X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows Vista

Originally posted by Segovia
    [
    Everything you say about security is probably correct, however.

http://secunia.com/product/11/

Internet Explorer with SP2 and all current patches = "Currently, 20 out of 86 Secunia advisories, is marked as "Unpatched" in the Secunia database."
    Security, security? Oh, sorry I forgot - I'm operating behind a Linux based router/firewall. Will Vista have a firewall with the security of Linux iptables?

Jim Ford

Comment

Buy stock in Microsoft, to make some money.

Use Linux for computing.

To every thing there is a purpose ...

That's my advice.

Comment

the only real problem with vista is that it is not as secret as microsoft would wish, the license key crack is out, so we are bound to see some further WGA update shortly, that is after we have got our downloaded copy of vista's ISO from the net and thought that we would get away with it, we won't but like with XP some genuine users might find there system blocked, and yes it seems that Vista can be disativated by microsoft on line,

And the other problem is burning(as in ripping) which vista is not allowing, then there is the price, and lastly there is EULA, all of which is acceptable to Mr. Average because windows has the games he likes and recognises his ipod with the latest DRM stuff.

Anyway, vista seems to be OK on the boards where I help out, but there seems to be neither a rush for it nor an outright rejection of it, everyone just seems to be waiting for other people to try it out for them in the hope that the SP1 will iron out the bugs for them to buy it by Christmas.
        every day is a gift

Comment

my windows expert here in the department says that there's nothing in windows vista that is of any interest to the end-user. he says windows vista introduces new stuff, that, for now, will only be of interest to developers (windows presentation foundation and stuff...).

i've never used windows in my life.
          never needed to.
          but, if you ask me...
          from what i see...
          i would say the following:

IF you don't do anything important with your computer
          THEN you may use microsoft windows
          ELSE don't

PS:
          i'm in the process of freeing myself from .mp3.
          my music will be encoded in .ogg from now on.
          i've installed rock box on my ipod to that end.
          gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Originally posted by analyticalman
            Personally I'm sticking with Linux. I actually have to work at it to screw it up!

sudo chmod -r 777 /

Voila! useless system.
            Seriously, though, linux is by far the most stable system out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin T Cox
              Vista may (or may not) be more secure than XP, but at a price and for a purpose: not to protect your system, but to protect the rights of the holders of copyright in 'premium content'.

<quote>
              Windows Vista includes an extensive reworking of core OS elements in order to provide content protection for so-called "premium content", typically HD data from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sources. Providing this protection incurs considerable costs in terms of system performance, system stability, technical support overhead, and hardware and software cost.
              </quote>

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36570

Nuff said?

What 'rights' are we talking about here?

Let me give an example. Say i'm a composer. I write/record a song, and sell it on an album. What are my rights?
              1. I am the copyright holder, so i can decide on distribution, if any.
              2. I have the right not to have people illegally copy my music

However, rights i do NOT have that M$ seems to think are "rights" would include (but are certainly not limited to):
              1. setting time limits on ownership (you can listen to a song for 90 days before paying a fee, you can listen to the song x times before paying a fee, whatever...)
              2. setting limits on the devices I can copy the music to for PERSONAL use. Copying a CD to your computer, ipod, and 4 other computers is NOT illegal, as long as you don't give your music away
              3. removing a person's right to listen to music they have purchased (e.g. no matter how many times I reinstall, refresh, listen to it, move it, copy it, etc., i still have the legal right to listen to it.). This right isn't necessarily specifically "enforced", but is inherent: if there is a time limit, or if there is a device limit, i will at some point lose my right to use what I have purchased.

Microsoft has no right to do this to people, and if this isn't clear, just go to http://www.gnu.org and read up on the free software philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by jakykong
                Microsoft has no right to do this to people, and if this isn't clear, just go to http://www.gnu.org and read up on the free software philosophy.
                Well .... to keep the discussion honest, I think Microsoft has every right to offer their goods under ANY TERMS that the consumer of their goods will accept. That's the free market.

Those of us on this forum have (apparently) found a viable alternative to accepting their terms, and I personally will work to spread the word that there is another way. That's the free market, too. The better this OS gets, in terms of being very friendly and forgiving to the non-proficient user, the more the Windows installed base will take a look.

