This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone

Just thought I drop in and say hi. I'm a fugative from Suse and Mepis, been using both of them for years. I've spent the last few days dist-hopping looking for something different than what I've been using. All I can say is holy cow Kubuntu is really slick, I didn't think I would be a kde4 fan but I'm really impressed and I really like the minimalist default package install from Kubuntu. Everything worked right off the bat except for maybe playing midi's. That didn't take but a minute to get going.

Re: Hello everyone

Awesome, thanks for the Hi message, hope we'll enjoy your company

Comment

Hello to you and glad you liked it.
      I came to Kubuntu after the HDD on my laptop died and I wanted an OS running from my USB stick. Slax comes with KDE and it blew me away for over a month. I decided to put Linux on my desktop also therefore and did not hesitate in choosing Kubuntu.
      KPackageKit has let me down four times now, however. Forget it. Get Synaptic as soon as you can. I also use VLC and Firefox but the rest stays as it came.
      Welcome and good bye.

Comment

Hi rezin -- welcome.

Comment

Hi Rezin, WELCOME to Kubuntu 9.04 !!

I was a MEPIS user before they moved to the deb package. I noticed that they have recently moved back to the rpm package system. I left MEPIS because its principal developer got sick and then needed to feed his family so he sort of left MEPIS languish for a while while he did contract work.

I moved from MEPIS to PCLinuxOS p.93, which was the first distro I ran that automatically detected and configured just about everything on my desktop, at the time. I stayed with it for three years, until Mandriva announced that it was going to release the 2009 PWP with KDE4 as the desktop. I loved KDE4.1 but Mandy couldn't see my GM45 video chip so I had to run it under VESA video while the XOrg worked on my (and others) bug report about the GM45 chip. They found a fix last February and I expected it to tale about 6 months to filter down to the next release of Mandy. At almost the same time Kubuntu announced the ALPHA 4 release of Jaunty Jackalope with KDE4.2. I was very curious so I booted the LivecD and was STUNNED to see it automatically detect and configure my GM45 video chip, along with EVERY OTHER piece of hardware on this notebook -- sound, mic, webcam, 1600X900 display... everything.

Needless to say, Kubuntu is now my new squeeze! When KDE4.3 makes it to the repository I shall be a happy camper indeed, because KDE4.2.4 has been the best Linux desktop I have ever used.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes. Well MEPIS is at version 8 now, the second reincarnation since moving back to debian from being a ubuntu derivative. Versions 6 and 6.5 were 'buntu derivatives, with 7 they went back to debian and now they are up to 8. Anyhow, I too became a little concerned when their developer had to set mepis aside for a while to feed himself. I understand how important that is but I don't think I will ever depend on a one-man show distro anymore.

Peace!

Comment

Welcome to the party
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
              X