adjustable in height and angle. There are different models, but the one I am thinking about is a 9" or larger pad on a snare stand or similar. They're made for practicing your flams and paradiddles (rudiments) without keeping the neighbours awake. I'll bet the surface is suitable for an optical mouse too, and will last forever. Drum stands can be relatively cheap and are always sturdy. However, to a similar end, my partner uses a small side table beside her chair - that works too.

PS: There is a huge choice in stands but here is a generic one shown without a pad: http://www.8notes.com/gear/TAMHS30TP.asp

Comment

Working...
              X