Comment

From the user point of view what I can say is this:

- Now that XP is finally offering some "stability" M$ launch the so called Vista
                  - Vista is way too demanding on the hardware side and that's really a disadvantage not a feature
                  - The interface on Vista gives the impression that you are using Linux on some apps (bad copy from a great ORIGINAL)
                  - Setting up a Home network is a pain in the neck
                  - Except for the booting process and the location of some apps it's XP with a new "dress"
                  - It's really annoying to get asked to perform security checks requesting permission to do things (install software) every 5 seconds.

And yes, I know my typing stinks, English is not my first language.

Regards,

MepisReign
                  Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

The vista most people will get (home) is about as secure as xp. So you will have to upgrade to business or ultimate (more$ for MS) to benefit from the so called "better security".

Also this just wandered into my inbox today, very enlightening :P:
                    http://pcpitstop.com/news/rob/rcheng0704.asp

This is marketing at its best or worst depending on the viewpoint.

Really: "hasta la vista baby!"
                    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                      Originally posted by jakykong
                      Well .... to keep the discussion honest, I think Microsoft has every right to offer their goods under ANY TERMS that the consumer of their goods will accept. That's the free market.

Those of us on this forum have (apparently) found a viable alternative to accepting their terms, and I personally will work to spread the word that there is another way. That's the free market, too. The better this OS gets, in terms of being very friendly and forgiving to the non-proficient user, the more the Windows installed base will take a look.
                      My intention with the statement was not in regards to windows -- I haven't any problem with microsoft releasing terms for their operating system -- or other software -- but DRM is, in my opinion, out of their legal scope.

To be clear, what is beyond their legal scope is when microsoft uses their software to restrict or remove anyone's rights to use something that isn't their software -- music, electronic books, software from other vendors, etc.

Sorry for the confusion.

Good news is, microsoft has recently removed DRM from most of their Zune products -- so DRM may not be a problem much longer anyway, depending if they keep it up (there are details at http://defectivebydesign.org). Here's hoping -- maybe one day windows will be free software

Comment

IMO Vista is slightly better than XP but just more eye candy and too bloated.
                        Several complaints with people who tried to upgrade to Vista over the Internet a few articles on PCWorld.com about this.
                        I will not be getting Vista for at least another year. Right now I am trying out both Kubuntu and Ubuntu and so far I am pretty happy with both of them.

There is a possibility that I may start to use less and less MS and start to get more familiar with Linux but can not give up MS completely since I am trying to move up in the IT field and MS is the popular software.

Comment

Originally posted by newbienNJ
                          There is a possibility that I may start to use less and less MS and start to get more familiar with Linux but can not give up MS completely since I am trying to move up in the IT field and MS is the popular software.
                          IMHO, Linux will probably be more important in the IT field than windows. Windows is only prevalent on desktops -- servers are (now) almost exclusively non-windows. There are alternatives -- netware, Linux, BSD, Solaris, to name a few. Windows servers are both inefficient and cost-prohibitive.

(this assumes you mean you intend to run servers/networks)

But, I can't say I've had a job in the field yet -- i'm only 17; haven't had the chance. I can't tell you with any experience what you'll run into, don't take my word as gospel truth. Fair warning, this is an opinion!

Comment

It has all been said, the price for Vista, the price for every piece of software you want to install on it (except the open source alternatives, but average users don't know about those), the DRM. Linux is free, Kubuntu is free, but it still needs our support.

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/donations

I will end up owning and using Vista, because my job dictates it. And I will have to support it being a technician. But I will support the right to choose my software and help those around me know there is an option.
                            Speak the gospel of (K)Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by ageilers
                              It has all been said, the price for Vista, the price for every piece of software you want to install on it (except the open source alternatives, but average users don't know about those), the DRM. Linux is free, Kubuntu is free, but it still needs our support.

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/donations

I will end up owning and using Vista, because my job dictates it. And I will have to support it being a technician. But I will support the right to choose my software and help those around me know there is an option.
                              The point of free software is freedom -- the freedom to choose is among them (albeit an inferred freedom, since the fact that you can make a better version leaves it up to the next person to choose which version is better; thus, there must be freedom of choice).

Perhaps there are users who actually DO want windows (i'm certainly not one of them!). And for them, i'm all for it -- I believe proprietary software is unethical, but who am I to judge if someone uses it? There's a HUGE difference between making and using software

In any event, there's no ethical dilemma created by supporting a non-free operating system. In fact, there is the possibility that one IS made by not supporting said operating system -- that is, you've just alienated a good chunk of your customers.

For whatever it's worth, Well said!

Comment

This is for the original question asked in this thread.

NO!

Comment

Working...
                                X